First Time Feeding Stray/feral

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I've been on this site for a little while for my own three cats, but this is my first time posting in the Feral/Stray section. When we first moved in this house, I didn't know we even had cats wandering around, but we've seen one lurking in the area. Well, I've only seen him once. I've been trying to figure out his schedule since, but to no avail. My mom has seen him a few times though not very often. At this point, I'm not sure if he's a semi-feral or a stray or what. He's shown no interest in approaching us and he normally walks away, but he doesn't immediately dart off or anything either. The only time I've seen him he seemed a bit curious, but also wary. However, I'm not sure how much of that was aimed at me or the dog. I've named him Jax though and he's a red tabby.

Anyway, I'm searching for a way to get him neutered for free. I've gotten a list of organizations and people from Alley Cat Allies; it's just a matter of contacting them now. But I've also decided that, if he really is a homeless cat, I'd like to start feeding him. I'm trying to figure out when he comes around so that I can do so and was thinking about putting some food out and sitting on the porch for a while this weekend. My problem is that I can't afford to keep wasting food if he doesn't show up, so I was wondering if you can reuse the food.

I'm also open to suggestions on brands. I'd like to do what I can for him, but I'm not making the money I need to pay for high quality food. In reality, I'm probably not in the right situation to pay for this cat's food at all, but I'm hoping to change that soon and I can't quite bring myself to watch him go hungry. If anyone has any affordable options, I'll be happy to hear it. Right now we have a really cheap bag of food on hand to start off with. I'll probably have to keep wet cat food to a minimum since it doesn't last long.

I'd be happy to hear any other advice anyone has too. I have no experience with scared strays, let alone a possible feral. We do have a box set up for him under our porch though I haven't seen any signs of it being used by anyone. It's probably not the best location, but our yard is tiny and I figured there it would at least get some extra protection from the weather. It has carpeting lining it and a pad that's supposed to retain heat on the bottom as well as a pile of straw inside and around the outside.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Cat Chow Complete in the blue bag, and Friskies canned.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful of too much dry food though, since it can cause urinary problems in cats. Friskies canned food is only 50 cents for the big can at Walmart.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Upon first encountering feral, wandering, starving Bug outdoors...I slowly enticed him towards my house using dry food. A matter of survival...he'd eat *anything*. Then trying to lure him indoors...he'd inhale a full can of Friskies in about 2 minutes...not picky at all.

11 months now indoor....no longer desperate...he'll actually turn his nose up at flavors he doesn't like. Spoiled? Yup.

Any plans of bringing your guy indoor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful of too much dry food though, since it can cause urinary problems in cats. Friskies canned food is only 50 cents for the big can at Walmart.
I'll keep that in mind! I have a cat who gets UTIs frequently so I know how much fun urinary problems are.

Upon first encountering feral, wandering, starving Bug outdoors...I slowly enticed him towards my house using dry food. A matter of survival...he'd eat *anything*. Then trying to lure him indoors...he'd inhale a full can of Friskies in about 2 minutes...not picky at all.

11 months now indoor....no longer desperate...he'll actually turn his nose up at flavors he doesn't like. Spoiled? Yup.

Any plans of bringing your guy indoor?
It's not even possible at this point in time. I'm only supposed to have two cats and I have three cats and a dog. One of my cats has insecurity issues and I'm lucky to maintain peace as it is. Our house is really too small for them too. I don't have the space to go through proper introductions. If it seems like he's had human contact (which seems likely) then I might try to get him used to humans and rehome him, but I'm not sure how much luck I'd have. I'm still trying to figure out more about him too. I've only seen him once, but just from what little I know about him it seems like it's possible he either had a home or does have one. He doesn't come anywhere near us, but he doesn't dart off the second he sees us either. He's a mystery.