First Time Foster Feral

CatswithDee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm only a few days away from potentially fostering a feral male, and I wanted to gather some advice from some of the more experienced feral fosters/adoptees out there.

He's a younger neutered male- extreme arthritis so unfortunately regular handling has to be initiated to give medication, and socialization is kind of his only hope. I am a student living in an apartment, and I could place him either in my rather large walk-in closet that is barely used and would be his safe space, a teeny bathroom, or just give him access to my whole room. I could prepare the whole room to let him roam, but I figured he would want to adjust to a smaller space first. He would always have access to the closet as a safe space. I would be provided with a feral cat den, cat gloves to handle him, and food to try and get him to eat (he isn't doing well in shelter and is losing weight). That being said- should I shoot for a typical feral cat den set-up? Adjust him to the closet? Shoot for trying to introduce him to the whole room sooner rather than later? Unfortunately I would have to be in it some of the time.
The shelter set-up is not working for him right now, and he has a deadline of 5 days, at which the end of I would be taking him in. He won't eat because of stress, pain, and discomfort, so I'm sure the confined space adds to that. Transferring him here to another wire dog kennel probably wouldn't help out much, but I know that's what's recommended.

I plan to get him on a schedule of feeding (the shelter is going to provide me with lots of tantalizing options), medication, and human interaction as consistency and association is key in felines. I'm a veterinary assistant and I'm not uncomfortable with administering medications or handling ferals by any means- cats climbing the walls is my favorite :p I figured I would capture, cat burrito, and pill pop. The veterinary staff is also going to show me their routine with him, but if you guys have any other methods I'd be open to expanding my knowledge.

Is there a balance or any way possible of trying good association while also trying to calmly handle and medicate him? He doesn't seem directly aggressive, he's just terrified.

It may be too early to ask for input as the cat isn't necessarily in my care yet, but I figured I'd get started sooner rather than later so I can go get any necessary extra supplies.

Any comments or helpful advice?

I appreciate you guys! I'm lucky I found this forum.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An IR heating lamp is good for arthritis. Ir warmth goes nicely extra deep into the tissues. And cats love warmth so this could be a double advantage.

Raw goats milk is always healthy, and useful supplement here too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for helping this cat. My only experience of cats is with ferals, former ferals, and strays, so I have been in this position many time. You have a lot of experience that you have garnered from your profession and also the support of the rescue group.

I have only put kittens in the wire dog cage and then only if they needed to be isolated outside on my back patio because of possible illness or not yet having gotten a clearance from the vet. Cats who come inside do not use it, but that is not you say that you can't draw your own conclusions. Usually giving a cat like this boy his own space, but a contained space, is best. I would not go with the entire apartment or room in general at first as he will probably pick a hiding place and hunker down. I have often used a bathroom for rescues. but you have indicated that the closet is bigger. Is it dark though, or is there a window or source of light? If you use your bedroom, try to block the hidey holes that he could use, such as under the bed or in an inaccessible corner. I looked at pics of feral cat dens and most seem like a box which is not going to be ideal for socializing him in the long run. Most reminded me of the large plastic storage containers that I have around my back property for the ferals in winter.

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Pills and cats

Many members use the bisques and stews that are on the market, seemingly made by every company, Gerber's stage two meat baby foods, tiny bits of butter, etc. You will be receiving the medications from the rescue, but they could compound them into a gel or other palatable form if they were able. Many here use Wedgewood Pharmacy.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Please let us know how this all develops!