Fish Free Kitten Food

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will be getting a kitten in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a kitten food with no fish both canned and dry. My son is allergic to fish and can't be licked by a pet who eats fish. I have looked a lot and haven't had much luck. I know of some adult foods without fish because our senior cat was eating them before she passed away. The ones that she ate don't say approved for all life stages. My son may be ok with Salmon, but we don't know for sure. I'd rather not take the chance. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much, but here are a couple-three I ran across in the past.
Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau Succulent Chicken in Chicken Consomme Grain-Free Canned Cat Food - I've read descriptions that claim it is for all life stages, but it might require asking the company directly if this is really true.
Nulo Freestyle Minced Turkey & Duck in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat & Kitten Food
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Kitten Dinner Chicken Recipe Pate - specifically labeled as 'all life stages'
I don't use dry, so couldn't offer anything regarding it.

The other thing you might consider doing is to check out the nutritional content/value of the foods you were feeding your senior and compare that with 'actual' kitten food - I think you will find the difference to be almost negligible in many cases.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Wellness Kitten Entree doesn’t have fish, but it has fish oil. Not sure if that is acceptable to you.

The cans I have of the Merrick Purrfect Kitten chicken I have contains salmon.

Weruva Kitten Chicken Breast in Hydrating Gelée doesn’t appear to have any fish.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try this: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

FWIW, I never fed one of my cats kitten specific food or even all life stages food. I fed him raw food and still does. He grew up just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the suggestions thus far. The fish oil would definitely be a no. I notice that sometimes no type of fish is listed. We think my son is ok with Salmon and started feeding our cat food with that. She also wasn't a licker. I did checkout the Weruva hydrating chicken breast. I found another, Soulistic Pate Kitten Chicken Breast Hydrating Puree. I may just skip the dry food since that seems to be the more difficult to find.
I think I may be over thinking it. What did kittens do 20-30yrs ago? I don't recall having kitten specific food then. If we decide to add dry, I like the idea of comparing the nutritional content between the adult food and kitten. I wish the pet food companies would list the allergens in the food.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koha limited diet shredded doesnt have fish. The pate has New Zealand mussels.

There are also a few of the fancy feast classic pate that do not have fish. Tender beef and chicken, tender beef and liver , classic grill

I and love and you chicken me out pate has no seafood.

several of the tiki cat after dark don’t have fish either

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Many foods will say chicken but have fish so always check the ingredients. My cats were fed wellness core,Dr elseys,tiki,weruva kitten through adult. fancy feast classics only has 3oz cans so that would take 6+ to feed a kitten. I emailed the company and they might eventually have 5.5 oz cans!

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many foods will say chicken but have fish so always check the ingredients. My cats were fed wellness core,Dr elseys,tiki,weruva kitten through adult. fancy feast only has 3oz cans so that would take 6+ to feed a kitten. I emailed the company and they might eventually have 5.5 oz cans!
I would love if fancy feast did 5.5 ounce cans! I use 8 a day

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure the weruva kitten foods that aren't fish flavors don't have any. We bought that for Gracie, but try to avoid fish anything as well just in case Jasper tries to sneak some bites.

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions. We bought the Weruva and Soulistic kitten canned cat food. I'm waiting for a response on the Vetdiet canned kitten food which appears to have none, but just checking. That spreadsheet list is great. Started looking through it the other night. My senior cat loved Fancy Feast. I think a lot of people would buy the larger can.
We ended up getting the kitty on Wednesday. Was told it was a girl. Took forever to pick a name, but upon inspection noticed it's a boy. Now we are back to square one on the name.
PXL_20220805_023901101.jpg

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gracious goodness what a darling sweetheart!!🥰

This might help :)
name those kitties a-z
Thanks for this. There was a lot of disagreements over the name. All 5 of us had a different name picked out. Honey Bun, Pablo, Pepper, Captain Sparklepants and Oliver. We decided on Oliver.

tavery313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute kitten! I never fed kitten food to my two boys just for the record. Enjoy you new addition.:D
Thanks. We live in a rural area. So I'm prepared to feed him the 3-4 flavors of Fancy Feast I know are fish free if we can't get the kitten food. I think I said in a previous post. I tend to over think things.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My senior cat loved Fancy Feast. I think a lot of people would buy the larger can.
Ngl. I buy fancy feast and mix it in with their weruva since my cats seem to like to turn their noses up to the healthy foods /sigh
I also fed my older cat fancy feast, too. It was ALL she would eat and you know what, her coat was beautiful and she was alert and active up until the day we had to put her down, so nothing wrong with it imo.

I hope you guys like weruva! I personally LOVE it for my cats <3

Oliver is a beautiful name. We had an Oliver. ^_^ Congrats on your new baby

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We live in a rural area. So I'm prepared to feed him the 3-4 flavors of Fancy Feast I know are fish free if we can't get the kitten food. I think I said in a previous post. I tend to over think things.
My cats puked up fancy feast kitten because it had milk in it. Make sure you check ingredients if there’s a sensitivity