First Time Taming 2 Ferals!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So there's Patches on her throne lol Graycie was playing a lot but she groomed a bunch and fell asleep. We're both home on Sunday so we're going to let her out then. I'm nervous about them having issues but, like you said, they should be able to work it out. I'm going to get Graycie her own "fun box" like the one Patches is laying on. Patches rubbed all over this box with her chin and body so I'm sure if Graycie tries to lay on it, Patches will get a little territorial. So I'll get Graycie her own. Ugh I'm nervous lol but they are both so much calmer than they day I brought them home so I think it should be good.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think.you may be worrying too much. Cats pick up on our anxiety and are affected by it and can become anxious themselves. What are you worried about? They are young sibling cats. They will likely snuggle together, play together, and sometimes horseplay and even pop each other in the head (just like human siblings, lol). Open the cage, give them some catnip, and have a glass of wine :)

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww lol I love your response =] You're right, I do worry too much lol. I think it's just because it's my first time doing this. But they always say you're the most nervous with your first child hahah. I do think they'll be fine. Even if they tussle for a minute, it'll probably just be because Patches is surprised to see her out of the cage. I'll check back in after I let her out this weekend! So excited! Thank you so much, guys!!

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here's my update! Wish it were a happier one, but every day will be a journey now lol. We let Graycie out of the cage during playtime Saturday night. The two played like best friends and then some. They were just so pleased to be able to reach out and swat each other. That was the one good night I had with them. Every night since then has been a game of them running to the opposite side of the apartment than where Paul and I are at that time. Patches will eat and use the litter box in front of us, but that's as far as the trust goes right now (remember she was the one outside the cage who I was playing with on a nightly basis, no problem.) Graycie won't even think about eating or using the box in front of us. In fact, if I get anywhere near her, even with a delicious bowl of food, she hisses :(. Last night I sat on the kitchen floor and threw a mouse attached to a shoelace for what felt like hours and they showed no interest. But, of course, every morning I wake up and the toys are all over the place so they are playing!! Just not with me lol I'm guessing (hoping) that in time, they'll come around. A lady I work with put it in a funny way to me yesterday. She said, in cat years, they're basically moody teenagers right now, but they'll realize who their family is sooner or later, and they'll love you like no other. So I'm looking at the big picture, and I'll let them trust me on their time. Any similar situations or tips you guys might have? This forum has been such a huge help for me and I thank everyone!! ♡

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the 4 I have play more with each other than me. If i get one alone it is different than together. I left the babies in the cage for over a week before they had alone time out. Now I leave them out but they have the cage. They now sleep in a box in Bob's changing table and hide but the one who was the most shy is almost tame. It's a process and all of them seem different. They just have to learn to trust u. It'll get there, just relax and have faith. They are soooo cute by the way!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've only had them for about 2 weeks, right? So they are out of the cage, and running around and playing with each other, and using the litter box. That sounds like good news to me. It takes time to bond with any new cats, and yours were feral. The last feral cat I took in was five months old and it was 4 months before I could even touch her. She bonded with my other cats much more quickly than with me. Now she is very loving and affectionate. It takes time. You might want to get a laser pointer toy, cats really can't resist playing with that. It sounds like you are making good progress.

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, of course, two weeks time is way too soon to be assuming they just don't like us lol and I'm in no way impatient. I'll give them as much time as they need. I just wanted to update the forum on what's been going on! I'm so happy they have each other though. I'm sure it's a super rough transition to go from absolutely no trust for humans to having to totally rely on them. To go through that alone must suck. So at least they have a support system in each other. You gotta see them when we open the bedroom door in the middle of the night.. Like deer in headlights all comfy on the couch playing with their toys. They are adorable!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful to watch kittens who were once totally feral acting like kittens, playing with toys, when prior to being adopted they had to constantly focus on survival. Your kitties are beginning to understand the joy of having a home and a pampered life.

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is very true!! And I love thinking of that when you put it that way. They really do enjoy the toys and the box I made for them. Everything is misplaced when I wake up lol. At least it'll get their endorphins going! I just daydream about the little barriers we're going to break along the way. I just love having them around and knowing they're snuggled with each other even if it's in between the sewing table and the wall haha. Just to know they're safe and not running from other animals and looking for food and water everyday makes me happy.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's a very good point. If u ever feel they aren't progressing think of where they were when they were captured and how much better life is even if u can't touch them. They are lucky to have u as not everyone is willing to take them in as u really never know the outcome of their behavior. Watching kitties play is the best too!

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys!! Been a little bit since I checked in. Graycie and Patches are doing great!! No pets yet, but it's still only a couple weeks with them so I'm not pushing or expecting any of that yet. They are, however, so much more comfortable in the apartment. They know their cozy spots, but they know we know where those spots are. So it's not really "hiding" then, that's just where they're comfy. And actually, they had two hiding spots, once upon a time, and now they only cuddle in one. I think the other hiding spot was actually a "hiding spot." Now they hang out on the side of the couch, which if you haven't guessed, is right next to us! And they're actually out and about a lot more too. They have no problem eating and using the box in front of us and when night time strikes, you better believe they're looking for that special shoe lace that I keep locked up all day lol. Sometimes while I'm throwing the shoe lace and Patches chases it and ends up right below me on the couch, I sneak a swipe on her back. She runs away immediately but doesn't go far because she wants me to keep playing. After I play with them, they get to wrestling with each other and it's the cutest thing you've ever seen! So you can tell when they've had enough playtime when curiosity strikes and they want to go sniff things. We let them roam for a bit then we shut the lights and go to bed and get this... every morning when we come out, they're both sprawled across the couch!! Such cuddle bugs, just wish they would sprawl out with us on the couch at the same time lol. I know we'll get there. Just the progress in a couple week's time is insane, and I'm thirsty for more!! We love these pretty girls so much, and I tell them that all the time. Oh! And I've read that if you catch eye contact with them and blink in a relaxed way at them and they blink back - good sign. Well Patches gives such a cute blink back every time now and it tugs on my heart strings like you couldn't even imagine ♡ I tell everyone about this forum and how happy I am to have such great advice and support!! I'll check back in, in a week or two!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are progressing well.

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok guys so the two kitties are doing great! Both out, comfy, relaxed, loving life. Here and there I can pet Graycie. With some treats, she'll come to me. Patches, on the other hand, any physical contact scares her. When she's eating, I'll try and sneak a pet from behind on her neck and she jumps like I just blew an airhorn. When I'm dragging a string close to me drawing her in, I try and sneak a pet and she jumps and runs away. I know it'll be on her own time, but is there any chance she'll ever want pets? She seems so comfortable just walking around and doing her own thing. Basically she just seems like she's already figured out her personality and she might not break past that. I've read things about wrapping them in a blanket and basically forcing snuggle time on them. That just seems kind of cruel because I already know she's going to freak out and that's the last thing I want her to feel. I won't rush either of them into anything they wouldn't want to do. But if there are certain treats or timeframes that maybe works better for them when it comes to getting them used to hands and possibly pets, I'm all ears!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I say pets as in giving affection lol I have no other pets at home.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news. Im so glad Gracie came around. As far as the other goes, I would say there are differing opinions to say the least. As I mentioned long ago in here the blanket thing was suggested to me however I do the same thing without it myself. (They are pretty small so fairly harmless) others would say let them do it on their own. I really think it is partially personal preference, and part kitty depending. As u know I have 4 from the same litter. 1 is doing absolutely wonderful, 2 are doing really good, and 1 is making very little progress. All have had the same treatment and are all at different places. I would say if u feel comfortable doing the blanket u can try but also remember that if they aren' caged u will have two obstacles as catching is first. I know it might sound mean but I would almost say cage her again and then work from there. She seems to know and like her place now so letting her out after some progress would be like her reward for being pet. I have read several approaches, so if one doesn't work just try another. Be careful to not do to much in a day though so u don' stress her out. Great job so far, and however u chose to go about it always remember even if it seems pushy or mean u gave them a warm home with lots of love and you are only trying to make it that much better for her. Good luck and keep updating on what u did and how it is going