Fish4cats

kikolino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all!! My name is Orlando and I've got a cat Kiko a regdoll of 7 years old, I'd like to if somebody know this kind of dry food fisch4cats, is a good grain free? Kiko eat olso canned food about 100-150gr a day, at the moment I feed him with purina pro plan but i want give to him a grain free food-

Thank you for a kind answere

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/can-i-feed-my-cat-a-fish-based-or-fish-flavored-diet
Read the article above first. I did try the fish4cats kibble before I knew better (fish4dogs kibble is part of my dog food rotation list). My cat wouldn't touch it, but he is picky. I gave the kibble (2 bags worth - I got 2 flavours to try) to a friend of mine. Her cat has weight issues because she'll eat absolutely anything. She wouldn't touch it either.

IMO wet food is far better for cat health than kibble - I only feed it in combination with wet for my old boy (he's very set in his ways. His kibble is a vet urinary diet - I had wanted to switch as I don't like the ingredients, but have since decided to stick with it to ensure we don't have a uti flare).

If you're set on kibble, I think there are better ones out there. Fish4dogs/cats is relatively expensive for what it is.

I'd suggest maybe http://www.edenpetfoods.com/product...-15-0-multi-meat-and-fish-adult-cat-food.html (does contain fish, but the highest by dry weight is herring - small fish have fewer issues than big fish), or maybe Feringa, applaws, purizon or the imported Canadian foods - Orijen, Acana, or maybe the American Taste of the Wild. I personally prefer European (ideally uk) brands simply because of fewer air miles! Hope that's some help.

(all brands except for eden can be got from zooplus, if you're worried about finding stockists) :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikolino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, yes I feed a wet/dry combo, Eden is very good but the crude ash at 10.5% is not to high? I'm not expert in nutrition but many people said the high ash is not too good, maybe if cat  don't eat canned food? Anyway finisched a pack of fisch4cats I want to try another grain free, generally i order food by zooplus.

Purizon is good too? 

Thanks a lot

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My understanding is that ash content itself isn't crucial - ash is simply the mineral content. What can be important is the percentage of the individual minerals (ie low phosphorous for kidney issues). I believe the eden is a calorie dense kibble. The more energy dense a food us the higher the ash content as it's got to supply the same quantity of minerals in a smaller volume/weight.

In general, I would look for a grain free, high meat food. There will always be compromises - particularly with dry food. It's just a case of deciding which elements are most important to you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It used to be thought that high ash played a role in uti probs, but that has since proven to be false. In that instance, it's the pH that's important, not the ash.