First time cat owner looking for a community

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I'm a first time cat owner looking for a community for support and guidance mostly.

My little boy is a 5month old British short hair cross. I got him from a breeder (although i only realised later on they should never have been advertising as british shorthairs in the first place as they are cross and not purebred) and he's amazing and so loving.

I'm finding it hard being a cat owner though, especially a first time cat owner. I am often second guessing myself, worrying about his behaviour and wondering if he's bored, lonely or anxious. Even though I really love him, I have to admit i'm struggling a little bit and im wondering if i am well equipped enough to be a pet owner.

For reference, i've had him for about 3 and a half months. I really don't want to give up on him, so i have come here to seek counsel from experienced cat owners and to get more of an idea if it's just me being totally paranoid or whether his behaviour is a cause for concern. Sorry for the sad vibes, but looking through this forum, it seems like a friendly community and I hope i'll be able to learn some new things from everyone.

Thanks

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There are numerous articles in the top left corner. At his age, he is a teenager. He will like wand toys mostly,cubes,cat condo,canned food 3x a day. Depending on your budget, ff classics,weruv, doctor elseys,wellness core,and so much more
www.catfooddb.com
It is best to have uncovered litterboxes. Mine are storage bins so they can move around. 2 of my cats like ground toys,other air.
Slanted or square scratchers, they love to stretch. They do not like sisal but do like corrugated cardboard. Finally, welcome to tcs!!!
Enjoy! Kittens are so much fun. Scratching under thier ear is thier fav spot to be scratched. If he is scared, get down at his level. And chew toys
downloadfile0_UG.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It feels like a big responsibility owning a pet as they are so dependent on you. Make sure he is getting the best food you can afford, he has water and find time to play with him. Cats are quite independent and will amuse themselves so leave some toys around for him to play with and they sleep a lot. Have him checked with a vet if it will help you feel easier.
There is a wealth of knowledge on this site so if you have any questions just post them but try and relax and enjoy him. Pist a photo of him for us to see.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! We're so glad to have you with us. WHAT a cutie-pie he is! Is he named yet? I cannot just call him "Whatshisface!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! We're so glad to have you with us. WHAT a cutie-pie he is! Is he named yet? I cannot just call him "Whatshisface!"
HAhahaha his name is Humphrey!!!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahahah there's definitely something so extra special about blue and white kitties imo! Esp when they have the pink nose and paws

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahahah there's definitely something so extra special about blue and white kitties imo! Esp when they have the pink nose and paws
Yes! Daisy’s the first grey (or blue) and white I’ve had. Two tuxies and one mask and mantle like her, but they were all black and white. She’s the most affectionate cat, she even gives Phoebe a run for her money. She’s currently tucked in my armpit while I’m lying on the bed trying to type!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww that's so lovely!!!! i love an affectionate kitty, very happy that humphrey has been that way. Nothing makes me happier than giving him cuddles and kisses and then hearing him purr or give me a little lick on the nose

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
depositphotos_100748474-stock-illustration-cat-with-hello.jpg
mxphs and Humphrey, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
5eef284e192de88a7653ef4d4028733f.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Humphrey is a handsome dude! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of Humphrey and we have a special thread here for both of them here in bi-color-kitties-only.85808 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitties are up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Since you you are a new cat owner, do read the articles below to orientate yourself on taking care of a cat.

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
mxphs mxphs welcome to TCS! there lots of people here to chat with and get good advice from ... congrats on the new addition to your family

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: You've come to the right place to ask anything about cats or being a cat parent, as this site is super friendly, and has lots of very knowledgeable members.

If there's anything specific you want to ask about, it might be best to start a new thread in the applicable forum.
But for what it's worth, Humphrey looks purrfectly healthy and happy :catlove:

acatfromtheeast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to comment and say hi - you've inspired me to start an account after seeing your post! I am a new cat mama too, having adopted two little cuties about 7 weeks ago. I have found it such an intense and much more difficult experience than I ever imagined I would, and it's so reassuring to come onto forums like this and have people who can relate to this new experience. If it helps you to have another kitten owner that is still learning, I'd be happy to chat at any point! :)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huge welcome! Awesome to have you join us! Your kitty is a super cutie :hearthrob:

Adjustments are normal when it comes to a new pet. It is wonderful that you care and want what's best, yet at the same time don't over think it! No doubt your cat is happy, comfortable and loves you very much. As long as cats have the basics like warmth, safety, love, good food and water and a couple of things to play with, they are quite content and relaxed.

At 5 months he might just be a naturally quiet and chilled little guy, cats have their own personalities just like humans ;) And you never know, he might reach his teenage peak soon and become more likely and rambunctious.

In any case, we are here for you whenever you have concerns or worries! You are not alone!

Again, huge welcome

:hugs:

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to comment and say hi - you've inspired me to start an account after seeing your post! I am a new cat mama too, having adopted two little cuties about 7 weeks ago. I have found it such an intense and much more difficult experience than I ever imagined I would, and it's so reassuring to come onto forums like this and have people who can relate to this new experience. If it helps you to have another kitten owner that is still learning, I'd be happy to chat at any point! :)
Hey acatfromtheeast!!!

I know the feeling, i felt soo downtrodden when i got humphrey at firfst because i had no idea wht i as in for. Just knew that i adored cats and wanted one to call my own. It literally feels so life changing to have him, in the best ways but also in the most challenging ways too. It feels like bringing up children but you don't know what they want and they can't speak english.

Everyone here has been so amazing and welcoming which just affirms my love for cats and the wider cat community in general. Please share your experiences, i love to hear from other new cat owners to give myself more perspective :grouphug:

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mxphs mxphs how are you doing today ? my name is Jenn and i have 3 female cats named lily rose, lucky and stardust
awww hello honey babies!!! and hi striderrose, im doing well. Hope you are also doing well too