FIV+/CHF cat

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jax is in need of your help. He is an 11 yo neutered male, tuxedo cat. He was found to be fiv+ at the time of rescue back in 2015. During the same vet visit, he was also diagnosed with asthma, enlarged heart, and an arrhythmia. Because he was young and stable, the vet didn’t recommend any medications. His health was good for several years until recently. He had a growth on one of his hind legs about three months ago, it appeared to be open and fleshy but non bleeding. The vet gave him general anesthesia and removed it but unfortunately no pathology was performed. Then in late December, he got severely sick - stopped eating, breathing rapidly, we rushed him to the vet who then sent us off to a specialty ER where 200 mL of fluid was removed from his lungs and he was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and acute CHF with 3rd degree AV block. Per the cardiologist, he has a poor prognosis, life span under a year, not a good candidate for a pacemaker. He’s on Vetmedin, plavix, furosemide, CV vitamins with taurine. His appetite has been ok, refuses to eat anything other than fancy feast, and that too with treats, we usually have to give him appetite stimulants on/off. Since his diagnosis of hcm and chf, he’s developed two more skin bumps. One is on the lateral side of his hind paw, pictures below, bleeds periodically, appears to be growing. The second bump is under the neck, getting bigger, not bleeding yet. Today I noticed yet another bump, this one is on his belly, and it is bleeding as I saw spotting on the bed sheet. The vet has looked at the bumps, they can’t be removed, at least not under general anesthesia due to increased risk of cardiopulmonary events. He did say we can try local anesthesia and remove them. He does think they’re cancerous but not 100% sure. We’re probably going to do a biopsy soon.

i am just beside myself, this is so heartbreaking.

has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone know what these bumps may be? They’re not widespread.
Does anyone know any immune boosting supplements I can give my baby? I am so desperate for him to live. Please help us.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know that much about immune boosting additives, however, for the open lesions, you can swab them several times a day with chilled chamomile tea. It is both antibiotic and antifungal, and will help stave off secondary infections in them. It is also VERY soothing, and will make him more comfortable with them. Brew the tea from commercial tea bags from the grocery store. Those are all made with German Chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety (grows in lots of gardens) is neither. Doesn't matter where it says they are grown, it's the variety that matters. Chill it in the fridge, and swab several times a day. It is also safe for internal use for cats (for stress), so there is no issue with him grooming it off. I hope this helps just a little.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Such a pretty boy with so many issues. I do not have much experience with FIV personally or CHF in an animal. I have dealt with skin lesions in dogs and cats. My dog had melanoma on his leg and it manifested itself as pitch black and round...not like what your boy has. As for determining what these are, it is probably best to do a biopsy with a local. If they can be removed with the local, that is fine as well. I do think that you have to know if this is cancer and what type in order to make any other decision about Jax's care. I would avoid anesthesia if he were my cat....I did lose a debilitated older dog (13) to anesthesia and surgery years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s a really sad situation. My sister takes care of him, I am visiting and so helping her out. Her emotional and mental well being concerns me because I know she would be devastated with any negative event concerning Jax. I am trying to help her realize that we are doing everything we can to help him, and make him comfortable, the rest is up to the higher power.

We took him into the vet this evening. He is scheduled for a biopsy this Friday. Hoping for the best.

Thank You for chiming in, really appreciateit!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know what you find out. This is a hard road for your sister and you can only do what you are already doing to support her. The admin of another animal support site where I am a moderator always says "may we live 1000 years and die the day after our dog" which sort of sums it up. Our animal friends have unfairly short lives...but hoping that Jax will continue on.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I look at him and my heart aches so much. If only he could understand how much we love him and want him to keep fighting. In the meantime, we’ll keep trying. Just got him immune boosting supplements and a gel to keep some weight on. Hoping it works. I will keep you guys posted on the results of the biopsy and his progress!

thank you for the support. My sister and I are grateful to have it ❤.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They know. Believe me, they do know! They live, breathe, and have their existence wrapped in our love. How could they not know? He knows he is loved, and he knows that you are fighting for him, fighting right along beside him. He knows.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all the comforting words. We are at the vet now, waiting for surgery under local anesthesia. Will post the outcome later.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jax had the surgery yesterday evening. The vet was able to excise the growth under his neck completely, under local anesthesia. Fortunately, it was subcutaneous without deep extensions. My sister and I held him during the procedure, he showed a lot of sass. We were glad for it, taking it as a sign that he’s got plenty of fight in him. He bled appropriately, and now has 3-4 staples at the incision site. I believe we’re going back in abt a week to remove them. The vet also aspirated the growth on the belly. Both neck and belly specimens were sent out for pathology, we’ll have the results next week.

The growth on the hind paw is very similar to the growth that was under the neck, a little flat in appearance, possibly from the licking. By the time we got to the paw, Jax was stressed out so we decided to stop there. The vet wants to see him back on Wednesday for general assessment, wound healing, and possibly removing the growth on the paw.

Jax has been handling this whole situation really well. He has been walking around and engaging with us a little more than usual! He’s been asking us to pet him non-stop. He even finished all his breakfast this morning without any fussing.

I know that everyday is going to be different with its unique challenges, but we will appreciate and cherish the good ones and help him through the difficult ones with loving care. Right now, we are so excited to see him improved even though he just had surgery.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Look at that brave little boy! He really does not look as stressed as I might have imagined from the procedures. It is good, hopefully, that the neck growth was not deep and that the others will be investigated. Please keep us posted. Big hug to Jax and his family.