Fiv Positive Cat Help.

Wolf Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, my cat had been diagnosed as positive for FIV and I was wondering if there was any possible way I could spay her? She's in heat and going through a lot of stress, and I'm having a lot of trouble separating her from the males. Is there any type of way to get her spayed?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I too have a fiv+ kitty. He's a male and I know neuters are not as complicated as a spay but I did have him fixed with no issue. It did take him a bit longer to heal up though. If you could possibly get her spayed once she's not in heat, that way it won't be as stressful on her. Some vets won't spay a cat during heat due to it being a more difficult procedure. I think as long as she's kept in a clean dry place, like any other recovering kitty, she should do well.

Are your males neutered and have they been tested for fiv?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not only can she be spayed, she should be spayed, although you may have to wait until this cycle is over. Just let your vet know that she is FIV positive, and they will know very well how to handle things from there.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only can she be spayed, she should be spayed, although you may have to wait until this cycle is over. Just let your vet know that she is FIV positive, and they will know very well how to handle things from there.
Depends on the Vet. My vet advised me to have mine put down due to being positive on the fiv test. They didn't think he'd heal well and that he'd be a danger to other cats. Didn't happen and I still have my kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wolf Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, my males are not neutered but they were tested positive for FIV.

Unfortunately my vet didn't recommend to do the surgery and also suggested to put her down but from experience I knew that, that wasn't necessary. So I'll probably take her to a different vet to get spayed once the cycle is over, and make sure to feed her healthy. Thank you so much for the help!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my males are not neutered but they were tested positive for FIV.

Unfortunately my vet didn't recommend to do the surgery and also suggested to put her down but from experience I knew that, that wasn't necessary. So I'll probably take her to a different vet to get spayed once the cycle is over, and make sure to feed her healthy. Thank you so much for the help!
You're very welcome. I'm glad you've decided to give them a chance at life. The only thing I think keepers of fiv+ kitties have to keep extra aware of are any signs of illness, infection. As long as they are caught early and treated promptly, they should heal nicely. There are a few members around here that have had fiv+ kitties longer than I. Perhaps, they will chime in as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FIV kitties can live reasonably long, fairly healthy lives. I canNOT understand a vet advising to put one down, especially if the cat is NOT symptomatic. No one wants their cat to suffer, but you can have years before that becomes an issue! Yes, look for another vet.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats, Rocky, tested positive for FIV when we had him neutered. He had no problem healing after surgery. That was 8 years ago and he is still healthy. :D
Thank you for taking care of your little girl!

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have an FIV positive male. He was neutered. We were told that as long as he wasn't symptomatic at the time, neutering him was not an issue.

FIV can be dormant in cats for years, sometimes they never develop symptoms of the disease. Get her spayed and give her a chance at a long and happy life. If your vet tells you she should be put down - find another vet!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, please get her spayed and get the males neutered too.

She will get pregnant, no matter how sick she is, and any surviving kittens may also be FIV positive. As far as I know vets aren't clear on whether this virus is always passed on to kittens or not, but you don't want to risk it.

By allowing the males to remain intact you risk spreading FIV to any other cats in the area. Intact males will roam around and fight with other males and spread FIV by biting.

I have a cat that was infected with FIV when I found her. She was spayed as soon as she'd put on enough weight to cope with surgery. You can read more about her here.

Sick, possibly FIV+ Feral Kitten

If your vet isn't very cooperative maybe you could contact your local shelter or humane society and ask if they can recommend a vet?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have just written in a similar thread, my cat was FIV and we didn't know that. She had been FIV for all her life.
And she went through a series of surgeries along the years (mainly cysts removal) without keeping this aspect into consideration and, of course, taking the right precautions, and nothing happened. I can't understand you should worry about it :)

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she can be spayed. I adopted my boy nearly 2 years ago and the shelter I got him from confirmed that he was FIV positive and then he was neutered. He's had no health problems related to his diagnosis. My vet told me that there's no reason that an FIV+ cat can't live a long life. You just need to stay on top of their health and know when to take them to get checked out. You also have to know that they can take a bit longer to heal from things. Of course each case is different you just need to be in tune to your cats health and do what you can to avoid exposing them to things that can make them sick. Keeping them as strictly indoor cats was recommended by my vet

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your other posts concerning other cats you have that also have FeLV and positive kittens too, I highly highly suggest you spay and neuter all these animals. That is the ethical and responsible thing to do. If this is an outdoor colony or something you are helping I understand it isn't that easy to do. If you need low cost options let us know we can help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yes, I read your other threads and it sounds like you have a real problem to deal with! What's the whole situation? How many cats, indoor or outdoor, how many are spayed/neutered, how many have tested positive for FeLV and how many have tested positive for FIV, etc.? Maybe we can help with the whole thing.

But to answer the immediate question, she can be spayed. My mom has a cat that tested positive for FIV at the time she was spayed, she healed up just fine and she's still doing just fine 8 years later. FIV isn't as bad as FeLV.

The boys should be neutered too.

Last edited:

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on the Vet. My vet advised me to have mine put down due to being positive on the fiv test. They didn't think he'd heal well and that he'd be a danger to other cats. Didn't happen and I still have my kitty.
That's ridiculous. Why would they say that just because a cat has fiv? Would they like to be put down if they have an illness? Plus they can and do live perfectly happy healthy lives. The ignorance of some people is sickening. Omg.