First Time Mom Here

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
More pics please! Try for a close up of one or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today's weights:

Lilly - 500g (+10)
Knight - 480g (+5)
Bandit - 520g (+5)
Luna - 520g (+20)
Pepper - 440g (+30)

I forgot to get some new pictures. I will work on that during lunch :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
ADORABLE! So worth the wait!! The Pepper name confused me because I thought Pepper would be black. Thanks for the pics.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning's weights:

Lilly - 530g (+30)
Knight - 500g (+20)
Bandit - 540g (+20)
Luna - 545g (+25)
Pepper - 450g (+10)

Pepper has a a black back and then her face and legs are tabby looking with silver, brown and black. When she came out she reminded me of the spice pepper and she's a little fire cracker after she's eaten ;).

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you guys have any recommendations for how to weigh the kittens now that they are super active? I have weights but I'm not sure they are correct. I can't really keep all of the kitten on the scale at the same time. A foot or half a body is always falling off the scale. I have weights but they are +0 or +5 but I'm not sure that is correct. I feed everyone a little this morning before I went to work I had only planned on feed Pepper like normal so I didn't leave enough time to feed everyone. Everyone took to the syringe super easy so I don't know if that means they where just hungry or if they are big enough now that they can get the hang of it fast. I did put poster board up to keep them in the kiddy pool longer because Luna escaped sometime in the morning yesterday and was roaming the house at lunch time. I left holes for Rebel to get in and out but I don't know if the poster board is keeping her from going in? If so I will have to clean out the spare room and they can roam in there until they can get the hang of the litter pan.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use a bowl on the scale to put the kittens in. Weigh the bowl, then zero out the scale. Then weigh the kittens in the bowl and subtract the weight of the bowl.

It sounds like they are hungry and need the extra from supplementing.

Yes, it's time they have the spare room to play and live in now, with their food, water, and litter in there with them.

:)

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do. Getting the spare room will be lunches project in between feeding them. :) Thanks for the advice.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have todays weights but I'm not sure if I trust the gains from yesterday but I'll add them for you guys to see :)

Lilly - 590g (+35)
Knight - 600g (+40)
Bandit - 600g (+30)
Luna - 600g (+15)
Pepper - 520g (+40)

In addition to Pepper I supplemented Knight mostly he took a full syringe a few times yesterday but the rest would only take about a quarter to a half so it's not like they got a lot extra. I think it might have been a combination of mom not liking the poster board in the pool and the space running small with her in there with them. She seemed to stay in the room more after I got it all set up last night.

Also Pepper is really starting to gnaw at the syringe. Does that mean it's time to start putting transitioning her to a formula/kitten food mix? She is also using the litter pan :):) Hopefully the rest will take a hint and learn from her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gnawing at the syringe usually means the kitten is cutting its milk (baby) teeth.

They will be 5 weeks old this Saturday, so the timing is about right to begin weaning. You can try a mix of formula and kitten food any day now. :)

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today's weights:

Lilly - 610g (+20)
Knight - 625g (+25)
Bandit - 635g (+30)
Luna - 660g (+25)
Pepper - 535g (+15)

They are starting to use the litter box on their own :):) and playing like crazy.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how do I help Rebel dry up while the kittens are starting to nurse less and eat the cat food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The less they nurse the less she will produce. The drying up usually happens naturally over a period of a few weeks. If you have concerns over mom being uncomfortable, a warm, damp compress will help ease swelling.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know. I want to make sure I stay on alert for mastitis. I'm not sure how common it is but it sounds super painful.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought you guys might light some updated pictures :)

Knight & Lilly LLilly
knight.lilly.jpg lilly.JPG
Lilly Luna
lilly2.JPG luna.jpg
Pepper
pepper.jpg