First time cat owner - kitten / adult cat / one v two

RobertaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking at getting a British shorthair for my daughter and I (she is 11). As a first time cat owner, I am thinking of adopting an adult cat - as much as the kitten stage is super cute, I think it may be easier to get an adult cat, plus the temperament and personality of the cat is established. My daughter is a very sensitive and loving girl and it's important we have a calm, loving cat. I have found a really good breeder and have options to get one or two kittens soon, but also another breeder I've been in touch with has an adult pair of sisters (both british shorthairs) who do look gorgeous. I think they are two years old. I think having two adult bonded cats could work for me as I do travel sometimes, so they could keep each other company (with a cat sitter popping in), and I'm just looking for advice and thoughts from people who've experienced this! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through a similar situation to you, though I ended up taking home an 8 month old teenager rather than an adult or pair, as the breeder didn’t have adults available at the time. If you can afford to keep two cats, I’d definitely go with the two young adult girls, especially if their temperament suits you and your daughter. They’re still going to have the vivaciousness of young cats, without the crazy energy, and they have established personalities. A bonded pair of cats will keep each other very good company when you’re not home, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RobertaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through a similar situation to you, though I ended up taking home an 8 month old teenager rather than an adult or pair, as the breeder didn’t have adults available at the time. If you can afford to keep two cats, I’d definitely go with the two young adult girls, especially if their temperament suits you and your daughter. They’re still going to have the vivaciousness of young cats, without the crazy energy, and they have established personalities. A bonded pair of cats will keep each other very good company when you’re not home, as well.
Thank you that's so helpful

RobertaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the cat you adopted settle ok?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! She’s a very lovely, people oriented cat. Took her a week to fully settle in, but first day with me she snuck out of the room I set aside for her to settle in when I was leaving and ended up sleeping in bed with me the first night :>

Jumanji’s breeder sadly passed away two months ago, and I took in Chips, Jum’s dad, currently a show neuter. He’s turning 4 in June, and he only took a few days to settle in.

RobertaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! She’s a very lovely, people oriented cat. Took her a week to fully settle in, but first day with me she snuck out of the room I set aside for her to settle in when I was leaving and ended up sleeping in bed with me the first night :>

Jumanji’s breeder sadly passed away two months ago, and I took in Chips, Jum’s dad, currently a show neuter. He’s turning 4 in June, and he only took a few days to settle in.
that's so cute!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello R RobertaG and welcome to TCS. Where are you located? I know a couple of British Shorthair breeders/owners who could give you more information about the breed. If you send me a PM (Conversation) I'll may be able to get you in contact with them.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats can change the best laid plans. When I adopted Neko-chan, I was looking at adults. Kittens are seriously cute, but exhausting. When none of the adults clicked with us,we were going to leave. Then we heard a tiny kitten mew. After playing and cuddling with her, we ended up bringing home an 11week old kitten instead of a teen to young adult. So keep your mind open, sometimes the cats do the choosing for you.