Flakes might have cancer - I'm scared and I'm angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there's another option for the Buprenorphine.........having it compounded into a transdermal gel....which you would apply to just inside one of his ears (and, if I remember, alternating ears).

For the NSAID, even though he's fine with pills, I still wouldn't choose the one I mentioned ("Onsior")....because, being a tablet, it's a fixed dose rather than a dose that you can adjust as needed. NSAIDS are really problematic with cats, and dosing must be done with great care. Because meloxicam is liquid, it's possible to adjust to the precise dose - if he can be given 1-2 teaspoonfuls of a wet food without difficulty, it could easily be mixed in. I don't know if meloxicam 'works' transdermaly, nor if Onsior does either.

I'll just give you a caution about Tramadol - it makes some cats quite qwaaazy !
Tramadol (Cat)​
In cats and people, this medication is split in the body into two active metabolites: a narcotic pain reliever and an anxiety relief medication. It should have good pain-relieving properties but can create sedation or mental alteration. It may be difficult to reduce the dose with accuracy as feline doses are typically quarter tablets and it is hard to cut pills smaller than this. Furthermore, tramadol is famous for tasting terrible, which creates additional difficulty in giving it to cats.​
...of course, you could give it a trial run and see how he manages it.

One further point.....whether or not you initially start with tablets or liquids, remember that there might come a time when pilling would not be easy or even possible. To keep all options open, it would be helpful to know from the outset which, of all the potential drugs, are available as transdermal preparations.

I'm really touched by the walk and meeting your mom :redheartpump:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine can be compounded into a transdermal gel that is applied in the inside of the ear. Much easier than this "cheek pocket" business when your cat's had about enough of medicines.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My GSD takes daily tramadol and his vet always reminds me that it is as much a sedative as a pain reliever. In the dog, it has an amazingly sedative effect, which is frankly what I want right now. Within that context, it might be causing mental alteration, not that I would identify as dementia or aggression, but some behaviors which were not seen before which are harmless enough, but different. I have never used it in a cat. If you do go with it, you might watch out for those symptoms which white shadow white shadow mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the recommendations! Transdermal gel definitely sounds like a great option for him!

We had a great time on his walk, he perked up a lot and went exploring all over the place. We ended up a block away haha. We live in a small "subdivision" of duplex apartments and there's a big grassy field next to one building and he just plopped down ove there and rolled around in the grass for a good 20 minutes haha. He was exploring all over the place and being brave even when someone brought their dogs out to potty.

PXL_20200922_212016492.jpg

PXL_20200922_211924081.jpg

My husband's brother came by to visit as well and Flakes really enjoyed seeing some of his favorite people. He was loving all over him and my mom.

He also got to chase a grasshopper! I haven't seen him this active in awhile. We're definitely going to take him for more walks especially now that it's not as hot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let you all know that Flakes crossed the rainbow bridge this morning. We gave him the best last day that we could. We took a walk in the rain (he LOVED it), fed him lots of tuna treats, and played with bubbles in the garage (the only room in the house he had never been allowed in). Then we went to see Dr. J one last time. No more pain for my sweet baby boy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that your beautiful boy is gone. May you take comfort in the memories of the wonderful life that you gave him. The love that you shared was completely clear in the last pictures you posted. You honored his passing and he is at peace.

You fought the good fight against what were going to be insurmountable odds and let him go before he lost his joy in life and began to suffer. It is the hardest and bravest thing that you could do for him.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect.

When you feel up to it, please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge section of the forum.

Rest in peace, Flakes. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.