First Time Cat Owner

desii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. I need some advice/insight.

I am getting new kittens within the next few weeks and am having a lot of anxiety about it. i’m scared i’m not going to take care of them properly and that they aren’t going to get along with my dog i currently have. the kittens are for me and a sibling and we have been wanting them for a while. i have an anxiety disorder so i am probably just making it worse (in my head) than it actually is. i really want to do this right but the more and more i think about it the more and more i get afraid. i’m very excited and know that i want this but i’m just afraid i won’t take care of them properly and i don’t want that. i guess i am asking for insight as to how you were your first time having a kitten/cat. if you had anxiety about it did it get better? did your other pets get along with your cat? how do i know i should do this? (even if it’s just getting one kitten, not for me but for my sibling since i’m having so much anxiety about it) hope this all makes sense thanks in advance <3

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the dog? Usually older dogs (and cats) tend to be more accepting to new pets coming into the house, especially if they are just kittens (or puppies). No need to worry yourself. Just enjoy them when they come.

Just take note that kittens have unlimited energy and are expected to run around the house, climb wherever, hide anywhere, play most of the time. So if you have fragile decors I suggest you keep them or place them at a much safer location. Your couch will be climbed on, so I suggest that you put anti-scratch covers. Give them toys, no need for expensive ones. Even balls of paper will do. Cat trees and scratching posts are a must when you have cats in the house.

Everything will be fine. :)
DO post photos of them when they arrive. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, don't buy them Temptations cat treats! There's a reason we refer to Temptations as "kitty crack"; they seem to be extremely addictive.

Also, you'll probably want to go through the large collection of helpful articles on the site — read the ones that you know you need, and simply bear the others in mind for the time when you do need them, some time down the road.

And remember, we're always here for you. I mean that literally; TCS has members from all over the world, so chances are that no matter what time you post, day or night, someone will read it and respond almost immediately.

And we're all suckers for cat pictures; we'd love to see yours.

Margret

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cat's and dog's living together perfectly fine. The first time when I had my own house that I brought a kitten into the home I already had a dog. I was scared the dog would try and eat the kitten he was a big dog. But he surprised me and was gentle, I had to stop the kitten annoying the dog. It's good that you are concerned about looking after the kitten. Because it means to me you will be fantastic. Margret Margret and Maria Bayote Maria Bayote are right it will be fine and we are here there's always someone to give advice if you need it. And I can't wait to see the pictures.