First time cat peed outside of box...

Manda79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back story...
I have shared custody of a dog with my ex. She is 7 and fixed. We have recently( 5 months ago) gotten a 2 year old Male neutered cat. It took some adjusting but they get along great.
Fast forward to today.
Last night the dog went to her other home after being with us for a couple of weeks. I woke up this morning and the cat had peed on her bed 🤬. I am wondering since it hasnt happened before, what could possibly be going on. He doesnt ever go outside the box until some point last night.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not really surprised. It can be several things though. If kitty and doggie are bonded then kitty may be missing doggie. Kitty may also be trying to erase the scent of the dog by covering it with kitty scent. Stress can cause peeing outside the box whether they are bonded or not. Cats don’t enjoy changes as a rule. Another possibility is a UTI. Stress as well as other things can cause a urinary tract infection. It’s usually just a matter of getting a vet check and a round of antibiotics. Is kitty drinking more or less than usual? Ears feel warm? Urine racially strong in color or scent? These could be indicators. Any other things seem different? Make kitties are susceptible to UTIs . I know it’s irritating but cats only do that if they have a reason. If it happens again, please do take notice of any other changes. Please do post back and let us know how things are going. Sorry you had to post with that but welcome to the site!:welcomesign:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Manda79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying! I was wondering if it was because he missed her. He has really warmed up to her these last couple of weeks. I dont think it is due to trying to cover up the dog smell, as the dog is allowed on the couches and in our bed and it was only her bed he peed on. I am hoping it is a 1 time deal and he doesnt pee on anything else.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! I expect he really misses her! He probably is worried about her being missing. Calling attention in the only way he can. If he does it again, be sure to reassure him and let him know that doggie is okay and will return. A missing sibling, including doggies, is scary. Can kitty FaceTime doggie? :) It may seem silly but it might help if the problem continues. If kitty starts going more or other places, a vet check of the urine is a good idea. Often you can just take in a sample. Give the vet a call if it continues. They can advise best.Sending purrs and barks for kitty!:redheartpump: