First time Raw Fed - 3 of 4 kitty fails.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All!

So for years I've been reading about cooked diets and raw feeding. To be honest it does scare me. Raw for the obvious and cooked because I'm terrified I will do it wrong and they won't get what they need and I'll kill them. One of the main reasons to try this is that I have one cat that has allergies and is so picky it's beyond ridiculous and frustrating. I often have a difficult time getting the foods he will eat. One day I'm afraid I won't be able to get it - that happened once already. I was lucky I had a stash and then managed to get him one ONE other food.

A very nice pet store owner gave me a sample of Duck fare game raw from Big Country Raw. They are fairly local to me and that excites me.

So today, after 3 weeks of mentally prepping, I tired it. I have made the 1 pound meat into very small packages as at the moment I'm not interested in transitioning. I'm interested to see if they'll eat it. (I followed the direction to the letter on how to re-freeze so they can be portioned.) Side note: my mom was with me as I'm not great with raw meat so I'm having to learn. She even commented about how good and good quality the meat looked. That's high praise. So that helped me to feel better.

I took the small portion out, let it get to room temperature, and gave each of them a 1/2 a tablespoon to try.

Three of these cats were former ferals, the problem eater was indoors most of his life.

Results: All the cats but one of the ferals rejected it. Braveheart was looking at me like "More please". She was a big hunter outside even though she was well fed. All the others wouldn't even try it. *sigh*

Initial thoughts and questions:

In fairness I may not have left it out long enough to try properly due to me being afraid. How long is it safe to leave out?
They might not like Duck. (Charlie the problem eater does though.)
The cats like soupy food. I could add some water to it the next time I try? Make it a bit soupier?
Any ideas on how I can try other ways?

Keep in mind right now it's not about transitioning. I know when that happens I have other directions to use and supplements to add in some cases. Right now it's about trying to see if they'll actually eat it. :-)

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m not comfortable leaving my cats’ raw food out for more than 20 minutes. I float the container in warm water to speed up the process. For people, you can leave raw out much longer, but that’s because you’re going to cook it.

You could try putting a little of the food they do like on top of your sample. I’ve found that if I can get mine started, they’ll just continue on through and eat the stuff they previously walked away from. I also have an array of toppers I use.

For example, recently two or my three decided they no longer wanted chicken. Brats. So for a week or so, I sprinkled either crushed Dr. Elsey’s dry kibble or FortiFlora on top. They particularly love the Dr. Elsey’s which they get only as a treat. Now they’re back to eating the chicken with no problem.

I also add water and make the food semi soupy. Two or mine are elderly and the more water I can get in them, the better. And I figure it’s good for the younger one, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tobermory Tobermory . I'll aim for 20 minutes. Glad to know it's okay to add some water.

Raw meat freaks me out in so many ways, so this might be a good thing for all of us lol.

I warmed it this morning with a bit of hot water. Still no luck with the other three but it's early in the game. :-) I'll keep trying.

One of them I tried hiding it under food - Charlie - he's smart. Was a no go. Too smart.

Tomorrow it will be topper time.

I so understand brats. lol I always say it's a good thing we love them. :-D

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I should have added that none of mine are fans of either duck or rabbit. l rotate chicken, turkey (their favorite), and pork.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like mine are the same. Charlie is the only Chicken / Turkey issue. We think that is what caused his allergies. However, in saying that it's not like getting some chicken or turkey will break the bank for the others to try.

Also, it is always possible that Charlies allergies were somewhere in the formula of that cat food? I'm not opposed to trying it. If he starts to chew his legs raw again - I know it's the chicken 100%. It's certainly worth a try I would think. He used to like pork - not sure if he does now. As a kid he went though a stage where he wouldn't eat unless I put chopped cooked ham on his food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought raw at a pet store. My cats hated it. So I bought raw pork at whole foods grocery and one of my cats threw up her whole meal. Never done that before. Yes,it was slowly added to her commercial food. In summery,not all cats like it and some can't tolerate it

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Also, it is always possible that Charlies allergies were somewhere in the formula of that cat food?
If is SO difficult to figure out what a cat might be allergic to. It’s all trial and error and experimentation. My poor Lily scratches her neck constantly. I’ve tried everything without success. It must not be a food allergy but what it is is a mystery. :( I hope you have good luck with Charlie’s allergies!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought raw at a pet store. My cats hated it. So I bought raw pork at whole foods grocery and one of my cats threw up her whole meal. Never done that before. Yes,it was slowly added to her commercial food. In summery,not all cats like it and some can't tolerate it
I think raw is not for all cats.... or people trying to feed raw to cats IMHO. I imagine my luck is going to go the same way as yours, at least with most of them. Still going to try. This is a slow process not doubt and may fail.

If is SO difficult to figure out what a cat might be allergic to. It’s all trial and error and experimentation. My poor Lily scratches her neck constantly. I’ve tried everything without success. It must not be a food allergy but what it is is a mystery. :( I hope you have good luck with Charlie’s allergies!
So far he's been fine without any turkey or chicken. So I'd be risking a flair up. Problem is he will eat a total of 3 things. 1 dry and two wet. Only one wet he will eat consistently and it's the one often out of stock. The one he used eat before was discontinued. So with the one wet food he will eat without complaint always being out of stock - feeding him becomes so problematic should anything go wrong. Hence probably worth the risk to be able to add anything to his diet should things go sideways.

I agree, allergies are such a mystery and so frustrating.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so far the duck is an epic fail other than BH.. I'm happy she's eating though as she is having some issues with nausea and not eating. Bloodwork and urine just came back ok but she goes for an ultrasound Friday. Poor thing.

Today I'm on Rabbit and Pork. Fail all around so far.

There is another raw place local I found out about from my vet when BH was in on Monday called Iron Will. She's actually been to the facility. So there is another avenue with maybe different formulas I can look into. Researching them now. Both companies look decent.

Last edited: