Fitting Dansko Professional clogs

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you folks can help me since no where near me sells Dansko. I wear an 8.5 in pretty much everything, so I ordered the Euro 39 in black oiled. My heel moves up and down in the shoe, my toes do not touch the end of the toebox, but I notice it is pretty snug across the top of my foot. I cannot put a pinky in the back of the shoe at the heel, but I do not feel my heels rubbing or anything like that. I can't decide if these are just a touch small and if I should exchange them for the 40s or if these stretch. Thoughts?

Edited to add: the arch support feels like it's a bit too far forward, literally smack behind the ball of my foot. Like the shoes are made a touch short in length?

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try a 9? An 8.5 wide? Something like that? Sometimes I need a wide and it helps in length as well. I'm sorry....I'm no help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up ordering the 40s will probably send the 39s back. Waiting until the 40s get here before sending the others back. I'll be sure to update the thread; never know who it may help!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just call or email their company and ask them?

http://www.dansko.com/
Unfortunately they give this advice: follow the sizing chart and try on as many pairs as you can (including a size up and below) since they are handmade and may vary. Yikes.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think since they are hand made, a person really needs to go to a store and try them on. I bought one pair during the summer at a sporting goods store. I wear a size 8 shoe and bought the 38's. Even in trying on several pairs of the same size they were all not the same. By the way, you are supposed to be able to feel them slide up and down on the back of your foot. You just get used to them after wearing them awhile.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Dansko clogs and they are the shoe of choice at most equestrian barns. They last forever and are so easy to get in and out of before you pull on your riding boots. They are very sturdy and I find them very comfortable. I still wear mine all the time. I am a size 9.5 (40) BUT bought the (39) for one pair and then another pair is the 40. I bought mine from a Tack store in Illinois. Most saddle shops carry Dansko shoes. I do agree that they can run a bit different in size from one to another. I have to wear a thicker sock in the 40 to help with slippage. Hope the 40 works for you! :cross:

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blueyedgirl5946, I wish I could try them on! It would save a lot of trouble. I know they should allow the heel to move up and down, but the 39 just seems short on my 8.5 feet. I can't get a Bic pen between my heel and the heel cup. I swear I remember more space than that years ago! LOL! I found a few places online where people have complained that the new shoes (since the company sold in 2007) fit shorter than before. Some 8.5 wearers have had to buy 41s for fit!

It's a good thing I don't ride horses anymore. No tack shops anywhere near me. Closest I got is a Tractor Supply, LOL!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what retailer you ordered from, but if it's a smaller place you could outline your feet on pieces of paper and send them with your exchange, with a note asking if they could try to find a fit. You might also order a few pairs at one time to try on - but that depends on their return policy - could be pricey but maybe not. (You might end up ordering and returning several pairs anyway only taking longer time one by one.)

You can also take them to a shoe repair place, if the overall fit is good most places charge just a few dollars to stretch the leather out a bit in places to make them fit better.

What makes a clog professional?

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 40's came in today! The arch support is where it is supposed to be, I can fit a finger behind my heel. They feel a touch loose like clogs/muckers usually do. A bit sloppy but it's been years since I've dealt with clogs.

Swampwitch, "Professional" is the style of clog from Dansko with a closed heel.