First time in 21 years I'll not go to my job

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that I have a LOT of company out there since I was laid off Friday, I knew it was only a matter of time that it would happen but I still feel so strange about it, it will be the first time in 21 years I'll not be going to work and I have flashbacks to a point to May of 1998 when I was laid off but permanently because the place closed, this is different, it's because of this plague, and when it finally dies down I will be one of the first called back as I was one of the last let go, but I at times have trouble dealing with this mentally. My wife and some others say "I wouldn't mind it, I have lots to do around the house", but for some reason it bothers me. I have some things to do, sure, and I know we will be called back, just don't know exactly when, but we will. I think I also have it on the back of my mind "I hope we don't catch this virus" so that doesn't help.

I'm sure things will be alright, and I'll adjust, but right now I'm a bit "unsettled" in my head, it's the uncertainty that is getting to me!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This too will pass. You are right though, the uncertainty about when it will pass does cause stress. If we had some idea of when it would be much easier. From what I understand extra money was put into unemployment so most people will receive 100% of what they were making while working. You are one of many which means it will probably take longer to process then normal, again the not knowing when.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sympathies for this unpredictable period of time but I'm glad to hear you will be one of the first called back to work. Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I was laid off two weeks ago, and it's just a weird, unsettled feeling. But I was on my way to total burnout...actually, I was already there...but I was raised where you do what you have to do and keep moving forward. So this lay off, as unfortunate as the circumstances are for everyone, is at a perfect time for me. I have never not worked since I was 14 years old, I've never been on unemployment, never had kids, so no mat leave, never been injured to where I could not work...It's weird.
I had that unsettled feeling about a week and a half into my not working, when it all finally hit me. I have a feeling, I'll be out till June...but that's just speculation of course. But telling myself that I won't be going back until at least June, does ease the mind a bit. If it goes on longer than fine, if I can go back earlier, great. But rather than dwelling all spring, going week be week, hoping to "get back to normal" soon, I just resolved in my mind that it will be summer, so now I enjoy what I can from all this.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
les26 les26 sorry to hear.

At least you'll be able to stay home.

My house is full of things to do, and, yeah, it feels doggone funny not being able to go anywhere.

Handy Helper is taking the time to redo the plumbing.

Make the best of it!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I understand. I retired in December and the first day was strange. I didn't have to get up for work, I could do what I wanted. It just wasn't normal. I know that your situation is really different than mine, but I do understand where you're coming from. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU all for your replies! Today was my first day as an unemployed "bum" lol so I spent some of the morning on "ignore" (what I call being on hold on the phone!) because I had to make some changes via computer to my unemployment claim and wanted to make sure that it was correct, don't need any problems with that yet so I called them, then I decided (with some suggestions from Deb!) to start to clean out the upstairs of our detached garage, we have lived here for 31 years yet there is stuff in there from many owners ago, why they didn't take it and why we didn't get rid of it earlier mystifies me but I thought now I have the time to do it so I started, was climbing up and down the rickety old pull down ladder and noticed that I had a tough time getting air and was sweating a bit and of course that little voice in my head was wondering if I had a touch of the "plague" but I noticed that I was mouth breathing, my nose was so jammed with congestion and I remember in the past I have been like this with shoveling snow and riding the exercise bike but about 10 minutes into it I clear up, even talked to my doctor about it years ago and he said "shoveling snow is probably the best stress test you can do" and said if I was fine after that it most likely is allergies/weather and that's what this must be too as after about 10-15 minutes or so I felt better just like before, and last night I rode the exercise bike for 17 minutes and had no issues, so it must be allergy/weather as I have no fever and feel okay otherwise, and if we didn't have this plague going around I wouldn't give it much thought but this thing has everyone half nuts wondering if they have it when they have issues?

And last night I was feeling very strange knowing I didn't have to get up to go to work, feeling down until she said "you work all the time, you hardly take days off, you deserve this time just enjoy it, do what you want to do, well within reason" as I really can't go many places, but that made me feel better about things as did your comments so thanks again!

It'll probably get to the point when I finally am called back that I'll have to train myself to get back into the routine of going to bed on time and getting up on time, I'm trying to maintain that but it's easy not to and the extra sleep in the morning is oh so nice and needed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning a boss from work called and said "I have a proposition for you". Turns out there is a project that is about a week's worth of work, they originally said I could come in next Monday and work the week but called me back this morning and said "you can come in earlier if you want, like tomorrow, or even today if you want to?". I was there in a little over an hour!

My answer for both next week and today was simply "I'm there"....so I went in and worked 7 hours today and will do 8 the next two days and whatever they need from me next week. I told them "I really appreciate this" as it improved my mental state immensely and immediately! Also reinforced that I would one of the first ones called back. I'll take it, gets me out of the house away from watching and listening to all this "doom and gloom" that we are getting bombarded with!