Flea Dirt But No Fleas!

LoneDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has flea dirt in her fur but she hasn't had fleas in like 2 years.
None of the other animals have fleas or flea dirt.
None of my animals are allowed outside.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that fleas came in the home with a person or, if you have adjoining walls, through ventilation or a neighbors home. Usually, if you see flea dust there are fleas. I'd do a flea treatment and clean the home just to be on the safe side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoneDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been like this for a while. I though she was just dirty since there were no fleas. It only really puzzles me because it's been so long and none of the other animals have been affected.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you take the suspected flea dirt/dust, put it in water it should dissolve and leave a reddish color. That's the easiest way to confirm. If it is, even if you haven't seen them you have a flea problem. I know my vet once found flea dust on my cat when I took him in for what turned out to be a flea allergy. She couldn't find a single flea though any where on him and she looked really hard. He doesn't scratch or itch either that we ever saw, it was just a balding spot near his tail. Sometimes those fleas are sneaky little buggers.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are as kieka said, sneaky little buggers! my guys are all indoor cats too, but starting about now, until cold weather in November or so, i use advantage multi on mine. Takes care of any random fleas, mites, or anything like that. I feed some outside animals, and stray cats do wander across my yard, so im always Leary of what i may drag in. I would much rather prevent a flea infestation that try to clear one up, that's HARD work!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing with my cat, I could see the flea dirt, but not the fleas. They are really hard to see. After I put the Frontline on the back of his neck, the flea dirt disappeared.