Flame point DLH! Any resemblances to actual breeds?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all! 

And here is him with my friend holding him.

And here is him sleeping just now.

Anyways, I definitely think he is going to be long haired judging from his ear tufts. His nose/snout (?) did seem shorter than the other kittens I saw but honestly I don't know too much about kitten development so I can't judge. I'm curious to hear any reasons why the rescues may have labeled him as a Persian mix besides the fact that he is long haired. 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!! He's soooooo adorable!! Congratulations!

I do know that most rescues just tend to generalize the "looks" of a kitten. So perhaps, as you say, it was just because he was long haired and so Persian mix was easiest.
He definitely does not have a Persian face, THAT much I do know, and I'm no breed expert, but have seen enough Persian kittens!
He is beautiful though, and lucky him that you found him.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I don't think he has much Persian OR Siamese in him.       I think you are right,  he's an ( adorable) long hair moggy and there is really no knowing what his ancestry might be.   If he has any recent ancestors of a specific breed,   Ragdoll might be more likely

It's in the 2nd photo that he looks most Persian since the eyes look rounder ,  and in that one you can't see so much that his muzzle is very un-Persian.   Actually the eye shape, set, color and expression in that photo is  rather reminiscent of Himalayan Persians.        I suspect that he may have looked more like that when he was younger.   the long hair, pointed pattern,  big round eyes,   and before the muzzle started developing more.   So it might be he got labeled Persian mix as a younger baby.

Oh well,  there's no knowing what they thought.  It was probably just a wild guess by someone who doesn't know much about breeds and is just doing their best to try to get the cat adopted, and  thinking if they can call the cat some breed it might increase the chance. 

They can say "Siamese mix" for all the pointed cats and be technically right even if in most of them the Siamese part is probably under 0.000001%   LOL .       they are a "Siamese mix"  in the same sense that a Himalayan is a "Siamese mix" ,  in that they had a few Siamese ancestors 70 years ago. 

I think a lot of the spread of the pointed gene into the general cat population in places like Europe and North America probably happened in the mid 20th century when Siamese were at their most popular,  and fewer people back then got pets altered ,  and never before about 6 months old ,  and more people let them roam around and mate with the cat down the street.      

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love pointed cats and he is so gorgeous! You are very lucky to get a flame point through a rescue as they can be pretty rare and the breeders I know always charge a lot more for them. Our birman breeder also said flame points have the best personalities apparently.

Agree with maewkaew that he looks much more like a ragdoll than a persian. Here is an example of a flame point ragdoll from goggle images:

He also could be considered a birman look-a-like without the white gloves. Here is an example of a birman flame point from google images :

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I was looking through photos of Ragdolls last night actually and I can see some similarities with the kitten!

I've been wanting to adopt a pointed cat for a while. It was only two days ago I noticed that there were 6! pointed cats/kittens available through the rescue. One was seal, another was lynx, a tortie, a blue mink, and two flames. I ended up taking the longhaired flame point kitten although I really liked the adult flame point shorthair too! 

The kitten has an amazing personality. Although he is active, he doesn't provoke Lox (3 year old DSH tortie and white) at all. 

Can't wait to see him grown up!

EDIT: I can't tell if he has mitted feet or not... I know that red/cream points take the longest to show up... I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Here's a better face shot of him if anyone was interested in seeing. Looks like his front paws are definitely not mitted. His back legs are hard to tell. I also noticed his expression is similar to the Birman photo Franksmom posted.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so funny with each picture he looks like a different breed to me. This last one I can see a bit of an oriental look to him. One thing is his eyes are a lot lighter than most birmans, well at least in the last photo so I think that makes him a bit more of a ragdoll look-a-like. But yes he does have a similar expression to the Birman from the picture. It will be interesting to see how he develops and which breed he looks like as he gets older. I am guessing he is a moggie with Siamese ancestry but that is probably what both Birmans and Ragdolls are also as they appear to be both "created" breeds who can ultimately be traced back to the Siamese cats mixed with persians and maybe DLHs. If any breeders are reading: I am a big advocate of both Birmans and Ragdolls -they are amazing cats as they have been bred to be extremely docile and fairly healthy- but I do think their origin stories are pretty crazy.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Wow,  I'm not seeing Oriental!    Head shape looks similar to that photo posted earlier of the red point Ragdoll .  maybe a little narrower in the muzzle.   but like you said, Franksmom,    it will be interesting to see how he changes as he gets older.  

One can't tell a LOT by eye color especially in a mix.   Any cats can be bred for deeper eye color.   In some lines it tends to be deeper than others.    There are many Ragdolls that do have quite deep blue eyes.

and in random-bred blue eyed cats it tends to be paler since it's not being selected for,  but occasionally one can turn up with a deeper blue.   Since this kitten is almost certainly a moggy,   even if he had some Birman ancestors,   or ancestors who were Ragdolls with good eye color,   he wouldn't be likely to inherit that.    it is not an easy thing to pass on.    An early Siamese breeder said she had found that deep blue eye color was the hardest trait to set. 

Himalayans tend to have paler blue eyes because  of the copper eyes of the Persians .  that makes the blue lighter .   

That is a VERY cute photo and yes he does have an expression like the Birman in the photo above.  

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see too much Oriental myself. All I see is a cute moggy :)

My partner keeps calling him a she since he is a "girly" coat color... Whatever that means. 

Although I love his kitten adorableness (almost gremlin-like?) I really can't wait to see him full-grown. Wonder how much he'll weigh? I know longhairs tend to be bigger, and he's a male too... Maybe 15 pounds?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!! He's soooooo adorable!! Congratulations!

I do know that most rescues just tend to generalize the "looks" of a kitten. So perhaps, as you say, it was just because he was long haired and so Persian mix was easiest.
He definitely does not have a Persian face, THAT much I do know, and I'm no breed expert, but have seen enough Persian kittens!
He is beautiful though, and lucky him that you found him.
Can't help on breed of cat but he is definitely one very cute ball of fur.  Lucky you!  Enjoy. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Here's a better face shot of him if anyone was interested in seeing. Looks like his front paws are definitely not mitted. His back legs are hard to tell. I also noticed his expression is similar to the Birman photo Franksmom posted.
:thud: You forgot the cuteness warning!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks guys. I consider him pretty unique as all cats are. He's been sick with an URI and was tested positive for coccidia... Please send some good vibes towards him. 

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My heart just melted   
 . Your little boy is an adorable bundle of fluff.  Lots and lots of 

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I wanted to redirect you to my new Bagel/Lox thread since I've been posting photos there: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264090/the-lox-and-bagel-thread

I wonder, does he still look like a Birman look-a-like? I get that a lot from other communities but when I saw some actual cattery kitten videos it seems like he his coat is not as dense.