First time vet visit for adopted, stress-prone cat

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I recently adopted my cat Wali. He's seven years old and blind.

His first vet visit is coming up on Monday. I'm anxious about it. Wali is very prone to stress (just like me, LOL).

He hates strangers and unfamiliar noises. Everytime he hears the neighbor's voice, he hides.

I'm so scared that this visit is going to be completely traumatic for him. I'm also worried about loading him into his carrier. He often naps on top of it, but he rarely goes inside. I've been putting treats in there this past week, but he darts in and out quickly.

Is there anything I can do to make this vet visit less traumatic for him (and me...)?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It's too late for this time but maybe next time consider an at-home vet visit, if there are vets doing at-home in your area? Also, check with your vet regarding any over-the-counter calming products they might recommend.

Additionally try cat music, for the visit and also for general help for him around the house. There's classical harp music, a complication of harp music called Cat In My Arms - spotify and youtube, there are other collections as well, and there is RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Try chamomile tea for yourself - anything you can do, including talking with your vet to ease your own stress will be so helpful for both of you :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
It's too late for this time but maybe next time consider an at-home vet visit, if there are vets doing at-home in your area? Also, check with your vet regarding any over-the-counter calming products they might recommend.

Additionally try cat music, for the visit and also for general help for him around the house. There's classical harp music, a complication of harp music called Cat In My Arms - spotify and youtube, there are other collections as well, and there is RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Try chamomile tea for yourself - anything you can do, including talking with your vet to ease your own stress will be so helpful for both of you :heartshape:
I actually did have an at-home vet visit for him the first week I adopted him, since our first official vet visit would be so long after his adoption. He was not happy with that at all :/

I love the Cat in My Arms playlist!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is no guarantee calming products will work, as every cat reacts differently. But, you could take some of that chamomile tea that Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested and share it with Wali. As long as it is the typical grocery store tea bags (no additives or flavorings) which are almost always German (no English), it has a soothing affect on cats internally, just like humans. 1-3 teaspoons for him (cooled), and the rest for you!

You could also try Feliway spray to use on his carrier - some cats respond well to that for a calming agent. Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you rub into a cat's ear has been known to be a good calming agent for cats that are headed off for a vet visit.

Feeby is a pretty relaxed cat, but playing music in the car seems to help a bit. Probably because it also relaxes me - I will whistle to it or just talk with her while it is playing.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It kinda tears you up, doesn’t it! Mine aren’t blind, but they’re coddled, indoor-only kitties who’ve always lived in a super quiet household with two older adults. We’ve never been big on visitors. So they’re scared of loud noises and everyone but us. I always put already-worn t-shirts in the carriers so my smell is in there, and I cover the carriers with a towel so they can’t see out. I realize that second thing wouldn’t help Wali with the “seeing” part, but I think the towel would at least muffle noises a bit. And I believe he could sense that he’s a bit more closed in and, thus, protected.

Does he like to be brushed? Lily is pretty awful when she’s being examined, but she loves to be brushed. So I take her brush and lightly brush her head and face when we’re in the exam room waiting for the horrible people to torment her. And depending on what part of her the vet is messing around with, I brush her while he’s examining her.

Of course now, with COVID precautions, I can’t go in with them anyway, but the vet tech told me last time I had to take Lily that she was very well behaved. It’s possible that I communicate my stress to her and she’s calmer when I’m not in there with her.

None of mine will ever touch treats while we’re there, so that doesn’t help us. Let’s see. What else. I have some Feliway spray (for calming), and I lightly spray the towel and t-shirt in the carrier 15 minutes or so before I put them in. I don’t know if it helps, but it doesn’t hurt.

Poor Wali. He’ll be scared, and you’ll feel bad, but it will be okay once you get him home and he feels safe again. :itslove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It kinda tears you up, doesn’t it! Mine aren’t blind, but they’re coddled, indoor-only kitties who’ve always lived in a super quiet household with two older adults. We’ve never been big on visitors. So they’re scared of loud noises and everyone but us. I always put already-worn t-shirts in the carriers so my smell is in there, and I cover the carriers with a towel so they can’t see out. I realize that second thing wouldn’t help Wali with the “seeing” part, but I think the towel would at least muffle noises a bit. And I believe he could sense that he’s a bit more closed in and, thus, protected.

Does he like to be brushed? Lily is pretty awful when she’s being examined, but she loves to be brushed. So I take her brush and lightly brush her head and face when we’re in the exam room waiting for the horrible people to torment her. And depending on what part of her the vet is messing around with, I brush her while he’s examining her.

Of course now, with COVID precautions, I can’t go in with them anyway, but the vet tech told me last time I had to take Lily that she was very well behaved. It’s possible that I communicate my stress to her and she’s calmer when I’m not in there with her.

None of mine will ever touch treats while we’re there, so that doesn’t help us. Let’s see. What else. I have some Feliway spray (for calming), and I lightly spray the towel and t-shirt in the carrier 15 minutes or so before I put them in. I don’t know if it helps, but it doesn’t hurt.

Poor Wali. He’ll be scared, and you’ll feel bad, but it will be okay once you get him home and he feels safe again. :itslove:
Oooh, Wali loves being brushed. I'll bring the brush then... Thanks for the advice! He has responded well to Feliway before, so I'll try that, and leave my pillowcase in the carrier...