First Time Kitty Owner

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long time cat lover, first time cat owner. Adopted a cat about a week ago. The shelter gave me Hills urinary care as she had a UTI after being transferred from multiple shelters. They thought it was gone but I’ll take her to the vet soon to make sure.
Question is a novice one...
How much do I feed this lovely girl? I went with the recommended 3/4c and 1 small can of food split into three meals a day. I bought a slow feeder because she was eating it rather fast. Even spaced out she begs for food. Sometimes at 3am. I don’t cave but I figure I need to check with some cat people and find out what’s ok to give her.

The shelter said she came into the first shelter weighing 16lb. She was 9lb when I picked her up. Health is otherwise good though I may ask vet about thyroid, just to be thorough. She probably is appropriately sized at 9-10lb.

Shelter told me she’s 2yr old. I don’t know what normal cat activity levels are. She mostly just follows me around and cuddles, sleeps and cuddles more. She has a spurt of energy between 2-6am and chases tail, plays, runs, jumps, attacks her toys. But most of the day is relaxed.

Thoughts/opinions on feeding? Is what I’m giving her enough? Too much?

if the vet clears her of UTI, what’s a good food to try?

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much food the cat needs depends on the calories in the food you are feeding and how active your cat is. Different food has different amounts of calories so you can't really go by how many cups or cans, these articles explain it a bit.

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
How To Compare Cat Foods & Calculate Carbs: Dry Matter Basis
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

If you can I would switch to all wet food, (I know it's not possible for everyone, myself included) it's better for cats since they don't tend to drink enough water on their own. It can be especially important for a cat that has a history of UTIs to get enough water intake. Also kibble is full of carbs and fillers that cats don't need. Some people feed wet food meals, and then leave out a small amount of kibble over night for snacking.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never go by what the food manufacturer says, they want you to feed your cats more. 15-20 calories per pound of cat per day is generally accepted for indoor cats. The only way to be sure of what your cat needs is to weigh them often. I give my 9.5 lb very active cat 200 calories a day, and she has maintained her weight for the last 3 years. I am of the opinion any wet food is better than the best dry, especially if your cat already has had urinary problems

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Food is an interesting subject - everyone has different ideas. I feed only wet food (Olive threw up a lot if you mixed wet and dry). We feed Rawz pate, Caru, Fromm, and Lifes Abundance. We chose these based on no grains, peas, potatoes and few fillers.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you taken your cat for her first visit with your veterinarian following her adoption? If not, I highly recommend bringing up the topic with them. Make sure you know which food brand/type you plan to keep your pet on so they can find the daily kcal amount for your fur baby based on their weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her first vet visit is Monday (about a week after I brought her home). I have a list of questions forming.

Thanks everyone for the info. Helpful.

I have noticed she wasn’t drinking water. I bought a kitty fountain and she uses it quite a bit so I feel better she is getting water. May also do a wet food primarily with kibble as snack routine once I find a food brand.

I have been feeding her about 350 cal which may be too much. Based it off an article I read. I’ll keep tabs on her weight and decrease the amount a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food is an interesting subject - everyone has different ideas. I feed only wet food (Olive threw up a lot if you mixed wet and dry). We feed Rawz pate, Caru, Fromm, and Lifes Abundance. We chose these based on no grains, peas, potatoes and few fillers.
I switched her to Rawz Pate with occasional kibble snack. Not only does she love it but her coat has completely changed. It’s so soft, shiny, fluffy and more dense.

Attachments

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the coat change is always so crazy. Gohan has always been super healthy but when we changed him to wet food his coat also became super luxourious! Glad you found something that worked!