First time seizures in 5yo cat

LindaE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well they keep coming. He had one Thursday night, and another today. Today it lasted the usual amount of time but this time he peed. I don't know if that's a sign its getting worse or if he just happened to have a full bladder. Do you guys think trying alternative treaments like CBD, Omega 3 oils, supplements, etc are even worth a shot? I have them being delivered in the next few days but honestly at this point I'm wondering if its even worth trying or if we should just go straight to real meds. I don't want to give him snake oil and lose valuable time he could be getting better on actual drugs. Any thoughts?
I can't advise anything on the oils and supplements, as I don't know anything about them. But I would definitely talk to your vet about possible meds. There are different types of seizure meds for cats. But I would contact the vet, as the seizures seem to be more frequent.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I keep forgetting to add that my cat Tiger who had seizures had a really hyper personality too. We called him "psycho kitty." I remember reading something about a possible link between personality and seizures, I thought it was interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meow918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys. I've left the vet a message, hopefully will hear back on her opinion soon. And yes he has an extremely hyper personality, we've always joked that he's out "tweaker cat" bc he just so tweaky and jumpy and crazy, all the time. The seizures seem to always happen when he's getting really excitable in that "hype" mode cats get in. Of course he could be getting in hype mode because a seizure is about to come, who knows which causes the other. I hope I'm not being annoying posting in here so much, I just don't have many people in my real life that care or to talk to about this. I appreciate all of your continued responses.

Susan Jeffries

SUES
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a vet so this could be rubbish info, but after Percy started taking the fortekor heart pills he didnt have any more seizures, and he was put on this medication due to the seizures, perhaps mention these tablets to the vet, its worth asking. Sues

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I've left the vet a message, hopefully will hear back on her opinion soon. And yes he has an extremely hyper personality, we've always joked that he's out "tweaker cat" bc he just so tweaky and jumpy and crazy, all the time. The seizures seem to always happen when he's getting really excitable in that "hype" mode cats get in. Of course he could be getting in hype mode because a seizure is about to come, who knows which causes the other. I hope I'm not being annoying posting in here so much, I just don't have many people in my real life that care or to talk to about this. I appreciate all of your continued responses.
Post away all you want! Not a problem. Yes chicken or the egg as to if hyped because of seizure or seizure when a certain level of hype-ness.
Let us know what the vet says!

LindaE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and I keep forgetting to add that my cat Tiger who had seizures had a really hyper personality too. We called him "psycho kitty." I remember reading something about a possible link between personality and seizures, I thought it was interesting.
That is very interesting because I too have a 'psycho' cat and she's the one (the kitty in my avatar) who had the seizures. She's very compulsive (she'll chew on anything) and very destructive. She's also a thief. Pens, hair clips, and one time even my phone, go missing and, to this day, I haven't found her stash. She'll walk off with anything she can carry. My other cat, Alex, is as calm as a cucumber and, most times, couldn't care less about the world around him. As long as he has food and a clean litter box, he's happy.

I'm going to have to look up something about personality and seizures in cats. Because if either of my cats have a "wig completely out" personality, it's Ally.

Not annoying at all. We love kitties and we're hoping for the best for yours.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
That is very interesting because I too have a 'psycho' cat and she's the one (the kitty in my avatar) who had the seizures. S
I tried to find where I read that in the past, but couldn't. But I know I read it :) !