First time cat owner, Found Kitten!

reyesx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just joined this forum because I am seeking advice from other cat owners since i’ve never owned a cat. A little over two weeks ago, a friend found a tiny kitten under her car she was alone there was no sign of the mom being around and she took her in. She couldn’t keep the kitten so I decided to give this kitten a fighting chance. She was roughly about 3/4 weeks when I got her. I started feeding her kitten formula until she started eating soft canned kitten food. She’s currently eating Purina Pro Plan kitten canned food. I’m feeding her one can of 3oz soft food a day, I divide the can in 3 and give it to her throughout the day. She’s adapting very well to my home, she uses her litter and eats a lot sometimes I feel like I should feed her more. Anyways, I took her to the Animal Shelter to get her shots but since she was so small they weren’t able to do anything to her. I plan on taking her this week to get her FVRCP shot. I don’t know if she has any worms/parasites. Since she was a stray she may have ? However, her poop is clear. I still would like to deworm her. I gave her a flea bath and she shows no symptoms of having fleas or ticks. I’m posting this because I just want to make sure i’m doing everything correctly, I have grown really attached to her and I really want her to thrive and be healthy. I am planning on starting to mix Permatrin hard kitten food with her soft food but i don’t know if mixing Purina soft food with Performatrin hard is a good idea. Anyways, thank you in advance! Any tips are welcomed.

*kara*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet will likely give her a dewormer med when you take her for vaccinations. Also be a good idea to start flea preventative meds - there are a few options.

As for feeding - wet food is preferable to dry because cats have a low thirst drive. If you can afford a fully wet food diet, great. The Fancy Feast pates are quite affordable and a great option. If you would like to combo feed, wet and dry should be fed separately in case kitty doesn't finish all you give.

I wouldn't limit amount of food at this age. She is growing very rapidly right now. Personally, I always fed wet food 2 times a day and left dry out at all times at this age. Once she is 6m old, reassess food needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reyesx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet will likely give her a dewormer med when you take her for vaccinations. Also be a good idea to start flea preventative meds - there are a few options.

As for feeding - wet food is preferable to dry because cats have a low thirst drive. If you can afford a fully wet food diet, great. The Fancy Feast pates are quite affordable and a great option. If you would like to combo feed, wet and dry should be fed separately in case kitty doesn't finish all you give.

I wouldn't limit amount of food at this age. She is growing very rapidly right now. Personally, I always fed wet food 2 times a day and left dry out at all times at this age. Once she is 6m old, reassess food needs.
Thank you very much! About the flea preventive meds, where can I get that ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Treat Fleas In Young Kittens – TheCatSite Articles
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

She can be spayed at around 4 months, at least in most places. My cat vet limits vaccines to two at a time so as to not overload the immune system of kittens. When you take her for her FVRCP vaccine they can give you advice about wormers. Don't use something over the counter as most are pesticides and don't use any Hartz products on her.

Flea preventative meds mean various products that control fleas. Some are OTC like Advantage and some are prescription like Revolution. Others are oral. Most need to be prescribed by weight and age. If you buy Advantage, get it for kittens and make sure that her age and weight correspond. Any Petsmart or pet store will have Advantage. Make sure to get cat Advantage if you go that way and do not use the dog product on her. You might discuss flea preparations when she gets her vaccine, especially since you don't see any on her. If you gave her a flea bath, I would personally wait before using another product. Supposedly many are safe back to back but I have never chanced it as they are are insecticides of one kind or another.

Feed her as much as she wants at this age. It is very kind of you to give her a good home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll simply reiterate what has been said before...at this age, you cannot overfeed her. And I'd give four meals a day for the next several weeks. She's burning calories as fast as she takes them in at this point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, and if she has no fleas you do not need to treat her. You do not want to overload her system with vaccines and chemicals all at once at this tender age. Also be advised that some kittens may vomit, go off their food, or feel puny and sleep a lot for a few days after vaccines.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add, if you plan to have her as inside only, you wont need to overdo her future deworming and flea treatment. Do it good now, so you are sure she is clean. After this you prob wont need never to do it again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...as for flea treatments...depending on where you live, you won't need to worry about fleas a lot on an inside cat. HOWEVER...if you live in the South, or in a warm, damp climate, fleas are prone to hitchhiking in on pants legs, etc. The worst flea infestation I ever had happened at a time when I had no animals at all...it was just a bad year for them, and my yard was HOPPING with the little beggars. Also, if you live in an area with mosquitos, do use a flea treatment that also prevents heart worms. Yes, cats can get them, and there is no treatment for them in cats. Many cats manage to throw them off, but some cannot.