Flea Control for Semi-Feral

Slyder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My local cat will let me pet him, but not pick him up or put a collar on him. Lately he started scratching even more than usual. Where he could lick, his black hair turned a brownish color. I got some of the drops you put on the back of their neck, at great personal expense. Seems to be helping, but he still scratches. Today I put some warm water on an old T-shirt and was surprised that he let me wash him a bit. Thinking that maybe I'll get some flea shampoo, put it in warm water on a cloth, and have another cloth with just water, so a little wash and rinse. Any advice on this situation?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have seasonal allergies instead of fleas. Does he roll over on his back at all for you? Look at his abdomen where his legs join, the hair is much thinner there and if he has fleas you should see them. The topical you applied to his neck should do the trick, I'm worried the flea shampoo may poison him if it is not rinsed off well enough. It would be extra strong if applied with a washcloth. There are natural products that get rid of fleas such as diluted apple cider vinegar and a waterless flea treatment that can be applied without rinsing on Chewy for 7.99. You might try that first. Google natural flea treatments for cats. Please come back if you find a treatment that works, and bless you for your caring heart.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that the washcloth will be hard to manage and since there is some hesitation on the cat's part could get out of control.It can be harder to wash out pet shampoos than would seem necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Slyder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I will not use the flea shampoo.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you clarify what kind of drops you put on your cat? Was it a topical flea treatment or some kind of anti-itch medication? I'm able to get Revolution on my ferals--at least the majority of them. I could never afford to use it paying US prices so I order it from Australia. My vet has actually looked at the Australian product and declared it authentic. There are several black female feral cats in my colony who have flea allergies. As di & bob suggested, check out your cats' underbellies. One of the symptoms of flea allergy is spotty and thinning fur.

Thanks for taking care of him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Slyder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advantage II is the stuff. Flea treatment. $46 for two months.
Cat won't let me get much of a look at his underbelly, but he's doing a lot better, I can tell.

SheriGoddart24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm afraid it won't work because the shampoo should be on the cat's fur for a while. Only vaccination will help.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you clarify what kind of drops you put on your cat? Was it a topical flea treatment or some kind of anti-itch medication? I'm able to get Revolution on my ferals--at least the majority of them. I could never afford to use it paying US prices so I order it from Australia. My vet has actually looked at the Australian product and declared it authentic. There are several black female feral cats in my colony who have flea allergies. As di & bob suggested, check out your cats' underbellies. One of the symptoms of flea allergy is spotty and thinning fur.

Thanks for taking care of him!

[/URL]
oo! I’m thinking of ordering from a Canadian website. The price seems comparable to Australia, but I’m guessing it’ll come faster since Canada is closer...

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canada is a great option! If I'm not mistaken, though, you'll need a prescription from your vet to order from Canada.