FIV+ stomatitis, stuffy nose

MamaMačka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I found elderly cat (about 15 years old) 2 months ago. He was just skin and bones, with green nasal discharge, sometimes even blood came out when sneezed and also fiv positive.
Long story short, he has stomatitis, went in for teeth extraction after a week ago (canines are still in) but today I noticed again he has trouble eating his food and I even blend his food in blender with some water so it's basically in liquid form. He must be in really bad pain since he gag when eating and there is blood in saliva after that (like he's choking on food). He also has enlarged lymph node under chin.
When this will get better, if at all? Also his nose is one day perfectly fine then second day there is blood and he's snoring when breathing. He was on doxy for almost 2 months without success and now he's on synulox for 10 days.
I also give him l-lysine, b complex, probiotic, vitamins, medicine mushrooms, colostrum.. But nothing helps much 😔
What else can I do? Otherwise he's very playful and all of the bloodwork was perfect (except inflammation parameters).

(sorry for my English)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So good of you to adopt a senior kitty. Sounds like he needs to be checked by the Veterinarian again or even a second opinion. There may be some prescription nebulizer treatments you could do, but you need a Veterinarian to come up with a plan for him.

Your English is better than mine and it’s my only language!

You are a wonderful person to be helping this kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaMačka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. So good of you to adopt a senior kitty. Sounds like he needs to be checked by the Veterinarian again or even a second opinion. There may be some prescription nebulizer treatments you could do, but you need a Veterinarian to come up with a plan for him.

Your English is better than mine and it’s my only language!

You are a wonderful person to be helping this kitty!
He already had prescribed treatment with nebuliser, but I only managed to give him treatment once instead of 3 times. He cried in box and bite the tube from nebuliser so he broke the tube and was so impatient so I had to stop the therapy. When he's in stress he would get idiopathic cystitis 😔
We have vet checkup in two weeks but vet already told me that since he has FIV it could never be better 😔 and that we could try steroids as last option. This vet is good dental vet and there is only one better here where I live but she can take me in only after January 😐 is it possible that stomatitis caused him nose problem?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would venture to guess it is the FIV that is causing his nose problems, it lowers their immune system so they catch any virus going around. I give my cats, who have leukemia, DMG which builds up their immune systems, and LifeGold which is a supplement for cancers. They have done well on them for over two years now. When they get upper respiratory problems I give them a product called Feline Nose Relief which seems to help. These are all available on sites such as Walmart, Amazon, and PetMeds. I wish you well, thank you for making his life one of love and comfort in his senior years, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaMačka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would venture to guess it is the FIV that is causing his nose problems, it lowers their immune system so they catch any virus going around. I give my cats, who have leukemia, DMG which builds up their immune systems, and LifeGold which is a supplement for cancers. They have done well on them for over two years now. When they get upper respiratory problems I give them a product called Feline Nose Relief which seems to help. These are all available on sites such as Walmart, Amazon, and PetMeds. I wish you well, thank you for making his life one of love and comfort in his senior years, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
I don't live in US (I'm from EU) so I can't buy those. But I have bought all of the stuff you can't get here that others recommended but with no luck for my cat. I think it's calicivirus that causes all of that and since he has FIV the symptoms are more severe and long lasting 😔