Fish Oil

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I know a lot of people stay away from fish flavors for food. I've noticed most wet food, not fish flavored, has fish oil now that I've started checking ingrediants. Is there any concern with always feeding foods with fish oil? It's literally in everything.

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I know a lot of people stay away from fish flavors for food. I've noticed most wet food, not fish flavored, has fish oil now that I've started checking ingrediants. Is there any concern with always feeding foods with fish oil? It's literally in everything.
My understanding is that fish oil provides Omega3 fatty acids, which, again to my understanding, is very beneficial to cats (and people). I believe it usually shows up on the label as Menhadden fish oil/meal. Personally, I think it's a good ingredient. Salmon oil is probably a better quality source, but my cats won't touch it, and I can't say that I blame them. One capsule was enough for me! If you're in the mood for a bit of research, you can find lots of info about Menhadden on the web.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you Gremlin!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And from an allergy perspective, fish oil is different from fish protein. My Krista can’t have salmon protein because it’s one of her IBD trigger proteins. But she has no issues with salmon oil.