First time experience with a scared cat. Would like to know your insights on this matter.

Kristers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so 4 days ago, my family adopted a black female cat that was rescued about 4 months ago. The lady who rescued her has been living with about +/-10 kittens that she has been taking care of that I know of. She insisted that she would be fine and that the cat is scared, and I completely understood. As we brought her home, she instantly ran around the apartment and, in the end: hid under the bed. So far, so good. Nothing to be surprised of. To this day, we have been trying: not to look at her eyes directly, not make any sound-provocative sounds as to further create stress on the feline, making sure she has open doors to inspect the apartment, so to speak, we change her bowl foods quite often including water of course and not trying to initiate any contact. I'm just beginning to worry if this drags out for at least a month or possibly more. Maybe we should contact the previous owner and see if she would feel better or: not, but that is ONLY if this goes on for +2 months. I have read some info on the web on how to gain a cat's trust, but I would like to know if there is something more that I could do to give her acknowledgment that this is a safe place for her to be in. Thank you very much.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 days ago is not long at all in a cat's world, she is scared witless and it may take a long time for her to adjust. you are doing just right not staring at her, a threat to cats, being quiet as you can, and giving her time to adjust. They are not like dogs and can be forced into accepting situations, they do not have a pack mentality. they are independent, proud creatures, and have been persecuted for centuries, you will be blessed for adopting her!
You do have to try to make her more comfortable being around you. If she is using the litter box and eating at drinking, most likely at night, that is a good start! MANY adult cats start out this way when adopted. I would suggest sitting in the same room with her and reading quietly aloud from your phone or laptop, just so she learns your voice. Leave a couple of cat treats on the floor when you leave. If you have small noisy children around, this may take longer, but she should start taking baby steps out to explore in about two weeks. if you can, close her off in a smaller room, or the room she is in, so she feels safe, and go in several times a day to talk to her.
I have had cats take up to a month to finally come out, but the more time you spend quietly with her the sooner it will be. No sudden movements, no loud voices. I know others will come on to give you ideas too. This WILL happen it just takes time and a lot of it. You can't rush this. It seems forever but the time will come when she is on your lap.
i want to thank you for taking the time to understand her and integrate her into your family. a cat's love is earned and is a precious gift. Please keep us updated on how it is going!

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some cat calming music with purring. It's available on any streaming platform.
You can also try some Feliway.
Depending on the age of the cat she might respond well to catnip.

You can sit in the room and read outloud or watch things on your phone with headphones in. This gets her used to you.

Leave treats at the edge of under the bed to teach her you give food.

It can take some time to feel safe. But with time, cats can really blossom. My late cat Lily began hiding this way too and then she slowly became the type of cat that makes other people get cats (over years).

Another cat I cat-sat for awhile always still hid when we had guests but began to sleep under the covers with me. She had a safe space in the room and would remain calm in the room, she just didn't leave it until the guests left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, people. I'll do my best.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a shelter cat in August. She would hide every time my brother came over and not come out. It took a few months, but now she comes and looks at him..won;t approach, but comes out to see. That took time.
When the front door opened she would find a hiding place and not come out. Now she looks at who is about to approach from the top of the stairs and decides whether she wants to hide or not. That took time.
She used to hide when she heard big trucks on the street. Now she sits in the window and watches them. That took time.
She used to hide when she heard the dog downstairs. Now she just comes to me and tells me the dog is there, and goes back to what she was doing(eating or sleeping lol) That took time.
But above all..she used to sleep at the foot of my bed and wouldn't budge. Since 2 weeks ago she sides up right next to me in bed and falls asleep happy as a clam!. Trust takes a long time it seems, for cats...especially shelter or adopted cats.

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
One more little suggestion would be - if at all possible - to use some of the late evening hours for play and socialization. Most cats usually feel most confident from dusk till dawn (their status changes from prey to predator ;)) and this is usually a good time to offer quiet play ecouragement and experience some positive social interaction.
I went through this with my little semi-feral (I was a walking zombie for a couple of months due to sleep deprivation), but as she started to acclimatize I could start moving everything forward. She is still very skittish towards strangers, but here it also makes a difference at what time of day they appear. If they‘re around in the evenings they‘re more easily accepted (as long as they‘re quiet)
Good luck - it‘s just takes time, patience and love :))