First time kitten owner... scared! Food and drink

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F firehawk

While feeding dry food to cats is very common, it seems to me that nearly all of the myriad of illnesses and health conditions that are all-too-common in felines are strongly linked to two things: chronic dehydration and excessive consumption of carbohydrates (in a species that are obligate carnivores).

Few cats will drink enough water to compensate for the dehydrating effects of dry food. Cats evolved as desert animals to have their water needs met by eating moisture-rich prey, and not from drinking standing water.

Chronic dehydration is strongly correlated with developing UTIs, urinary blockages, and developing chronic kidney disease, to name only a few issues.

Eating carbs is linked to obesity, diabetes, and dental issues (again to name only a few issues).

Although feeding dry food can seem more attractive economically, one serious health issue (which are not rare) can easily wipe out any "savings" due to serious veterinary bills.

My preference is to feed cats what they were shaped by nature to thrive on, and to askew food-types that are not species appropriate.

If you dare (as it is a depressing read for someone who is new to cat ownership) review the backpages of this forum's "Cat Health" section). Then consider how many common health issues link back to issues with chronic dehydration and the consumption of carbohydrates.

There are far healthier options. I hope you don't mind some straight-talk.

Best,

Bill

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Box of Rain Box of Rain - I appreciate and welcome the "straight talk". It's why I want to learn and get things right from the get-go and at this early stage.
The upside is that you are in for a lot of fun.

Cats are cool.

Kudos for asking the right questions and seeking to do things the right way.

As with the feeding of most animals, following "nature" is always the best path in my estimation.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While there is differing opinions on feeding options on thecatsite (and probably any cat website), everyone here has a cat's best interest in mind.

You're going to find that there are those as set on "all cats on raw diet" as there is people who think all people should be eating the Paleo diet.

That's really a decision based for your own family. Time is a factor of you make it. Accessibility is a factor (especially if you live somewhere with frequent hydro outages or storms).

The more frequent recalls on human grade meat for diseases is also an issue and how prominent it is in your area is a factor that causes many to steer from doing this.

Anyway, my bias is obvious. I don't agree with raw and believe it to be too risky. I haven't seen any longitudinal studies to show it increases a cat's lifespan or lowers their risk of disease or comorbidities. But I have heard many horror stories.

Cats are the only domestic animal we have extended the lifespan of. Indoor cats have gone from a 10.yr avg lifespan to 15 to 20 for many and some even up to 25 or 30. Commercial foods have played a role in that and most have recently adapted to new research on what ingredients are causing harm. As long as it's not a fully dry diet, you're likely to be good.

IF you do decide to do raw, please go over to the forums on it to learn more. It must be done properly or you risk your cat having nutritional deficiencies.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While there is differing opinions on feeding options on thecatsite (and probably any cat website), everyone here has a cat's best interest in mind.

You're going to find that there are those as set on "all cats on raw diet" as there is people who think all people should be eating the Paleo diet.

That's really a decision based for your own family. Time is a factor of you make it. Accessibility is a factor (especially if you live somewhere with frequent hydro outages or storms).

The more frequent recalls on human grade meat for diseases is also an issue and how prominent it is in your area is a factor that causes many to steer from doing this.

Anyway, my bias is obvious. I don't agree with raw and believe it to be too risky. I haven't seen any longitudinal studies to show it increases a cat's lifespan or lowers their risk of disease or comorbidities. But I have heard many horror stories.

Cats are the only domestic animal we have extended the lifespan of. Indoor cats have gone from a 10.yr avg lifespan to 15 to 20 for many and some even up to 25 or 30. Commercial foods have played a role in that and most have recently adapted to new research on what ingredients are causing harm. As long as it's not a fully dry diet, you're likely to be good.

IF you do decide to do raw, please go over to the forums on it to learn more. It must be done properly or you risk your cat having nutritional deficiencies.
Cats are actually not the only domestic species whose lifespan whose been extended by domestication. That's true of virtually all domesticated animals and pets.

Dogs lifespans have doubled.

This is not due to feeding animals species-inappropriate food, but rather from providing shelter, reducing risks of predation and injury, access to constant food and water, tending to their medical needs with first-class veterinary care, and other animal examples of good animal husbandry.

Feeding a diet that promotes dehydration is risky with cats. Most common cat illnesses and negative health conditions are linked to dehydration.

Most of the rest of common cat illnesses and negative health conditions are linked to feeding carbohydrates.

Every scientific authority tells us that cats are obligate carnivores. Their needs are very different than those of human beings.

Cats have no essential needs to eat carbohydrates, and there are many downsides if they do.

And the negative effects of chronic dehydration are undeniable.

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Box of Rain Box of Rain Hi Bill and best regards!

I definitely agree that chronic dehydration is a cause of many cat issues and illness and is very dangerous. I do not recommend a fully dry diet for this reason (I encourage as much wet as possible). Nor do I argue on them being obligate carnivores and needing a diet of meat. (I will stand corrected on the dogs. It's up 1% as of 2004)

However, we already see many people on here and in life with emergencies due to the subtle nature of cat illnesses and not knowing the signs to watch for. Doubley so with new cat owners. The affordability and availability of a vet who knows cats aside, I just can't agree with a raw or homemade diet for the bulk of owners. Then we add in that cats are chronically under-vetted, and it's a recipe for disaster for many cats.

There's also many cats who do not do well on those high protein diets (some do amazing on them!). Some have chronic constipation or issues with their kidneys. Even on this site we hear cats on all ends of the food spectrum in perfect health and all ends of the spectrum with chronic issues.

Cats, like humans, are individuals with different genetics and different cats do well on different diets. I believe this to be why we still have so many debates within the cat community, even among vets and experts!

Most importantly is yearly checkups and bloodwork to catch things as they pop up.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Box of Rain Box of Rain Hi Bill and best regards!

I definitely agree that chronic dehydration is a cause of many cat issues and illness and is very dangerous. I do not recommend a fully dry diet for this reason (I encourage as much wet as possible). Nor do I argue on them being obligate carnivores and needing a diet of meat. (I will stand corrected on the dogs. It's up 1% as of 2004)

However, we already see many people on here and in life with emergencies due to the subtle nature of cat illnesses and not knowing the signs to watch for. Doubley so with new cat owners. The affordability and availability of a vet who knows cats aside, I just can't agree with a raw or homemade diet for the bulk of owners. Then we add in that cats are chronically under-vetted, and it's a recipe for disaster for many cats.

There's also many cats who do not do well on those high protein diets (some do amazing on them!). Some have chronic constipation or issues with their kidneys. Even on this site we hear cats on all ends of the food spectrum in perfect health and all ends of the spectrum with chronic issues.

Cats, like humans, are individuals with different genetics and different cats do well on different diets. I believe this to be why we still have so many debates within the cat community, even among vets and experts!

Most importantly is yearly checkups and bloodwork to catch things as they pop up.
Hi Alldara, while I do feed a PMR-style diet myself, I didn't suggest raw feeding in this thread.

Rather, I suggested to a new cat owner that there are serious health risks that are associated with dry food due to chronic dehydration and carb-related obesity and diabetes.

The costs of treating blockages, UTIs, chronic kidney disease, extracting teeth, etc. can be catastrophic. To my mind all the highly-prevalent health problems with cats seem to have a dietary relationship.

It is only "anecdotal," but my wife and I adopted Desmond only a few weeks before her sister adopted "Delilah." Where Desmond has been provided a diet suitable for an obligate carnivore--and is in fantastic health and condition, Delilah has mainly eaten dry food.

For us, Delilah's condition is heartbreaking. She's obese, has had multiple UTIs, is obviously dehydrated, and is now showing signs of early-stage kidney disease. And--from what I'm told--her vet says her weight is "fine." Delilah is less than a year-and-a-half old. Her condition makes us very sad.

Bill

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Alldara, while I do feed a PMR-style diet myself, I didn't suggest raw feeding in this thread.

Rather, I suggested to a new cat owner that there are serious health risks that are associated with dry food due to chronic dehydration and carb-related obesity and diabetes.

The costs of treating blockages, UTIs, chronic kidney disease, extracting teeth, etc. can be catastrophic. To my mind all the highly-prevalent health problems with cats seem to have a dietary relationship.

It is only "anecdotal," but my wife and I adopted Desmond only a few weeks before her sister adopted "Delilah." Where Desmond has been provided a diet suitable for an obligate carnivore--and is in fantastic health and condition, Delilah has mainly eaten dry food.

For us, Delilah's condition is heartbreaking. She's obese, has had multiple UTIs, is obviously dehydrated, and is now showing signs of early-stage kidney disease. And--from what I'm told--her vet says her weight is "fine." Delilah is less than a year-and-a-half old. Her condition makes us very sad.

Bill
I understand Bill❣ thanks for making more explanation.

There is certainly a dietary component to many health conditions. Just like with humans, genetics and environment (inc diet) play a huge factor.

For example, stomachitis which leads to teeth removal and issues has been found to have some sort of genetic link and can run through cat colonies. It happens in cats of all diets and cannot be solved through diet alone (though allergies can play a part!).

Magnus and his twin are a good example of genetics. His twin (by looks, could be brother) doesn't have allergies, a heart murmur or teeth issues. They were both fed the same food until 8 months old when Magnus's issues developed.

On the contrary, Nobel and his siblings all had health issues. Bad genetics certainly played a roll, food too like you mentioned above, before we learned better. He's the last left alive and it's certainly the yearly visits and preventative care that's the difference.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand Bill❣ thanks for making more explanation.

There is certainly a dietary component to many health conditions. Just like with humans, genetics and environment (inc diet) play a huge factor.

For example, stomachitis which leads to teeth removal and issues has been found to have some sort of genetic link and can run through cat colonies. It happens in cats of all diets and cannot be solved through diet alone (though allergies can play a part!).

Magnus and his twin are a good example of genetics. His twin (by looks, could be brother) doesn't have allergies, a heart murmur or teeth issues. They were both fed the same food until 8 months old when Magnus's issues developed.

On the contrary, Nobel and his siblings all had health issues. Bad genetics certainly played a roll, food too like you mentioned above, before we learned better. He's the last left alive and it's certainly the yearly visits and preventative care that's the difference.
I have no doubt that some feline illnesses (as with humans) have genetic components.

Those are things we can't control ex post facto, but we can control what we feed our cats (and our children) in the hope of giving them the best life opportunities.

I'm convinced that cats do best eating moisture-rich foods that provide balanced nutrition and minimize (or---better--entirely eliminate) carbohydrates. Cats, as obligate carnivores, have no essential need for carbohydrates in their diet.

It is all about doing one's best to provide our well-loved companions with their best shot in life. We all want that.

Bill

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F firehawk , a little tip I learned from my vet just recently about encouraging cats to drink water: If possible, leave some distance between the food bowl and the water bowl. (The idea is that big cats in the wild won’t drink water from a stream that their food source is in or near, because it would be contaminated by the dead animal.)

I tried it with my 15-year-old cat who eats only wet food and has always ignored her water bowl, and it worked!