First-time Pet Owner

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! My name is Ayo (ah-yo) and I just adopted Mila this past Saturday (aug 27). She actually had just turned 3 months on aug 23rd. I adopted her from a humane society adoption center but they had mentioned that she previously was in foster care? I’m not sure what’s going on with that situation. This is actually my first time owning a pet ever and I have many questions and concerns. I think I’m doing everything right but I’m not sure! Hopefully some of you experienced cat parents can help me out? Mila is very scared of me I believe. She’ll play around me but from a distance she wont come up and sniff me and if i come up to her or near she hisses. I think shes afraid of humans in general but I’m not certain. So far I’ve kept all her things in my bedroom because that’s what people have informed me to do. Her food/water and her litter are on opposing sides of the room and she uses both normally. She plays with all her toys. But it’s me who she doesn’t trust. Or it’s almost like she knows I won’t hurt her but she keeps her distance it’s interesting. Maybe I’m over analyzing lol. She started taking treats from my hand if I reach out and lie still. She’s only really nice to me after dinner so around the times of 8pm-1am. Then in the AM it’s a new process. I also typically try to play squirrel/bird videos during the day or if i think she’s really anxious I play relaxing cat music. How can I get her to trust me or let her know I love her. I try to slow blink at her idk if she understands especially because I wear glasses.
Here’s a picture of my little tortie baby.
8E6D593D-D255-4FBA-B3F5-46899392BA11.jpeg
87B4C2B7-C6EC-4608-B440-7745E75D43A8.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome! It just takes time, she's learning all about you :)
Be sure and feed her several times a day of wet food, her tummy isn't big enough yet to hold very much food, yet she needs a lot to fuel all the growth that's going on, until she's about a year old. Some dry kibble can help for snacks.
This may have some useful information;
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Talking to her from a distance works over time…she’ll get used to your voice and learn you’re not scary. Congratulations! What a sweet face!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome! It just takes time, she's learning all about you :)
Be sure and feed her several times a day of wet food, her tummy isn't big enough yet to hold very much food, yet she needs a lot to fuel all the growth that's going on, until she's about a year old. Some dry kibble can help for snacks.
This may have some useful information;
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
I’m weaning her off the Hill’s Diet dry kibble they were giving her i do about 1/6 cup of food 3 times a day and each meal is half wet purina and half dry kibble. she’s losing her baby teeth currently so i try to warm up the food a tiny bit and let the wet soak into the kibble and make eating easier on her. the warming also helps her smell the food from where she hides under the bed. She has a regular vet check up appointment early tomorrow morning and i’m worried about how i’m going to even get her in the carrier seeing as though she doesn’t let me approach her.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
e15e84c04a8490daa6cfd7a2792e8bbf.gif
Ayo and Mila, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
83b628873c7a2419b34230feadd8daf9.jpg
to both you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Mila from the shelter and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Mila is a sweetie! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here for her here in post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitties are up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Since you you are a new cat owner, do read the articles below to orientate yourself on taking care of a cat.

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has a regular vet check up appointment early tomorrow morning and i’m worried about how i’m going to even get her in the carrier seeing as though she doesn’t let me approach her.
How did things go?

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
How did things go?
I ended up just cancelling. I think we’re on the almost breaking threshold of her building trust with me and I didn’t want to jump back to day 1. I play on rescheduling for after the 7th because she is getting treated for roundworm and her last dose I’m supposed to give her on the 7th then schedule a follow up anyways. No need to have 2 vet visits so close anyways. I will need some advice on how to give her the syringe dose when the time comes in a few days since she won’t let me touch/hold her.

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Start with the suggestions for the carrier I posted above so that things are easier in the future.

🤔, I don't know, some suggest to wrap the cat in a towel but you may not want to do that?

Would there be a vet tech from your vets office who might be able to stop in and help?

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Start with the suggestions for the carrier I posted above so that things are easier in the future.

🤔, I don't know, some suggest to wrap the cat in a towel but you may not want to do that?

Would there be a vet tech from your vets office who might be able to stop in and help?
Hmm 🤔 Ill have to look into that after the holiday weekend is over

a.yomide

Mila’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Update: After about 3 weeks together mila has opened up to me tremendously! Yesterday was claw trim day and I had been sweating it for days… but she did sooo good she was purring and looking up at my for pets the whole time. I’m glad she’s so trusting of me. She’s still timid towards the outside, new people, and all sounds. Today I’ve started moving her things out of my room like her litter box, and cat tree.
Question for everyone - Should I leave the door open at night when I sleep? I’m not sure if it’s okay for her to roam unguided for so long throughout the apartment.
C4AB9DA7-AB32-4D25-BF6F-EE6E5596CBE4.jpeg
E68E9F24-90CD-4024-A9EA-0752626233E6.jpeg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
OH what a sweetie. She looks like a real cuddler. I think some of these questions are up to you and your comfort level. Personally, I LIKE having a cat sleep w/ me, it’s very comforting. (So for me, I’d keep the door open). If you are trying to make her be more independent from you, then just always take gradual steps when you do anything, as it takes awhile for a cat to get used to routine. Roaming wise, WHY NOT let the cat go everywhere? Again: are you trying to have a fur free area, or is there a heating duct or roof hole you think she might explore and get stuck in? I think as long as there is 100% nowhere she could get into and trapped, letting her roam is fine. I know tons of folks do clip their cat’s claws but I never have and since I got a cheap cardboard scratcher my Zorro never once has ripped anything he shouldn’t. She looks quite content in those photos, so I think you’re doing a good job.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi a.yomide!!! Welcome, im also new here and have found this place to be just lovely!! im also a first time pet/cat owner so i've come here for support advice and guidance. Welcome :woohoo: