Flea meds neurological side effects?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dam, big episodes right now over ten minutes, I think im taking her to the vet at this point, I get so much stress seeing her do this
I put her in her stroller and gave her cbd and shes under the mango tree and has calmed down but its almost night
Episodes in her stroller, i beought her back in the house and she went to hide under the recliner, her sick kitty spot

Last edited:

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
didnt you say you gave her a flea comb and you found 5 fleas on it??? She has fleas, it's flea season right now even with medication. As you know they multiple constantly. Take her to the vet though if it makes you feel better.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gave her a emergency blue dawn dish soap bath right now, the vet urgency is on monday morning, so pissed wanted to take her in today... Hurricane right next to us!

Not a single flea found

Sigh my anxiety is through the roof

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Went to the vet, her anal glands had to be expressed and she said there was a lot that came out and they were both different colors...We are hoping it is this causing her behavior, I showed them my videos and i call on thursday to let them know how she is....No meds or anything as we shall se if she has a positive response

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie still been doing her abnormal behavior, but yesterday I flea combed a live flea off her....
I also got a better flea comb yesterday and I cannot find anymore fleas...

How long does it take a allergic reaction to go away if there is indeed no more fleas on her? I cannot seem to find the answer no matter how much I search for it

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allie still been doing her abnormal behavior, but yesterday I flea combed a live flea off her....
I also got a better flea comb yesterday and I cannot find anymore fleas...

How long does it take a allergic reaction to go away if there is indeed no more fleas on her? I cannot seem to find the answer no matter how much I search for it
if you found a live flea on her yesterday, I guarantee there are more fleas on her and probably flea eggs which will eventually turn into fleas.

Have you given her cap-star before? that really knocks them out though the cat may go a bit crazy for an hour or two.

Ill just say that when it gets really hot outside like last month and this month, fleas are a super annoying problem.

and honestly that video you showed did not look awful. if she went to the vet and there were no other issues im pretty sure its fleas. realize there are WAY more than one meets the eye. Have you checked her stomach, tail, face, too?

after a while it could also be a habitual thing for her

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I flea comb her all day, I think wed I found a female(big) and thursday I found a male(small), I flea combed her all day yesterday and cannot find any...I thought she was cured cause when she woke up at 3pm she was symptom free until 8pm and then she went nuts....

I wonder if advantage multi is stronger then advantage 2? 10 days since her last dose of advantage 2.. I think shes hypersensitive to fleas now I hope

She does what she does in the video but she will continue doing it from place to place, it distresses me a lot as I have really bad anxiety issues for gods knows why, she eventually runs under the recliner and hides or sleeps

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I remember when looking up all these flea products, the main ingredient (Imidacloprid) in both is the same dosage amount. Each one contains another ingredient but for different purposes. Adv II also contains Pyriproxyfen, used to kill flea eggs/larvae/pupae. Adv Multi contains Moxidectin, for protection against heartworm, roundworms, and hookworms.

You could be experiencing what I am - and that is: it just seems Adv II is not as effective as it used to be. I have had better success reducing (NOT eliminating) the fleas by giving Feeby a treatment every two weeks. The instructions on Adv II state that it can be applied every 7 days when dealing with a flea infestation, but I haven't done that so far.

What is going on with your other cat? Are you treating both? Did you flea comb him/her too?

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I treat them both and I will wait for the two week mark like you and re apply....I try to flea comb Oliver but he always absolutly hates being combed...His fur is summer coat right now much easier then Allie and I dont find any on him although he gets minimal combing....They are not going near each other because Allie smells like dawn soap or vet smell...

I interupt Allies episodes with the flea comb, I think atm must be a single flea left on her if any

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try something else, if you can. This approach will tell you if you have fleas that you are not aware of. Take a dish of very soapy water and place it on the floor in an area that they normally spend time in but when they are not in that location. Use a lamp or whatever light source you have to shine directly over the dish - preferably in a darker spot or overnight, if you can keep the cats away from it. If there are fleas in that area, you will find them drown in the soapy water - the light is used to attract them to the dish. Or, if that is not possible, try getting this product (see link below) to use - I think I am going to get a couple of them because I can't keep Feeby away from the areas in my house that I want to test.
https://www.amazon.com/Aspectek-Odorless-Non-poisonous-Children-Friendly/dp/B00IZ11V5E

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I have two flea traps from amazon sticky bottoms running at night and I move them around sometimes, so far zero fleas in them in the last two weeks...I vacuum a lot though with my dyson v10 animal...I have one trap in my catio and also zero fleas, I also just treated my yard with bifen xts....

We also removed all our rugs

Im surprised feeby still has fleas as you been treating weeks before me

I also started applying jackson galaxy skin soother on Allie, I forgot I had that....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hesitate to even tell you this, but I have been treating Feeby, vacuuming and treating the inside of my house as well as the patio (and on lesser occasion the yard) for many months now.

But, that is good news about the flea traps you have used, imo. I have used my DIY light/soapy water technique a couple of times this week and no fleas. So, idk.

Any correlation between the skin soother and the most recent reaction?? Might Allie have a sensitivity to it too?? I would quit with the Dawn soap as well.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hesitate to even tell you this, but I have been treating Feeby, vacuuming and treating the inside of my house as well as the patio (and on lesser occasion the yard) for many months now.

But, that is good news about the flea traps you have used, imo. I have used my DIY light/soapy water technique a couple of times this week and no fleas. So, idk.

Any correlation between the skin soother and the most recent reaction?? Might Allie have a sensitivity to it too?? I would quit with the Dawn soap as well.
is your cat an outdoor-indoor cat? I had an outdoor indoor cat and found it almost impossible w fleas bc each time they'd go away, a few days later they'd just reappear bc she's an outdoor cat (even w medication)

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have two flea traps from amazon sticky bottoms running at night and I move them around sometimes, so far zero fleas in them in the last two weeks...I vacuum a lot though with my dyson v10 animal...I have one trap in my catio and also zero fleas, I also just treated my yard with bifen xts....

We also removed all our rugs

I also started applying jackson galaxy skin soother on Allie, I forgot I had that....
have you looked into cap-star? that really knocks them out as ive said before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
is your cat an outdoor-indoor cat? I had an outdoor indoor cat and found it almost impossible w fleas bc each time they'd go away, a few days later they'd just reappear bc she's an outdoor cat (even w medication)
Feeby's only exposure to the outdoors is a screened in patio; but, yes it is highly possible that could be the way that she is getting them. I do spray the patio much more often than I do the inside of the house, but still... Not that you would know this, but over 35 years in this house and we have never had an issue with fleas until this past year. :dunno:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave Allie Advantage again for the 4th time even though i could no loner find fleas at day 15 since the last dose....Its been 2 days and she still does her head cocking, frantic licking and run.....I still have hope that the allergy hasnt left her system yet but im also very afraid still the fleas or meds caused hyperesthesia or neurological disorder...

Its for certain both my cats are flea free at this point

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie still has the symptoms and now I more so say its hyperesthesia from the flea meds? I dont know...

I observe her lying down and her back end gets twitchy and shes like what the hell is going on and she licks and runs.....

At this point I only hope it only gets better and I still cannot believe this has affected my Allie...I am grateful she does not harm herself and on some days episodes are far between with some days worse... I do not plan on having her on any drugs, wish she was more acceptible to the cbd i have but she hates it

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be the fleas are are effected by the medicine - biting more aggressively in panic. Once the cat is flea-free and the behavior continues, then I would take him to vet.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie still gets symptoms of “hyperesthesia” she just had a bad attack that lasted quite a bit long...It has gotten better in the last month, she was fine all day but at night she seems to get episodes...She dashes around the house doing her thing while her back twitches, poor thing...

I do believe the flea meds did this to her

She has no fleas