First Try Of Boneless Ground Rabbit

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had bought a 1 lb chub of boneless rabbit it was slightly frozen ( bought 1 lb of boneless just in case she gets constipated on whole rabbit grind). I went ahead and cut it and put into containers. I decided to give Juliette some to see if she would eat it. Yes, It's been driving me nuts all day. It's win. She finished the small morsel with a little bit of hot water dripped on it in 2 minutes.

I did it the really professional way. I had gotten some nice clearance plates with higher edges at TJ Maxx. I put the bit of rabbit on the plate and drizzled it with hot water. I put it on a plate next to her regular cat food. She looked at it funny. "Just try it, it's good!" :lol: She tasted it and finished the plate. Put the plate in the dishwasher and I got a cat that cried at me looking for where is the rest. Yeah!!! She'll try the whole grind rabbit tomorrow. She ate some soft but she seems to prefer the raw. :thumbsup:

Next will be the whole rabbit as soon as I can smoosh it. Fingers crossed. So far so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mixed last night. She's eating a little slowly. I need to change feeding time but it'll get figured out. Mixing took a while but that's me just beginning. I'll get it stream lined.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With practice I'm sure you'll figure it out. Huxley agreed to eat some canned rabbit food and he immediately puked it (first tike he puked since he came back from hosepital a few weeks ago). I guess the alergy tests were wrong: rabbit is a no-go!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With practice I'm sure you'll figure it out. Huxley agreed to eat some canned rabbit food and he immediately puked it (first tike he puked since he came back from hosepital a few weeks ago). I guess the alergy tests were wrong: rabbit is a no-go!
What kind of canned? Was he tested for peas? Many limited ingredient have peas.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's looking the raw so much she doesn't want her canned.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of canned? Was he tested for peas? Many limited ingredient have peas.
It's wild calling rabbit. It basically only have rabbit meat. He is allergic to peas and soy so he can have none of that.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please understand that this:

Rabbit, Water (Sufficient for Processing), Liver, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Thiamine Mononitrate [Source of Vitamin B1], Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Source of Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement [Source of Vitamin B2], Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide).

Is going to look and taste different to kitty than raw rabbit. I'm feeding natures instinct lid rabbit and she's getting sick of it. She's loving the raw.

Now as long as there is no butt explosions or psycho fur ripping we'll be doing great. Fingers crossed.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taste is not the problem. I think he is actually allergic to rabbit. For a while he was eating Royal Canin rabbit wet food ( the prescription kind which was recommended by my vet). His allergy symptoms gradually got worse, and I assumed that the problem was peas (that was confirmed with the allergy test). I never thought for a second that rabbit itself could be part of the problem as it was a novel protein, especially since the test came back negative for that. However, now that I think about it, the symptoms got gradually worse after he started eating rabbit. I was just focused on the peas. He would sneeze while eating it (really wet sneezes and sounded very sniffly) and puke very often right after eating it. These symptoms stopped right after I changed him to pork, but came right back the second I tried to feed him Wild Calling even if it has zero ingredients from his allergen list.
I know that he may not actually have a reaction to raw rabbit though, so maybe one day I will try that. For now, he is back on Precise Holistic flaked pork and Hill's Science sensitive stomach dry food. Since his symptoms seemed to finally improve a little after 3 weeks on the new food, the vet recommended I have him on that for at least 8-12 weeks (Starting from zero again since he had some rabbit in his system this weekend). She says if he still needs steroids and Zyrtec at the end of the 12 week period, then I can start raw.

Glad to hear your girl is doing well with the transition. That's great news!

Please understand that this:

Rabbit, Water (Sufficient for Processing), Liver, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Thiamine Mononitrate [Source of Vitamin B1], Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Source of Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement [Source of Vitamin B2], Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide).

Is going to look and taste different to kitty than raw rabbit. I'm feeding natures instinct lid rabbit and she's getting sick of it. She's loving the raw.

Now as long as there is no butt explosions or psycho fur ripping we'll be doing great. Fingers crossed.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sneezing while eating and stuffy is completely different. I would say allergy. Mine scratches. I can't really tell what from.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My only question is the brewers yeast, assuming I'm looking at the right label. Just making sure it's rabbit. Which it very well could be.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about that too, but the Royal Canin he was eating before did not have brewers yeast and he had the exact same reaction. The only common denominator is rabbit. I also checked the fillers and they don't match either.

My only question is the brewers yeast, assuming I'm looking at the right label. Just making sure it's rabbit. Which it very well could be.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use natures instinct rabbit lid. It has no brewers yeast. I would only try it on him if you can get one can locally. I understand this gets annoying and expensive. If you got your food from chewy call them and they should take it back (if you bought a case). Brewers yeast is controversial.

I found this. "Many cats are allergic to brewer's yeast. If your cat starts scratching or showing other signs of an allergic reaction, stop giving her not only the brewer's yeast but all yeast-containing products."
Brewer's Yeast for Cats | Cuteness.com

This one concerns me. Brewer's Yeast Allergy in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Are there any adverse effects of giving my cat a supplement containing Brewers yeast?

What are these people doing to our pets?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Immediate sneezing and stuffing up then puking is an even more severe allergy. What a nightmare.