Fixed male colony cat

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I have learned a lot over the last 3 years about my colony. They get regular food and fresh water and are wormed regularly. Today at my lunch break I noticed one of the large male cats is moving around slowly and is meowing. Just a quiet meow over and over while he saw I was in the vicinity. Am I reading too much into this? He showed up this morning to eat and seemed fine. I don't want to over react but it seems out of character for him. These cats are well fed and would never "fall" for being trapped again. Not sure how to proceed or what to look for. I am hoping its just boredom in the winter months. Or the fact that when he sees me he gets vocal as they all do in the morning when I show up to feed. Any advice would be welcomed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking care of a feral colony.

Were there any other things that were different? Was it a "distressed" meowing? It could be something in his paw, or he hurt his leg a little. Something like that. It could be a predator or a bad encounter with another cat. It could be that a feral friend was trapped or something else. :( It really could be a wide range of things.

One thing I do in these situations is observe/monitor. Look at every detail. How he walks, has his tail, eats, drinks, sits, interacts with other cats, avoiding any areas, etc. Every little detail. Any changes.

The fact he is moving more slowly and meowing is something I am a little concerned about. But it is difficult to know so just keep an eye on him.

It is just very hard to know. I would be more worried if he stays like this and stops eating, drinking, etc.

Let us know how he does. You may have to use a drop trap to get him in to a vet.

Hang in there, hopefully it is nothing. Being a feral is a hard like regardless of how much we try to give them the best life we can. So we never know what happens. All we can do is our best and you sure sound like you are taking great care of him and you care which is the most important thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You know him better than any of us can possibly know at this point. I echo C calicosrspecial 's advice. I would watch him and see if additional odd behaviors begin to show up. Also, get as close as you can to him to see if you can notice any wounds or injuries on his body - that would tell you a lot. And, while you are doing that, consider how you might be able to trap him if needed.

Meowing like he does for feedings - at times that are not regular meals - could mean he is not getting his fair share (another cat eating his food) and/or some type of illness that is making him hungrier than usual. Look closely for signs of weight loss too. He could be sick, there could be another cat coming into the area that is disrupting him, or who knows what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. It was uncharacteristic of him that's why I was concerned. They do make an appearance at work more during the day during the winter months looking for more food. I am noticing a few of my ferals are dealing with what I am guessing urinary tract infections this time of year. He did show up to eat this morning as usual but was licking his private parts for a bit while I was preparing the morning meal. Usually he is dancing around LOL He actually allowed me to scratch his head and pet him while he first started to eat. I noticed in the past that when one is injured or hurt they will trust me and allow me to touch them which has allowed me to take them in for good after and injury. I have three at home now and room for more as I see they need to come in. I touch them as much as I can when they allow me todo so to build that trust. I wish I could take him into my vet like I do with the friendly ones for a check up. I am afraid all I can do for the scared untouchables ferals is try to diagnose the issue the best that I can and try to treat with antibiotics for two weeks. I have some amoxicillin at home. I have read that it can be used on cats with careful administration for various bacterial issues. I did check for wounds but did not see or feel any. He was really giving me the EYE while I was feeling him over so I did not want to push my luck. I intend to and do take the best care of the 6 outside left that are pretty feral. But I am afraid I can only do so much for the scared ones. I will keep a close eye on him. I will start him on amoxicillin tomorrow morning just incase its bacterial. And I will watch for possible reactions. I will do the best that I can under the situation. Any suggestions on how much I should administer? And thank you so much for the support and help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know where you got the amoxicillin from, but you could call your vet and ask about the correct dosage based on your guesstimate of his weight. And, find out how long to administer it (7 days, 10 days, etc.) in order for it to be most effective.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will second Feebysowner. Check with your vet before giving any medications.

"He did show up to eat this morning as usual" - GREAT. Did he eat normally?

" but was licking his private parts for a bit while I was preparing the morning meal." - I would see if this continues, it could just be a one off thing.

"He actually allowed me to scratch his head and pet him while he first started to eat. I noticed in the past that when one is injured or hurt they will trust me and allow me to touch them which has allowed me to take them in for good after and injury." - Sometimes cats will surprise us by their willingness to accept "love". Doesn't always mean they are ill or injured. I would look to other behavior clues to confirm illness or injury.

"I have three at home now and room for more as I see they need to come in." - You are AWESOME!! Thanks for caring for them!!

"I wish I could take him into my vet like I do with the friendly ones for a check up." - You may be able to. I would try a few times.

"He was really giving me the EYE while I was feeling him over so I did not want to push my luck." - Yes, please be careful. It sounds like you can read the body language well. Just be calm and confident but also reasonable. Best not to push your luck as a bite is not good.

"I intend to and do take the best care of the 6 outside left that are pretty feral. But I am afraid I can only do so much for the scared ones.: - All we can do is our best. Even if we do get a feral in to the vet some medicines are impossible to administer. All we can do is our best. I know it is hard emotionally. :(

Please make sure you speak with the vet and tell the vet about the amoxicillin you have as it may no longer be good etc (if the vet does tell you it is ok to give it to him).

He seems like a fairly tame cat so I am wondering if you might be able to get him in to the vet. I would monitor him and see in the next day or 2 if he deteriorates. At this point I would not panic. It is hard to find the right answer but trying to trap or coerce into a crate or trap can cause issues, leaving untreated can cause issues, treating with the wrong thing can cause issues. Etc. It is hard stuff. Make sure he has ample food and clean water and monitor and if he gets worse I would try to trap him and get him in (but I know how hard it can be).

Please keep us updated. Thank you so much for caring and for doing all you are doing for all of them!!!

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will second Feebysowner. Check with your vet before giving any medications.

"He did show up to eat this morning as usual" - GREAT. Did he eat normally?

" but was licking his private parts for a bit while I was preparing the morning meal." - I would see if this continues, it could just be a one off thing.

"He actually allowed me to scratch his head and pet him while he first started to eat. I noticed in the past that when one is injured or hurt they will trust me and allow me to touch them which has allowed me to take them in for good after and injury." - Sometimes cats will surprise us by their willingness to accept "love". Doesn't always mean they are ill or injured. I would look to other behavior clues to confirm illness or injury.

"I have three at home now and room for more as I see they need to come in." - You are AWESOME!! Thanks for caring for them!!

"I wish I could take him into my vet like I do with the friendly ones for a check up." - You may be able to. I would try a few times.

"He was really giving me the EYE while I was feeling him over so I did not want to push my luck." - Yes, please be careful. It sounds like you can read the body language well. Just be calm and confident but also reasonable. Best not to push your luck as a bite is not good.

"I intend to and do take the best care of the 6 outside left that are pretty feral. But I am afraid I can only do so much for the scared ones.: - All we can do is our best. Even if we do get a feral in to the vet some medicines are impossible to administer. All we can do is our best. I know it is hard emotionally. :(

Please make sure you speak with the vet and tell the vet about the amoxicillin you have as it may no longer be good etc (if the vet does tell you it is ok to give it to him).

He seems like a fairly tame cat so I am wondering if you might be able to get him in to the vet. I would monitor him and see in the next day or 2 if he deteriorates. At this point I would not panic. It is hard to find the right answer but trying to trap or coerce into a crate or trap can cause issues, leaving untreated can cause issues, treating with the wrong thing can cause issues. Etc. It is hard stuff. Make sure he has ample food and clean water and monitor and if he gets worse I would try to trap him and get him in (but I know how hard it can be).

Please keep us updated. Thank you so much for caring and for doing all you are doing for all of them!!!
I sure will call my vet and ask the dosage of what I have. I will also keep you updated. Thanks so much for the help and kind words of encouragement.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far so good. I did talk to the vet before I administered. We got the proper dosage and she said he could have a UTI and the meds couldn't hurt. 5 days now. He seems to be much better already but I will go a full 12 days. Thanks for the kind words. So far we are good. MEOW :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update AND the great news. Fingers crossed that he continues the path to health.

Thank you for taking such great care of him.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well over a week later and 12 days on antibiotics my male feral cat is back to his normal self. Thank you to all for lending an ear and for the great advice. :)