Fish

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I supplement my black labs diet with Jack Makeral. I know you aren't supposed to feed cat's tuna, but what about rinsed makeral? They go nuts when my pup gets hers.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You basically want to stay away from anything packed or preserved with polyunsatatured oils. The cat's system has a hard time breaking down these types of oils and it can cause problems. You really are better off just sticking to canned and dry cat food with a few treats along the way.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Ryelee's Mom
I supplement my black labs diet with Jack Makeral. I know you aren't supposed to feed cat's tuna, but what about rinsed makeral? They go nuts when my pup gets hers.
I am confused (even more after Hissy's reply).RM, are you asking about giving fish to your dog right?

I give my cat tuna... It is canned in water and not in any oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my dog Makeral and was asking if I could feed it to my cats too. The makeral is packed in water not oil so I am unsure if that makes a difference. Maybe Hissy will see this and reply.

Here is a link about feeding tuna to your cats: Feeding Tuna

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that I have read that article, it sounds like it is okay to give tuna just not very often so I am assuming the makeral would be okay too just not all the time.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Contrary to popular belief, fish is not a natural food for cats, unless your cat has been stranded on an island and the only source of food is raw fish. Pet food companies include fish in many of their products because they use the wasted products of the fish. The good parts go for human consumption. Fish given as a staple for your cat can cause your cat a nutritional deficiency. We all grew up with images of cats and fish, but it reality, the best food you can give your cat is high quality canned and dry and fresh water.

You can feasibly feed your cat in small amounts, mackeral, tuna, anchovies, salmon, crab, shrimp, but they don't need it. They want it only because when it is packaged for our use it is done so to allow the smell of it to get to us, and so it also gets to your cat. My final thought is this, with the increasing ocean pollution in the world, eating and feeding fish is getting riskier. We have a friend who works a trawler out of Dutch Harbor Alaska and lately we have gotten letters from him talking about fish being caught with huge tumors on their heads.

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Hissy, nope my cat's and I live far from water hehe. I don't eat ocean fish mainly because it isn't easily available here. I am a fisherwoman and I do catch brooke trout out of cold water, but that's for me to eat since I am such a pathetic fisherwoman and I am lucky to catch one itty bitty fish hehe.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give tuna as a treat once in a while. I dont see how it can be that bad. as long as its not a habit. I have to give Mags nasty tasting liquid antibiotics and I squirt the stuff in some tuna and he gobbles it right down. Never again will I medicate without it!