Fish Oils Causing Loose Poop or Itching

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried everything for our Cat Toby from the Iceland Pure Sardine/Anchovy Oil, Iceland Pure Salmon Oil, Green Lipped Mussels, Sardines in water in the Can, Artic Cod Liver Oil, and even Sea Kelp. The Iceland Pure Sardine/Anchovy Oil along with the Sardines, No Salt Added in the can cause him to have soft poop to where it gets on his tail (Long hair), then the Salmon Oil, Green Lipped Mussel Treats and Artic Cod Live Oil makes him itch all over like he has fleas which he doesn't as we use the Only Natural Flea Tag also I keep a check on him using his Flea Comb.
Our Vet recommended Vetoquinol Fish Oil but as I told her, it too is Sardine/Anchovy Oil. The Sea Kelp seems to have the least side effects but not sure if it is okay to continue to use it for his Omega Source. He does get Dr. Marty's Feline Prime which has some Kelp in it which would make me wonder if using the Sea Kelp be too much Kelp? If so can someone recommend anything else. I also wonder if the Cod Liver Oil hasn't caused his ears to flare up again as he has Food Sensitivities to just about anything other than Lamb, Rabbit, and Duck which he gets for his food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might help members to know why you are trying all these various products - in other words for what purpose? I am not wise to the raw food world, so I presume it is be considered a necessary supplement to non-cat food feeding?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How often are you giving the oil, and how much?
Personally, I haven’t used fish oils in a long time.
I include raw egg yolks in all my mixes, and pork brain in one mix once a week.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cod liver oil is a bad choice, it’s high in vitamin A. I’d try the vetquinol, or any other pharmaceutical grade fish oil. He could be highly allergic to fish, enough that he reacts to oil, but something super refined may not be an issue.
Id be worried about iodine content in the kelp oil you’re offering, so wouldn’t suggest using it in the long term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might help members to know why you are trying all these various products - in other words for what purpose? I am not wise to the raw food world, so I presume it is be considered a necessary supplement to non-cat food feeding?
Yes, when Feeding Raw, you have to sumplement

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cat laxatives are based on fish oils..you sure your cat needs it??
They have to have something for their Omegas and the Fish Oil is the go to for them however as I mentioned they either make him itch or have loose poop.

Cod liver oil is a bad choice, it’s high in vitamin A. I’d try the vetquinol, or any other pharmaceutical grade fish oil. He could be highly allergic to fish, enough that he reacts to oil, but something super refined may not be an issue.
Id be worried about iodine content in the kelp oil you’re offering, so wouldn’t suggest using it in the long term.
Maurey this isn't the Kelp Oil it is Kelp Powder from Wholistic Pet Organics. I didn't know it had high levels of Idoine in it. On the Oils that we tried they had a pump and I would pump it one time. When you say super refined what is it you are referring to?
For the Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil I just looked and the Iceland one is a Pharmaceutical Brand. When I compared it with the Vetquinol, I did see that the Vetquinol is slightly different but I would be worried that it may cause Toby's Poop to be too soft as well.
Product | Hare Today (hare-today.com)
furmonster mom furmonster mom
How often are you giving the oil, and how much?
Personally, I haven’t used fish oils in a long time.
I include raw egg yolks in all my mixes, and pork brain in one mix once a week.
I have heard of people using Egg Yolks. I could only use Duck Eggs as Toby is allergic to Chicken and Chicken Eggs. When we got him the first thing I used was the Alnutrin Premix and that led to his ears getting infected.

Last edited:

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use this per Vet recommendation. This is squid oil. I don't see on website but the bottle i have says omega 3 from squid.

OMEGA BENEFITS CAT AND SMALL DOG (6.76 FL OZ.)

Omega Benefits® Cat & Small Dog | Veterinarian Recommended Solutions

Other choices we discussed are krill oil and algae oil but I do not have specific products information.

Hope you will find something works for your kitty!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How often are you giving it? Maybe cut back on it a bit? From what I’ve seen with other raw feeders, they only give fish oils once or twice a week. 🤷🏻‍♀️

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've gotten some terrific responses above! I was wondering, what about something like human grade Nature Made fish oil? It indicates that it's purified to remove mercury, and comes from wild caught ocean fish, not farm raised. My Poppycat gets a small amount of this once or twice a week.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How often are you giving it? Maybe cut back on it a bit? From what I’ve seen with other raw feeders, they only give fish oils once or twice a week. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I always gave it daily. I never thought about just a couple times a week. I did get him some Sardines in the can to try one more time and will just give them a little once a week. I don't have to worry about them going to waste as my husband loves Sardines. lol!!!

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 80/10/10 grinds at the moment, and in addition to the supplements, I use 2 pumps of the Icelandic Sardine oil 5 lbs of cat food. So, I use it pretty sparingly. Perhaps daily is too much?

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use 80/10/10 grinds at the moment, and in addition to the supplements, I use 2 pumps of the Icelandic Sardine oil 5 lbs of cat food. So, I use it pretty sparingly. Perhaps daily is too much?
Yes, that is what we get from Viva Raw. How many times a week do you use it? I got some little Sardines in the can, in water, yesterday and thought about putting 1 little Sardine to 2 lbs of food before putting it up, to see if he could handle that.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love Viva Raw too! :redheartpump: I actually make 5 lbs (if using a HareToday 5 lb chub), or 6 lbs batches (if using Viva Raw), and I add my extra supplements (we use Alnutrin for meat and bone, and a scoop of additional taurine) to the water, and then I just use two pumps of the fish oil in the batch before I mix everything together. I then freeze the food into 2 oz storage cubes. I never add the fish oil to the thawed meals - I just add it to the grind, water, and other supplements. My understanding is that the fish oil doesn’t lose any of it’s properties if it’s frozen.

smoky&maple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just in my experience, I gave my cats a small amount of cod liver oil in their food and they pooped everywhere. I didn't know it was a laxative, and it was stronger than the laxatives I gave my older cat for constipation.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since we discontinued the Cod Liver Oil and have been using the Vetoquinol Sardine Anchovy Oil 3 Pumps per 2 lbs of Food, Toby hasn't had any more issues. Toby also had a reaction to the Cod Liver Oil with his ears.