flea allergy and fur loss - Help!

ezwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old spayed female, Shuggie, has been suffering from mild, patchy fur loss, with small but noticeable sores, for the past year/18 months or so.

When I first took her to the vet for it, they said it was due to a flea allergy, they gave her a shot and put her on regular flea medication (Revolution).

It got much better for a time, but a couple of patches never fully grew back in, and eventually the fur loss started back up again.

I took her back, and that time they gave me some liquid I had to give her with a dropper every day until the bottle was empty. I think it was about 10 days worth.

Again, it got better for a time, now it's coming back again.

I've been very good with the Revolution, but I think maybe it's not working on her, and that's the problem? It's supposed to kill all the fleas on her immediately upon application, but I've noticed that she's usually back to scratching a couple of hours after I put it on her. I don't see any fleas on her, but I'm not the best at spotting fleas on a cat, so it doesn't mean they're not there.

Is it time to switch vets? Or is this just a normal, standard problem that affects certain cats, and we're always going to be fighting with this?

One of my other cats (Shuggie's son Francesco) developed a flea allergy a few years back, and my then-vet (they moved pretty far away, so I don't use them anymore) put him on Bravecto, which was supposedly stronger than Revolution, and it did the trick. All his fur grew back, and he's never had a problem again, even after I eventually took him off the Bravecto.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Another thought, have you tried a food change? Is she eating canned food?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely think you'd notice if there were fleas, especially if you actively look for them on her. But cats can absolutely be allergic to other things, environmental things, or most definitely food, even foods they have been eating for years. Worth checking into.