Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone had a pretty big day yesterday

Lilly - 375g (+15)
Knight - 365g (+25)
Bandit - 390g (+15)
Luna - 390g (+25)
Pepper - 325g (+15)

Everyone seems to be getting around really good :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Photos please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilly - 390g (+15)
Knight - 325g (+20)
Bandit - 410g (+20)
Luna - 405g (+15)
Pepper - 335g (+10)

I was wondering if there is any way to tell if the kittens will be short or long haired.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights are great!

That little tuxedo kitten is precious!

They look either short or medium-haired to me! :lovecat2:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
So cute! Get that camera down in that bin & click away.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilly - 410 (+20)
Knight - 390g (+5)
Bandit - 430g (+20)
Luna - 420g (+15)
Pepper - 340g (+5)

I think I interrupted Knight and Peppers breakfast they where eating when I started weighing the others and miss Rebel did not care for that and got up. Hopefully she will lay back down now that I'm at work and they can finish.

I was also wondering about the weaning process. I have read that it should start next week but do I just set a saucer in the bin with them to explore. I'm assuming the first week is just to get them use to the stuff and not really rely on that to much. I would really like to try and get Pepper used to the normal kitten food to help her gain weight. I think she's just going to be small because she still get's in there when she is hungry and rough houses with the bigger ones.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are only 3 weeks old this weekend, right? They are too young to wean yet.

Kittens wean best around 5 weeks old.

Weigh Pepper and Knight again tonight to see if they've gained more. If not, you may want to supplement them.

When you do start weaning, and they are welcome to try anytime, offer pate-style wet food.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sat:
Lilly - 425 (+15)
Knight - 395g (+5)
Bandit - 440g (+10)
Luna - 440g (+20)
Pepper - 345 (+5)

Sun:
Lilly - 444 (+15)
Knight - 425g (+30)
Bandit - 455g (+15)
Luna - 460g (+20)
Pepper - 375 (+30)

Weight gains from yesterday:
Lilly - 455 (+15)
Knight - 430g (+5)
Bandit - 465g (+10)
Luna - 470g (+10)
Pepper - 385 (+10)

I started supplementing Pepper on Saturday after a call to the vet. They didn't seem worried since she was still playing with everyone else. I think she is just so much smaller that she is having a hard time getting in there and only gets what's leftover. Luckily by Sunday she was cool with eating out of a syringe. I have been giving her 4 tbsp of the KMR can milk replacement in 1 tbsp increments spaced about 4 hours apart. Can that be increased slightly to help her put on weight faster? She is also eating from mom and I try to make sure she gets in there when it looks like someone else is done. I was wondering can the milk replacement be frozen? I saw on the label it said not to freeze in the original container but I didn't know if that was just because it might burst or if it was because the milk replacement would be any good after it's put in the freezer. I swear Rebel would eat right out of that kittens mouth if she could to get to the replacement she really likes that stuff. I was mixing some in her food because it's only good for 3 days and I wanted to use as much as I could.

They where also upgraded to bigger space yesterday. They where about to get out of the bin they where in so I thought it was time for some more leg room. Rebel wasn.t real sure about it at first but she has warmed up to the space I think. It also gives her a lot more room to lay down with them.

Attachments

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also will be traveling to my parent's house for the weekend and was wondering how I should transport them? I wasn't sure if I should put them all in a carrier with Rebel or put all the kittens in one and Rebel in another? It's about an hour away.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try freezing it in another container, but I'm not sure if it separates in the freezer. Buy the powdered next time. It keeps beautifully in the freezer.

Supplement Pepper with as much as she will drink!

I love the pool!

I would put mom and babies together in the carrier. Be prepared for poop or vomit in it if anyone gets car sick. Some cats do.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be a silly question but how do I know when she is done and full?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most kittens will turn their heads away. There is also a common sense limit based on how much she's been eating and gaining - kind of "use your own judgement" so she doesn't eat herself sick.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This mornings weights:

Lilly - 455 (+0)
Knight - 465g (+35)
Bandit - 490g (+25)
Luna - 480g (+10)
Pepper - 400 (+15)

Pepper finally broke 400 :):) I fed Lilly a little this morning but he was more interested in rough housing with his brothers and sisters. I'll try again during lunch and weigh him again to see if he has put anything on. He ate when Rebel laid down so I don't know if he just wasn't interested in eating a bunch yesterday or what.

Also the KMR stuff did ok in the freezer. I'm pleased that I didn't have to waste the unused part.

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What should I use for a kitten litter box? I was looking at Walmart and they all look way to tall for them to get in and out of. I believe they are starting to go on their own. I saw some remnants on someone's bottom. I put a baking tin in there now with some non clumping litter.

Also Lilly gained 15g so he must have just not been interested in food yesterday :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use aluminum disposable cake pans from the dollar store until the kittens get bigger.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens tend to tell you when they are ready to be weaned ..... by being interested in food :) 5 weeks sounds about right. On a side note your kittens may start trying out real food days or a week apart. Your biggest oldest kittens will do everything first then the youngest/runt. Don't panic, just think of them as a 3 day premie ;)

treehouse55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This mornings weights:

Lilly - 490g (+35)
Knight - 475g (+10)
Bandit - 515g (+25)
Luna - 500g (+20)
Pepper - 410g (+10)

Good to know about weaning. I would have worried if they all didn't get it about the same time. Knight finally found his legs last night :) He was running around crazy person.