First time cat owner...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... so happy to hear you're enjoying your first ever kitty. :petcat: She sounds adorable. :catlove:

I've never had a cat that played fetch. In fact, my Ruby doesn't even carry things in her mouth. But members have posted about cats that play fetch before, so though it's not typical cat behaviour, it's not uncommon either.

Hmmm... first heat, eh. She'll probably have a 2nd one before too long. Cats keep having heat cycles until either they are spayed, or get pregnant.

Until you can get her spayed, be very careful around open doors. There's been lots of stories of indoor only female cats who manage to get outside when they're in heat, and once outside it's almost 100% certain they'll come back pregnant.

Here's some TCS articles on spaying and neutering, in case they might be helpful.
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol, a neighbor of mine has a little feline sweetie that LOVES to play fetch, to the point I suggested he try and find another type of interactive toy for her or she would wear out his arm ;)
Two of mine figured out how to play fetch by themselves. They just started bringing the toys back on their own. They are picky about what they will play fetch with though - not every toy is a winner.

My suggestion, to wear him out is to get him to go vertical - I play fetch up the stairs or make them jump and go up and down off of furniture when playing with a wand toy. Done right, you'll get a panting kitten. Then feed him and he'll sleep all night.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Congratulations. It's a kitten.

I'm going through this in reverse with my dogs, since I'm more of a cat person and haven't had puppies since I was a kid. They are very different species, but they can and do get along. I hope your little guy brings lots of joy and surprises to your life and that you are comfortable coming here to ask any questions you might have.

We're a diverse group with lots of different experiences, but what we all have in common is that we love cats and want what is best for them. There is no such thing as a "normal" cat, as my Willow is constantly reminding me, even after a lifetime of very rare and brief periods of catlessness.

Her spay should be shockingly easy to you. Willow hardly seemed to notice hers. My puppy's recovery was much more involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a question. Our cat will be a full time indoor cat. We will never let her out although being in heat she is trying. My wife is now leaning on having her declawed to save the furniture. I am thinking she will stop clawing after spay and maturing. Any advice on whether declawing is ok?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a question. Our cat will be a full time indoor cat. We will never let her out although being in heat she is trying. My wife is now leaning on having her declawed to save the furniture. I am thinking she will stop clawing after spay and maturing. Any advice on whether declawing is ok?
Declawing is just about the worst thing you can do to a Cat. It's not just removing their claws like most people think, it's actually cutting off each digit at the first knuckle. It causes issues like early onset arthritis or constant pain or tenderness which can result in the Cat no longer using the litterbox because the litter hurts their paws. It can also cause a change in behavior, a formerly snuggly Cat can turn into a scared withdrawn Cat or even an aggressive Cat because of constant pain.

In short, it's an evil, evil practice that needs to be done away with. Just don't do that to your Cat. If your furniture is more important then rehoming her would be a better solution.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's against the law in the UK. Hopefully like FeebysOwner has said when your wife finds out what it actually is she will have a change of heart. It also causes problems afterwards. Lots of scratching post and spaying is what I would recommend try putting the post infront of where she is scratching good luck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! With more thoughts of providing you and your wife with other options, there are other versions of this style of scratching post I linked from amazon that can be used for furniture, or you could try double-sided sticky tape attached to something that you then attach to the chair or couch, or use carpet protectors that have the little prongs on one side. Attach that to the furniture with the prong side sticking out.

As mentioned, either use corner scratching posts along with other hanging ones as well as flat on the floor styles, along with different material (sisal is usually the best), which I personally think is your best option, and the most visually attractive.

If you scroll down on this site below, there are even sphere shaped scratchers, and other corner types...
Tucker Murphy Pet Iowa Cat Microsuede Scratching post | Wayfair

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is literally breaking the cat's knuckle. If she were ever able to get outside, she would have no defense against any predator, she would not even be able to escape up a tree.

Can you and your wife have the vet trim her claws? Have you considered using the fake snap-on claws?

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for feedback. We are both animal lovers and this sounds really bad. I promise I will not do this and after my wife reads up on it neither will she. Our vet is really good and probably will give us good advice. Also if anything could possibly cause our cat to stop using the litter box then it’s out..

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! With more thoughts of providing you and your wife with other options, there are other versions of this style of scratching post I linked from amazon that can be used for furniture, or you could try double-sided sticky tape attached to something that you then attach to the chair or couch, or use carpet protectors that have the little prongs on one side. Attach that to the furniture with the prong side sticking out.

As mentioned, either use corner scratching posts along with other hanging ones as well as flat on the floor styles, along with different material (sisal is usually the best), which I personally think is your best option, and the most visually attractive.

If you scroll down on this site below, there are even sphere shaped scratchers, and other corner types...
Tucker Murphy Pet Iowa Cat Microsuede Scratching post | Wayfair
Thanks

There appears to be many options..

Cat Scratching Mat DreamCat Cat Scratch Pad Cat Scratcher Furniture Scratch Guards...

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok another experience. I was walking through master bedroom to go to bathroom. It’s was night time with minimal light. I get about 3 ft from my Chest of Drawers (5ft high) and my eye catches this monster sitting on the top of chest starring at me with glowing eyes. After I realized I was not about to be eaten alive I realized it was my cat. Dogs don’t sit on chest of drawers so I have to get used to these creepy things..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL! That is a cat for you!! While a dog may not actually sit on top of a chest of drawers (surprise, some do), they still do some strange things as well.

If we think they are weird (cats and dogs alike), can you imagine what they think of us?!?! It's not creepy as much as it is funny. Over time you will see that!!!

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to feed her some vet recommended can food. Just a little spoonful twice a day, but she still eats hard food. She has gained weight better. I want her to be fat and lazy eventually.

We love her personality and her noises. She trills hello and talks back. She wakes my wife at 4AM to play so we are trying to not let her nap in evening.

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to feed her some vet recommended can food. Just a little spoonful twice a day, but she still eats hard food. She has gained weight better. I want her to be fat and lazy eventually.

We love her personality and her noises. She trills hello and talks back. She wakes my wife at 4AM to play so we are trying to not let her nap in evening.
Being fat is bad for Cats. Their skeleton is not designed for extra weight and they usually develop arthritis, along with a higher chance for things like diabetes and breathing problems like you see with overweight humans.

baileybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not obese. Just happy and lazy. Purring and chilling ... now she is funny but like a Tasmanian devil.. we are too old for chasing..