Fish Based Food

Ruthy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wrote in about a month ago saying that I could not find a cat food that where my cats wouldn’t just lick the juice and actually eat the food, I’m convinced my cats just don’t like the chunky food because I took them to the vet and their teeth are OK. They will only eat all of their food when I grind it up into the consistency of one of those lickable treats which I rarely give anymore. I did find the food Weruva bff omg and they lick their plate clean with that and I don’t have to do anything to it but I’m concerned that the pouches all of them are tuna-based and I’ve read about the mercury in seafood and that you shouldn’t give your cats tuna very much. Does anyone know if the food being tuna-based is the same as being completely tuna or I guess what I’m trying to say is would it be harmful to my cats if the Weruva pouches were all I gave them every day. Right now I also do buy The wellness flavors of chicken and turkey but I blend them up to the consistency they like which is OK for them but I think they like the pouches better. I would like to add that I also give them dry cat food and I found they like Origen The best.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mercury in seafood takes a long time time to bio-accumulate. Years!

There are many reasons not to feed fish to cats and most of them are dismissible. One of the articles that's sure to get posted in the replies spends a good long time describing why raw fish shouldn't be fed to cats but then it says in the last paragraph that none of this matters with fish-based cat foods since those are cooked foods. Another article that I'm sure will get posted covers the ethical and environmental issues. But there are ethical and environmental issues with land-based food too. And the issue of synthetic vitamin K in cat foods is a non-issue based on a conflation of environmental exposure such as feed lot operators dumping bags of this chemical into animal feed vs. normal food exposure like that of the animal consuming the menadione.

But a couple of very good reasons to avoid feeding fish regularly is that it is addictive to the point where cats sometimes won't eat anything but fish. And for this very reason, I reserve tuna for when Krista won't eat anything else. It is her bridge food between "omg why won't you eat?!" and the vet visit that almost certainly follows. If I fed her tuna regularly, it would no longer hold this special place with her and I would lose my nuclear option to get her to eat when she doesn't feel like eating.

Tiki Cat makes a Velvet Mousse food that your cats might like. There are two non-fish flavors: Chicken and Chicken & Egg.

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=tiki cat velvet mousse&nav-submit-button=

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

There are many reasons not to feed fish to cats and most of them are dismissible. One of the articles that's sure to get posted in the replies spends a good long time describing why raw fish shouldn't be fed to cats but then it says in the last paragraph that none of this matters with fish-based cat foods since those are cooked foods. Another article that I'm sure will get posted covers the ethical and environmental issues. But there are ethical and environmental issues with land-based food too. And the issue of synthetic vitamin K in cat foods is a non-issue based on a conflation of environmental exposure such as feed lot operators dumping bags of this chemical into animal feed vs. normal food exposure like that of the animal consuming the menadione.

But a couple of very good reasons to avoid feeding fish regularly is that it is addictive to the point where cats sometimes won't eat anything but fish. And for this very reason, I reserve tuna for when Krista won't eat anything else. It is her bridge food between "omg why won't you eat?!" and the vet visit that almost certainly follows. If I fed her tuna regularly, it would no longer hold this special place with her and I would lose my nuclear option to get her to eat when she doesn't feel like eating.

Tiki Cat makes a Velvet Mousse food that your cats might like. There are two non-fish flavors: Chicken and Chicken & Egg.

Yea im having a similar issue [email protected] bought Nutro portions n it had beef..chicken...n tuna..flavors..n he DONT want to eat none of the flavors but the tuna...he laps that up n turn nose up at the other 2 flavors...n I just did this n last couple of days..trying to go grain free...

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The issue is mercury is dangerous for babies and pregnant women and even adult humans are not recommended to eat fish like tuna more than once or so a week because of heavy metals. It DOES matter. So I avoid it. I only eat fish in general once a week and it’s usually freshwater salmon or farm raised tilapia. I only rarely eat tuna. If you have to feed fish feed a non ocean fish. And contact companies to see if they are farming their fish or if it’s wild caught. I’m not a huge fan of either. Which is why I only eat fish once a week at the most. Freshwater fishing is having massive effects on wild fish populations and river ecosystems. Farmed isn’t much better as the fish are usually wallowing in their own filth in small pens and being fed pretty crappy non nutritional diets and fish farming is causing damage to surrounding water supplies and fish populations as well. It’s hard to look past all of these things when I’m wondering if I want to include fish in my animals diet so I choose not to. Obviously if you’ve tried all other options, what can you do but feed a fish based diet. But ideally it shouldn’t be done. Just try to contact companies and see how and where they are sourcing their food. I know pristine cat food by castor and pullox claim they source sustainable wild caught fish so if I did have to feed fish is pick them.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea im having a similar issue [email protected] bought Nutro portions n it had beef..chicken...n tuna..flavors..n he DONT want to eat none of the flavors but the tuna...he laps that up n turn nose up at the other 2 flavors...n I just did this n last couple of days..trying to go grain free...
Can you open two cans and mix a half of each can together so it is not quite fish not quite chicken? That what I do for one of mine who can be fussy, thankfully his brother eats ANYTHING.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you open two cans and mix a half of each can together so it is not quite fish not quite chicken? That what I do for one of mine who can be fussy, thankfully his brother eats ANYTHING.
This sounds a lot like certain Weruva Cats in the Kitchen canned foods that we give our cats every now and then, as a treat: there's both chicken and fish in them, and the cats love them. They smell very fishy. If a cat picks at them and leaves the chicken, I'd just try running the whole can of food through a mini-processor. Some of Weruva's shreds come out very nicely that way. (I'm sure not all processors have the same effect, though.)

Our previous cat was a fish addict and, as daftcat75 daftcat75 mentions, that can be trouble. Ours got very picky about fish. In her case, fish may have been one of her food sensitivities; fish's inflammatory effects are one of the big reasons our vet recommends limiting fish-based foods.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what im doing now..but somehow got to get him off that tuna

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two were weaned onto fish based wet food by my friend whose cat had a litter of kittens ( she is spayed now) his cat would only and still does eat fish based wet food, thanks to this site I learned to rotate wet food to help prevent an addiction to fish flavours,but one of them Elliott really still likes fish which I limit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ruthy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I called around to see who sold the Tiki cat food because where I was going did not sell it and Petco had it I went and I bought a couple pouches of the moose and one cat loved it and the other cat really didn’t care for it but while I was there I noticed they also sold the Weruva bff omg which my cats loved but they had a couple flavors that weren’t fish that feeders supply didn’t sell so I got them. I think I’m gonna stick with what I have been doing by using my ninja and blend up the canned wet food I have been using from wellness, Fussie cat, instinct and a few other brands of flavors they like that aren’t fish and use the Weruva I found today, it’s really not that bad to have to blend it up all the time when you know your giving them something their going to eat. Thanks for everyone’s advice

Last edited by a moderator:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish will sometimes go on a fish only strike, usually when I have just opened a can of chicken only. In order to not have to throw out the chicken I mix it with the fish and she eats it right down.

Unfortunately, I have gone from no fish, which was perfectly fine by her, to half fish and now she shows a definite preference for the fish. I need to get things back in balance.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Ailish will sometimes go on a fish only strike, usually when I have just opened a can of chicken only. In order to not have to throw out the chicken I mix it with the fish and she eats it right down.

Unfortunately, I have gone from no fish, which was perfectly fine by her, to half fish and now she shows a definite preference for the fish. I need to get things back in balance.
I had same problem with my boy..But thank goodness hes back on track...:crossfingers:Hes on WELLNESS GRAIN FREE GRAVIES CHICKEN FLAVOR (BITS IN AMPLE GRAVY)JUST STARTED IN LAST COUPLE DAYS...N HES FORGOT ABOUT THE TUNA FLAVORED NUTRO PERFECT PORTIONS...NO MORE FISH FOR HIM..:petcat: