Flame point Siamese

FearLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have what I believe is a flame point Siamese. He is 6 months old and I’m just wondering if his coloring will darken as he gets closer to a year or will he lose the coloring altogether because it’s so light already. I don’t mind if he just becomes a pure white.

Attachments

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In general, a siamese's color points will darken as the kitten approaches a year old. Born white, the coloration or points has to with an enzyme that doesn't function when warm, thus the cooler parts of their body get color. I have a 16 year old full-blooded seal point siamese that is nearly all brown now because she's fat, so her skin temperature is always cool. I also have a five month old flame point cross that is darker now than he was at four months.
20221217_163451.jpg

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Siamese is a breed so unless he came from a breeder with papers, he's not one. All colorpoint cats will darken with age, how fast depends on temps and genetics. He definitely won't get lighter or lose color.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Siamese is a breed so unless he came from a breeder with papers, he's not one. All colorpoint cats will darken with age, how fast depends on temps and genetics. He definitely won't get lighter or lose color.
Not necessarily true. Our 16 year old cat came from a shelter 14 years ago. Did a Basepaws DNA test awhile back, just for fun. She is 100% Thai Siamese. We could split hairs and say that the Thai and the siamese are separate breeds (and the test doesn't differentiate between the two) but for all intents and purposes, she's siamese. Our kitten, from the same shelter, is only part siamese. We'll probably do a DNA test on him at some point, if only to get some clues about his extra long back legs and bobtail. Both cats have the same personalities and traits I adored in the show quality (papered) siamese cats I had decades ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FearLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily true. Our 16 year old cat came from a shelter 14 years ago. Did a Basepaws DNA test awhile back, just for fun. She is 100% Thai Siamese. We could split hairs and say that the Thai and the siamese are separate breeds (and the test doesn't differentiate between the two) but for all intents and purposes, she's siamese. Our kitten, from the same shelter, is only part siamese. We'll probably do a DNA test on him at some point, if only to get some clues about his extra long back legs and bobtail. Both cats have the same personalities and traits I adored in the show quality (papered) siamese cats I had decades ago.
Id love to do a dna test on my bobtail one day. The shelter’s intake said he was part bengal. Its really hard to get a picture of his bobtail but this is him

Attachments

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Points will definetly get darker, in my experience flame and creme points might take a bit longer time to develop. To me he doesn't look like siamese (or Thai), but anyways he's gorgeous! Such a lovely blue eyes kitty. 🥰

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have what I believe is a flame point Siamese. He is 6 months old and I’m just wondering if his coloring will darken as he gets closer to a year or will he lose the coloring altogether because it’s so light already. I don’t mind if he just becomes a pure white.
aw he is a beauty 😻 He looks like a dsh red or flame lynx point/ colorpoint to me, all the color points have siamese ancestry even if it is distant and they are not pb. He does look to me to have some of those meezer qualities in his face and body of the old style. He will get darker but the flame points are among the lighter colors of the pointed cats maybe even lighter than lilac point. In the original siamese cats, and still in some cat associations and breeders they only accept the four original point colors which are seal point, blue point(dilute of seal), chocolate point and lilac point( the dilute of chocolate).

The lynx point which is what your cat really is is not accepted also and that is why they are called color points. It comes in a few colors, seal lynx, flame point, tortie point and some others, I think those are the main ones. My Quinn who is a seal point pb traditional siamese is getting darker now due to it being so cold and we are heating less and he is older, but his front of his body stayed pretty light for a few years. I wonder if in a warmer climate he would lighten up a bit, I have heard of that happening.

Here is an article on flame point siamese cats 😁

The Flame Point Siamese Cat

Last edited:

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would bet the coloring will definitely darken as he ages. I know it did on my Casper. He is the flame point in my avatar. He had the most beautiful blue eyes, and the most talkative, stubborn, naughty nature!
Talkative, stubborn and naughty - describes the siamese in a nutshell. Also, loving, loyal and curious.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! Their fur feels different too and they have a different smell to their fur. I remember we tried making Casper an indoor cat. 6 months later he was still swiping everything left on the counters to the floor and yelling his displeasure to the world. I loved seeing him race across the lawn and leaping like a spring calf. He also was a mighty hunter, bringing home rabbits and mice every day.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! Their fur feels different too and they have a different smell to their fur. I remember we tried making Casper an indoor cat. 6 months later he was still swiping everything left on the counters to the floor and yelling his displeasure to the world. I loved seeing him race across the lawn and leaping like a spring calf. He also was a mighty hunter, bringing home rabbits and mice every day.
Our 7 year old former feral Braveheart, whose mother had some siamese looks, is our mouser. Brave is also a bird killer, which is why he became a house cat. He screamed his displeasure for months, always at night. Waking up in the middle of the night to caterwauling, I would always have to get up and see whether it was Brave or KiKi the siamese, since they both have the siamese voice. Braveheart slipped out of the house last year and disappeared for seven months. Brave came home with a new appreciation for indoor living and is now the perfect house cat.

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooh how their fur smell different? I'm being curious as my Little Kitty (dsh, not any breeds in her) smells worderful to me. I can't stop smelling her cheeks, the smell is addictive like newborns head smell or something 😂

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie’s (lynx point) face darkened the first 6 months. Then from 12-24 months his back darkened a lot. It is no longer white but light grayish brown. Your flame points coloring will be lighter but expect the back to turn darker.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say that your guy has some white on his nose so he’s probably really flame lynx point with white spotting which means he may be even lighter than the usual flame lynx point.

Here are all the colors listed for lynx points at this site linked below. Tortie is really a different pattern but it’s listed along with them anyway. You can have a dilute version of each color so, you can have seal lynx point or blue lynx point etc. or seal tortie point or blue tortie point probably.

“Lynx Point Siamese come in several colors, including blue, blue-cream, chocolate, chocolate tortie, cream, lilac, lilac-cream, red, seal, and seal-tortie. “

The lynx color points were bred with Siamese cats and tabby cats.

Meet the Lynx Point Siamese

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basepaws itself admits they are not a breed test, might want to read the fine print on their website, they are linking cats dna to most similar breed. It's why people now think their random bred cat is part Maine Coon, Persian and a half dozen other breeds. That does not mean your cat is a purebred Siamese in any way. Breed tests for cats are a scam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FearLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say that your guy has some white on his nose so he’s probably really flame lynx point with white spotting which means he may be even lighter than the usual flame lynx point.

Here are all the colors listed for lynx points at this site linked below. Tortie is really a different pattern but it’s listed along with them anyway. You can have a dilute version of each color so, you can have seal lynx point or blue lynx point etc. or seal tortie point or blue tortie point probably.

“Lynx Point Siamese come in several colors, including blue, blue-cream, chocolate, chocolate tortie, cream, lilac, lilac-cream, red, seal, and seal-tortie. “

The lynx color points were bred with Siamese cats and tabby cats.

Meet the Lynx Point Siamese
Thank you, this is helpful! My other cat is I think is dilute tortie
D5E2169A-70E0-4893-9B58-8FDC411D287B.jpeg