flea and Tick prevention

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, any recommendations for flea and tick prevention for my outside Kittens, they will be 10 months old on the 14th of this month. Thank You in advance.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, any recommendations for flea and tick prevention for my outside Kittens, they will be 10 months old on the 14th of this month. Thank You in advance.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had very good luck with Revolution Plus on my in/outdoor Maxine. It works for fleas, ticks, ear mites, heart worms, etc. Max spends about 80% of her time outdoors and I've never seen a flea or tick since I started using it. It comes packaged for different age groups. It is, however, expensive.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Revolution Plus scares me. The ingredient used in Plus, isthe same type used in Nexgard, and there are hundreds of posts on a Facebook group, about dogs that suffered seizures, some with fatal results, from Nexgard. Action Against Nexgard USA

I asked my vet if they sell regular Revolution instead of Plus, and they do, so that is what I will buy.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure of the tick prevalence in Georgia, but in the Midwest there has been an increase of cases in the fatal tick borne disease, cytauxzoon felis (bob cat fever). While I understand the fear of using a class of medication that has been reported to cause seizures, I would also make sure my cats have tick coverage if I were to have outdoor cats. Unfortunately, medications for tick prevention for cats is very limited.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Revolution and Revolution Plus both require a prescription because the active ingredients enter the bloodstream, unlike many other treatments. Selamectin is in both, and Sarolaner (the newer isooxazoline class that has warnings about seizures) is an additional ingredient in the Plus version. In all actuality, both ingredients contain warnings about possible seizures. I don't think many people realize this.

Frontline Plus works for fleas and ticks (but not mites, roundworm/hookworm, or prevention of heartworm like Revolution/Plus). It contains Fipronil & Methoprene (IGR), does not enter the bloodstream but is activated through the sebaceous glands/skin, and does not require a prescription. There are some generic brands that contain the same active ingredients and may be cheaper.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big fan of Revolution and Revolution Plus. Any pet can have a reaction to anything, that is why you monitor closely. A dog having a bad reaction to an ingredient in Nexgard, has nothing to do with a cat reacting to an ingredient in Revolution. Different species, different circumstances... We don't know how these people who reported side effects handled the product, if they used it properly, or if they bought it from a reputable source. Use every medication carefully and properly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Big fan of Revolution and Revolution Plus...We don't know how these people who reported side effects handled the product, if they used it properly, or if they bought it from a reputable source.
The warnings about seizures in cats - at least for the isoxazoline class - is from the FDA:
"The FDA monitors adverse drug event reports received from the public or veterinarians, other publicly available information (such a peer-reviewed scientific articles), and mandatory reports from the animal drug sponsor (the company that owns the right to market the drug). Drug sponsors must report serious, unexpected adverse events within 15 days of the event. In addition, they must submit any events that are non-serious, plus any laboratory studies, in vitro studies, and clinical trials that have not been previously submitted to the agency, on a bi-annual basis for the first two years following product approval and annually thereafter."

While I am not suggesting that every reported adverse drug event is infallible, it is pretty apparent there are legitimate cases of an issue with this class of drugs.

Having said that, my vet is an advocate of Bravecto, which also contains one of the drugs in the isoxazoline class, and feels the reported - albeit verified cases - aren't of the magnitude for concern in general.

To each his/her own - but cat lovers need to study up on any med they give their cats before choosing to use any particular one.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure of the tick prevalence in Georgia, but in the Midwest there has been an increase of cases in the fatal tick borne disease, cytauxzoon felis (bob cat fever). While I understand the fear of using a class of medication that has been reported to cause seizures, I would also make sure my cats have tick coverage if I were to have outdoor cats. Unfortunately, medications for tick prevention for cats is very limited.
This^
Been through a case of cytauxzoon felis and I don't recommend it.