Flea Med Question

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason not to use the cat's Advantage on the dog? I know you don't use the dog version on the cat because one ingredient in the dog's version is poisonous to cats. But otherwise aren't they the same? Our dog is an indoor dog so she isn't running with the fleas all day.

When we use the flea medicine Advantage for dogs on the dog we don't have to put any flea medicine on the indoor cat. It's true even though they don't go in the same parts of the house.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,

I was thinking it might be safer for the cat not to use the dog one on the dog. Someday they are going to get together...maybe.

Right now and in the past when we had dogs that were friendly with the cats. We kept them separated for an hour after we put the flea meds on the dogs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh. Not sure about that, but you CAN look up the ingredients for both online, check them off against each other, find ANYTHING in the cat version NOT in the dog version, and google that for safety. I don't recommend it, but I do know what financial constraints can do to us, as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage (NOT Advantix!) uses the same formulation for the cat and dog versions. As long as it's the right dose for the right size it's all good. This is not universal---make sure to check ingredients! But Advantage is one that's interchangeable.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Advantage (NOT Advantix!) uses the same formulation for the cat and dog versions. As long as it's the right dose for the right size it's all good. This is not universal---make sure to check ingredients! But Advantage is one that's interchangeable.
Do you know if this is still true for Advantage II? They recently changed the packaging on the dog to say not to use on cats, but I don’t see any change in ingredients. Going to contact the company to see what answer I get, but curious to hear from others. Bayer is also about to be bought out by Elanco, so wondering if this will change anything as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's still true unless they've recently changed the formula (always check every box for changes before using it!).