Fished a kitten out of our pool last Monday. Need some advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We are still having diarrhea with her so guessing she's going to need deworming at the vet tomorrow but she's still eating and playing so we are monitoring her.

When we first got her we had her eating WholeHearted grain free but then the store was out so I got blue buffalo grain free. A day or so after starting on blue buffalo she started having diarrhea. I figured it was the food change so I kept her on blue buffalo for 4 days but she kept having diarrhea so we have gone back to Wholehearted grain free just in case she was having an allergy with blue buffalo.

Hopefully the vet will have some ideas for us as well.
If the diarrhea is watery, you must ensure to give her more electrolytes. flavorless peidalyte for babies is good. You can begin with just sprinkling a little salt on her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robertskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update, Jiji did great at the vet, very friendly. Fecal came back negative so no deworming needed. She's started eating the WholeHearted like it's going out of style so I think the Blue Buffalo just upset her stomach. She was 1.2 lbs on Wednesday at roundly 7 weeks. She got her first round of vaccines and the diarrhea resolved on Thursday. She's steadily gaining weight and seems to be doing great!

robertskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can’t wait for more photos!!!
She's steadily gaining weight. By my rough guess (using Mondays as her weekly 'age up' days) she turned 8 weeks old today! She's 1lb 6oz as of today. I can no longer feel between her spine though I can still easily feel her ribs.

This weekend we moved her in with our big cat Luna into the spare bedroom "the cat room." It's gone fairly well. There was an uptick in Luna hissing and no claws swatting but Jiji kept coming back for more so we aren't worried.

Jiji is definitely eating Luna's food. I'm apprehensive to put Luna's food out of reach, in case Luna is also eating some of Jiji's food. I don't have a good place to feed Jiji that Luna can't reach easily (suggestions?)

Here are some pictures!
52ffa383-c0fe-4412-ad21-14e6a80dd11fphoto.jpeg
Luna supervising play time.
20220702_223535.jpg
Jiji using Luna's litter robot. It has to stay turned off till Jiji is at least 5lbs. So far they are both using this without issue but there are two regular boxes available too just in case!
And of course, crazy kitten play time pictures!
20220704_201503.jpg
20220704_202014.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! I have been following and this is such a wonderful rescue story! Luna looks very interested in Jiji in the photo. A little swatting of a kitten is kind of expected. After all, a grown cat will try to teach a kitten the house rules. (Cat rules lol) Loving the photos and so grateful to you for saving that little one!

robertskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jiji is definitely a little brat so I'm fine with Luna putting her in her place. Jiji will pounce Luna, get swatted, roll on her back like "I give up!" then be back pouncing Luna 5 seconds later.

Both of them are using the litter box and eating so I'm happy with the progress. The real test will be Thursday. Everyone will be at work all day so Luna and Jiji will be closed in the room together.

There are lots of vertical spaces Luna can reach to get away from Jiji and Jiji has a few hiding spots I don't think Luna can access so hopefully it goes smoothly!!

One of Luna's new very important cat jobs is to supervise every feeding of the kitten. When Jiji starts calling for food Luna will come with me into the kitchen, watch me mix and warm up the wet food, then follow me into the cat room. She doesn't try to take the food or bother the kitten when she eats, she just sees me do it so she 'helps' as cats do.

Luna is playing a lot more with the feather teaser than she used to which has been really nice to see. Luna has also lost a bit of weight since the kitten came which I worried about but she's still eating and pooping so I think it's just because she has something else to do besides sleep most of the day lol.

Jiji doesn't get hissed at too often any more, mostly just swatted for being a brat.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jiji is definitely a little brat so I'm fine with Luna putting her in her place. Jiji will pounce Luna, get swatted, roll on her back like "I give up!" then be back pouncing Luna 5 seconds later.

Both of them are using the litter box and eating so I'm happy with the progress. The real test will be Thursday. Everyone will be at work all day so Luna and Jiji will be closed in the room together.

There are lots of vertical spaces Luna can reach to get away from Jiji and Jiji has a few hiding spots I don't think Luna can access so hopefully it goes smoothly!!

One of Luna's new very important cat jobs is to supervise every feeding of the kitten. When Jiji starts calling for food Luna will come with me into the kitchen, watch me mix and warm up the wet food, then follow me into the cat room. She doesn't try to take the food or bother the kitten when she eats, she just sees me do it so she 'helps' as cats do.

Luna is playing a lot more with the feather teaser than she used to which has been really nice to see. Luna has also lost a bit of weight since the kitten came which I worried about but she's still eating and pooping so I think it's just because she has something else to do besides sleep most of the day lol.

Jiji doesn't get hissed at too often any more, mostly just swatted for being a brat.
sounds like things are going very well and they will be bff before you know it, both such cuties 😻

robertskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fun update! Jiji came out with me today and helped with errands. We went to PetSmart, Petco, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's. Anyone who wanted to, got to pet her and she did great. Hopefully soon she will be big enough to start harness training. (I live in Oklahoma and all cats are harnessed trained in the event of displacement via tornado!)

I bought a two new cat trees for the cat room. One came today, the other will come tomorrow. I got it all set up and took pictures of the girls checking it out!
20220713_140747.jpg
20220713_141001.jpg

A quick question. In the last week or so I've noticed Jiji approaching Luna with her body sideways, ears back, and then trying to pounce. Luna only has to smack her once and Jiji is on the ground on her back with her feet up. Is this an attempt at play or something concerning?
20220713_141456.jpg

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fun update! Jiji came out with me today and helped with errands. We went to PetSmart, Petco, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's. Anyone who wanted to, got to pet her and she did great. Hopefully soon she will be big enough to start harness training. (I live in Oklahoma and all cats are harnessed trained in the event of displacement via tornado!)

I bought a two new cat trees for the cat room. One came today, the other will come tomorrow. I got it all set up and took pictures of the girls checking it out!
View attachment 426118View attachment 426119

A quick question. In the last week or so I've noticed Jiji approaching Luna with her body sideways, ears back, and then trying to pounce. Luna only has to smack her once and Jiji is on the ground on her back with her feet up. Is this an attempt at play or something concerning?
View attachment 426122
Yay, great news..😻 yes it is totally normal. She is just playing and testing boundaries and when Luna disciplines her she rolls on her back submissively etc. Angie used to do that to Byron a lot and he would wack her loudly on the head, but never hurt her. She just kept jumping on him 2 minutes later, lol, but at about 6 months, she finally calmed down.

In her attempts to get him to playfight etc. She would relentlessly jump on his rear and do what I called the kabuki dance where she did that submissive posture laying on the ground and at the same time wiggled around with ears back and the cutest wacky expression 😹 I took a video of it at the time but I sadly can’t find it now. 😿

She also would stand in front of him, he was a big cat and she was a tiny kitten, and hold her paw up, looking at him with a feisty look to challenge him. He just looked at her like you’ve got to be kitten me😹

Take as much video and pics of these precious moments as you can to remember them all. 🤗

Last edited:

robertskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jiji is making it very hard to keep her contained these days. She's been breaking over the top of the baby gate with increasing frequency in spite of attempts to fortify against escape.

At 10 weeks and only 2lbs I really don't want her around the whole house. Plus my pit/husky mix seems to get really intense when she's out. I think he feels protective of her but as big as he is I'm fully aware he may see her as prey so I'm wanting to keep them apart till she's a bit larger.

If she wasn't in the cat room, where Luna can come and go freely, I'd just put a screen door up but we want Luna to be able to come and go as she pleases since the litter box and food are in there.

On the plus Luna has begun engaging in play fighting with the kitten and actually following her to play so that's good to see.

Here's the barrier in it's current state as of updates this morning. Fingers crossed it keeps her in!!
16581496074353259705612816120442.jpg