FIV+ & FIV- Living Together?

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I currently have 8 FIV- cats and have rescued a FIV+ cat. We have waited six weeks and retested and she still registered positive. We now have to decide whether to integrate her with our other cats or find her another home. I am very torn over the decision and change my mind every hour. I was wondering if anyone has experience with FIV+ and FIV- cats living together that they would be willing to share. I just want to make the best decision for all the babies involved. Thank you!

My eight:
AC6243AA-0191-4B05-854B-1897EB54CD8B.jpeg

Olive, the new rescue:
F810E517-2D26-4656-9902-9ACB90ACCFBF.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did post about this 6 weeks ago, sorry, but was looking for any further advice and experiences as I am having trouble making my decision. Thanks for your support and patience while I make, what seems like, this monumental decision.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have read so many threads about this and all seem to say the same thing - no big deal in the big scheme of things. Here are some of those threads (see links below) that you might like to look through until other members come along with their first hand knowledge on this!! I also included an article about 'mixed households', should that give you any additional information.

Mixed households - FIV cats living with non-FIV cats

New cat Lolli, FIV positive, and our other 2 cats. Now what?

Looking For Fiv Advice/opinions/experiences

Keeping Fiv Rescue From In-house Cats

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have read so many threads about this and all seem to say the same thing - no big deal in the big scheme of things. Here are some of those threads (see links below) that you might like to look through until other members come along with their first hand knowledge on this!! I also included an article about 'mixed households', should that give you any additional information.

Mixed households - FIV cats living with non-FIV cats

New cat Lolli, FIV positive, and our other 2 cats. Now what?

Looking For Fiv Advice/opinions/experiences

Keeping Fiv Rescue From In-house Cats
I appreciate these links. I’m hoping I’ll have some members come through with first hand experience too!😊

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW Rocky was fiv+ and lived with our fiv- cats for 8 years. There were no issues. He never made any of the others sick. He was non-aggressive, shared food and water dishes, and groomed the other cats. The only difference between him and the others was that instead of an annual check-up, we took him every six months. He was indoor only as are our other cats. He passed away when he was probably about 16 years old. (He was an adult feral when we took him in so not sure on his age, he could have been older) He was a sweet, wonderful boy. I will never regret giving him a home.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 6 cats. 2 are FIV+. I have them all living together. Remember that as long as all cats are spayed/neutered, most cats will not bite deep enough to transmit the disease. Through a deep bite wound is the only method of transmission.

One of my FIV + boys did bite one of the FIV- cats last year. This required vet care. I was worried, he would end of FIV+. I have tested him twice in a years time and he is still negative.

I do give immune boosters to the FIV+ cats. I want them to have long healthy lives. Neither one has had any immune comprised illnesses.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did post about this 6 weeks ago, sorry, but was looking for any further advice and experiences as I am having trouble making my decision. Thanks for your support and patience while I make, what seems like, this monumental decision.
My Wizard
9F8B22AB-A280-43C0-A8CE-DBF37EA7B3E0.jpeg
was fiv + when trapped. He lived with my 3 other cats and fosters for many years and it was never transmitted. He was very gentle and never bit at all. He lived to be 19-20.

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FWIW Rocky was fiv+ and lived with our fiv- cats for 8 years. There were no issues. He never made any of the others sick. He was non-aggressive, shared food and water dishes, and groomed the other cats. The only difference between him and the others was that instead of an annual check-up, we took him every six months. He was indoor only as are our other cats. He passed away when he was probably about 16 years old. (He was an adult feral when we took him in so not sure on his age, he could have been older) He was a sweet, wonderful boy. I will never regret giving him a home.
Thanks for sharing! When you took Rocky every six months, were you having anything specific done or just a once over? (Bloodwork, etc.). Also, did you have his teeth cleaned annually like I have seen some sites mention?

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 6 cats. 2 are FIV+. I have them all living together. Remember that as long as all cats are spayed/neutered, most cats will not bite deep enough to transmit the disease. Through a deep bite wound is the only method of transmission.

One of my FIV + boys did bite one of the FIV- cats last year. This required vet care. I was worried, he would end of FIV+. I have tested him twice in a years time and he is still negative.

I do give immune boosters to the FIV+ cats. I want them to have long healthy lives. Neither one has had any immune comprised illnesses.
You were kind enough to reply when I was looking for info 6 weeks ago too- I really appreciate this. Last time you told me which supplement you use for your FIV+ cats and I added to my shopping list on Amazon. I have been researching different supplements and your FIV+ cats having had no immune compromised illnesses makes me lean towards your recommendation even more. I have one more question regarding the supplement- do the cats respond as if it tastes terrible or take it easily? Do you administer by mouth as suggested or mix in their food?

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Wizard View attachment 305178was fiv + when trapped. He lived with my 3 other cats and fosters for many years and it was never transmitted. He was very gentle and never bit at all. He lived to be 19-20.
He’s gorgeous! It’s great to hear another success story while I’m trying to make this decision.🙂

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You were kind enough to reply when I was looking for info 6 weeks ago too- I really appreciate this. Last time you told me which supplement you use for your FIV+ cats and I added to my shopping list on Amazon. I have been researching different supplements and your FIV+ cats having had no immune compromised illnesses makes me lean towards your recommendation even more. I have one more question regarding the supplement- do the cats respond as if it tastes terrible or take it easily? Do you administer by mouth as suggested or mix in their food?

I mix into food. I believe it is truly tasteless. I started with 2x a day for about 2 weeks, then dropped to once a day for maintenance. If I notice any signs of illness I bump up to 2x a day. I really have had good luck with the DMG. So much so that I started taking DMG for my health!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing! When you took Rocky every six months, were you having anything specific done or just a once over? (Bloodwork, etc.). Also, did you have his teeth cleaned annually like I have seen some sites mention?
He usually only had labs done once a year although there were a few times at the six month mark we did them. He had his teeth cleaned twice and two teeth removed. He was supposed to get a dental this past summer, but he passed before then.:sniffle:

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He usually only had labs done once a year although there were a few times at the six month mark we did them. He had his teeth cleaned twice and two teeth removed. He was supposed to get a dental this past summer, but he passed before then.:sniffle:
I’m so sorry to hear that you lost Rocky- my condolences to you and your family. Thank you for the information on his care.

WefoundOlive!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mix into food. I believe it is truly tasteless. I started with 2x a day for about 2 weeks, then dropped to once a day for maintenance. If I notice any signs of illness I bump up to 2x a day. I really have had good luck with the DMG. So much so that I started taking DMG for my health!
I just ordered this and am excited to get her started! Thanks for the recommendation!😁