Flamepoint coloring

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm curious what color traits create the flamepoint color pattern on a cat. I have a pregnant flame point siamese looking girl and am trying to guess what her babies could look like without having any idea what the dad looked like. 🤷‍♀️:)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the dad is pointed (by some magic coincidence), all the kittens will be pointed. If he is not pointed but carries the point gene, about half will be pointed. If he doesn't carry the point gene, none will be pointed (but about half will carry it, if they were to reproduce in the future).

All the males will be red/red pointed like the mom. The girls will be red or tortie/pointed, depending what color the dad gave them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the dad is pointed (by some magic coincidence), all the kittens will be pointed. If he is not pointed but carries the point gene, about half will be pointed. If he doesn't carry the point gene, none will be pointed (but about half will carry it, if they were to reproduce in the future).

All the males will be red/red pointed like the mom. The girls will be red or tortie/pointed, depending what color the dad gave them.
Thank you!! Apparently the dad cat sired two other litters the rescue took in at the same time as my girl (she's a foster - got her yesterday) and they were absolutely gorgeous babies. Colored + white and I think a couple tabbies with white. The mom's were super pretty too. Not flame point though. Very colorful with a lot of white. I wish I thought to take pictures of them but this is all I have.

My girl looks like she is very close to popping so we will find out soon! I'm always really enthralled by cat color genetics

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do see a true spotted tabby cat in the fray, its the momma? Peculiar enough, the kittens doesnt seem to be spotted in the same way, even if one is somewhat spotted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The momma seems to be a torbie; spotted tabby + red and white... So she carriers essentially all the colors and patterns the kittens has.
A couple of the kittens of the first photo, seems to be tabby and white. I dont see clearly the tabby pattern. But spotted tabby is dominant, and dominates over for over classic tabby, and possibly even mackerel tabby. So this momma could carry two different tabby patterns, but herself become exterially a spotted tabby, as its the most dominant here.

Much rant. The summary here is, I dont get any sure clue about the daddy, even if he could be the other tabby pattern non spotted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do see a true spotted tabby cat in the fray, its the momma?
Yes it is. The two adult cats in the picture are the other two moms and the babies are all of theirs with the sire (supposedly) the same as the one who's babies my foster girl is carrying. I've attached a picture of my girl here as well.

I dont get any sure clue about the daddy, even if he could be the other tabby pattern non spotted.
Thanks for sharing the info you do have! I have always found it intriguing the difference between the moms and the babies and been reading some about cat coat coloring. I am thoroughly confused about 25% of the time still but am absolutely fascinated by it! And this girl is a totally new "schema" for me! 😊

Attachments

Callicokittens12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am very curious, I have a 4 month old male flame point kitten and a 3 in a half old orange tabby female and I was curious since the boy carries point traits if I would end up with tiny flame point or any other pointed kittens if I breed them together?

Callicokittens12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very curious, I have a 4 month old male flame point kitten and a 3 in a half old orange tabby female and I was curious since the boy carries point traits if I would end up with tiny flame point or any other pointed kittens if I breed them together?
I meant a 3 in a half week old orange tabby kitten

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only if she carries the point gene. If she does, about half the kittens would be flame point (possibly cream point if they both carry dilute). If she doesn't carry the point gene they'd all be orange (or cream) tabbies.

Generally speaking, it's best to spay/neuter pet cats and leave breeding to the dedicated hobbyists :). Most people don't like to have intact cats as pets.

Callicokittens12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how do you know if the mom carries a point trait? can you test it? I've had a litter before from my tiny tortico cat which is where I got the flame point from.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you know if the mom carries a point trait? can you test it? I've had a litter before from my tiny tortico cat which is where I got the flame point from.

Please just fix your cats, if you enjoy having kittens around rescues are always looking for fosters, especially for preggers or nursing moms :)