First Time With Overgrown Claw Nail Clicking When Walking

jazee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had about 20 cats over the years, 16 were my parents growing up and the last 4 were solely mine. It was interesting that my Burmese actually seemed to like their paws touched and trimming their claws was piece of cake, no resistance whatsoever. My more skittish American Shorthair, he ain't having it so I just gave up. No issues for years as he always has a Sisal scratching post but frankly maybe that helps the claws from overgrowing but it doesn't de-sharpen them, when he kneads me, if I'm wearing thin clothing, OUCH! But I live with it. He's extremely muscular and strong to where the vet won't see him without a mild sedative.

Anyway to make a short story long... About a month ago I started hearing a click when we walked. He wasn't limping so I didn't think much of it but then thought, I've never heard this on any of my cats before. Well, looked at his paw and one claw hand crown and curled slight over his paw pad, not into it but over it so maybe he could feel a little awkward pressure but definitely wasn't causing pain to the point of limping but I knew I had to get it fixed.

Luckily I had a spare sedative pill that never got used so had to drug him. He still resisted pretty bad and at my age of 52 I need good lighting and a pair of reading glasses to make sure it doesn't clip his pad or clip too deep. Finally was successful. Interestingly, even though I cut it back as far as I cut other claws I can still see the very end of it whereas you have to press on his paw to see the ends of the other claws extend. So I fear having to trim this one claw is going to be a recurring necessity.

Maybe cutting it will resolve the issue. Just wanted to throw my story out there for what it's worth and hear from any others that had similar experiences and how things went from there long term? Just strange I never experienced this with any of my cats before over the past 40 years.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i pay vet to have graycie sedated for her nail trimming done. aside from getting hooked badly from her dew claws once they are long i dont want them to grow into her paws and then need surgery etc. to fix the issues

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With all my cats (12) that’s the worse chore, cutting their nails. I have a couple who resist a little but I’m able to do it but the rest is a nightmare. A couple of years ago I ended up having to take the oldest to the vet to check a nail. she has a lot of fur on her paws so its hard to see, well, I guess there was one nail I kept missing and it was almost growing into her flesh.But The vet was able to trim it otherwise it could have gotten infected. So now I’m very careful and make sure I get all the nails.
I wish there was an easy way, I’ve tried wrapping them in a towel…nope that didn’t work, in fact it was more awkward. I try to do one paw at a time while they’re laying down….sometimes works but cats always seem to know when somethings up.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im surprised at how many people trim their cats nails. Are some cats more prone to having their nails become ingrown? Could this problem develop with age if I don’t start trimming their nails? Our house is full of sisal and cardboard scratchers and if they are in the mood to knead us we just have throw blankets laying around to set on our lap. And honestly, unless my skin is completely bare, I don’t think the kneading is that uncomfortable.