Flea Dirt?

Monica_ingram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a kitten about 2 weeks ago, it had fleas since then it’s had 3 flea baths but it keeps constantly scratching and when it’s done I notice black specks I assumed flea dirt but some pieces are huge chunks. I’m not sure if that’s what it is I’ve never had an inside cat before but it’s a lot and it’s left on my bed I also have 2 kids I have to keep changing the bed sheets to avoid them rolling in it. Please help. I’ve gone through cats fur as well and I find nothing.

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

That could well be flea dirt. To check, put some on a damp paper towel. If it turns reddish or brownish, it's flea dirt. If not, it's something else.

How old is your kitten? And what did you use to bath him with? You need to be very careful when using flea remedies, especially with kittens. Too much or overuse can be toxic, which gives you a whole other set of problems...not to mention potentially endangering his life. Your vet is the best person to advise you on flea treatment options. Provided the kitten is old enough, Frontline or Advantage spot-on treatments usually work best. Unlike flea baths (some of which are only repellents), they'll kill the adult fleas and their larvae, which will help guard against reinfestation. You must talk to your vet first, though. Depending on the flea shampoo, you may have to wait a while before applying the spot-on treatment, again because of potential toxicity if they're used close together.

Depending on his fur type, it can be pretty hard to get right down to the skin and get all the dirt out. The best tool is actually a flea comb. Its designed to remove fleas, but it's also pretty great at removing their dirt too. Flea combing will also give you a sense of how good or bad the current flea situation is.
Cat Fleas
How To Treat Fleas In Young Kittens
Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try bathing him with the blue dawn dish soap. It works well :)

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We bathed Kaia with the blue dawn dish soap when we got her - and then the vet also treated her for fleas. She just went for her second set of shots, and the vet STILL found some flea dirt on her (not much), so she got another flea treatment. Fleas are so pesky.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We bathed Kaia with the blue dawn dish soap when we got her - and then the vet also treated her for fleas. She just went for her second set of shots, and the vet STILL found some flea dirt on her (not much), so she got another flea treatment. Fleas are so pesky.
Wow! I kitten I rescued had LOTS of fleas as well as flea dirt. I gave him baths very often (maybe once a week) and eventually all the fleas and dirt were gone. It takes time...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems a lot for it to be flea dirt. I think the cat would need to be crawling in them and you should easily see dirt and fleas on the cat. Are you sure this is t little bits of litter?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's flea "dirt", it will turn red in water. (flea dirt is dried blood). I've had one cat turn 5 gallons of bath water deep burgundy.