Fish Oil for cats to help soften poop

beverlyjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
has any one had any experience using this?  if so, how much shld I give?  on dry food alone, she  (Miss Pretty Kitty) seems to have a bit of a tough time cleaning herself after pooping.  I don't want to go whole hog and buy $1.00 a can cat food, I live on SS Disability.  Thoughts anyone?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried fish oil. I have tried coconut oil - about a teaspoon, hand-fed. It works well. I hear that olive oil works too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never heard of fish oil for softening stools.  I have heard of it for helping their skin and coats.  Usually you buy it in a pump bottle and it tells you on the bottle how many pumps to use based on their weight.  (for cats it's normally 1/2 to one pump).

You dont have to papy $1 per can for cat food.  Friskies PATE is less than that, and is an ok food.  (only the PATE though).  Same with Fancy Feast CLASSICS, and Sheba PATE.  And don't be fooled by the amount it says to feed on the can.  Usually, at least with Friskies,  ONE  5.5 oz can is plenty for a normal sized cat per day. 

You mentioned Miss Pretty Kitty is having a hard time cleaning herself after she poops.  Is that because she is getting old and possibly is developing arthritis?  Or is she overweight? 

hazel costner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten had severe constipation. I read somewhere to give her pumpkin in her milk, didn't work, I added Olive oil, canola, finally turned to the only thing that worked for my own kids, karo syrup. Also took her off the kitty milk (she's 8 weeks) so I put karo in with boneless salmon and she has been leaking poo everywhere! Now Idk if it's the change of diet, the salmon or the karo but she's definitely not constipated anymore. Smh

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Miralax for the constipation? A cat dose is 1/8 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon fully dissolved in water and then mixed into canned food. Before you give Miralax to your kitten, check with the vet first.

Don't give too much Karo (corn syrup). It's basically sugar and raises blood glucose levels and may cause hyperactivity.