First Time Cat Mom

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I've been on the site a few days. Sorry I'm just now getting to introduce myself, and my baby. I initially came here for some advice on his terrible herpes flare up, so with all the stress of his illness, I couldn't muster the cheer for an intro.

He's doing better now, so here I am!

I never thought I'd have a cat. I have had dogs my whole life, and I know them. I don't know if it's because I didn't "know" cats, but I just never felt connected to any.

Until....2 weeks ago when I was turning a carpet cleaner to PetSmart. It was kind of serendipity, because I'd returned the cleaner and realized I left the attachment at home....20 minutes away. Rather than pay the late fee, I drove home for the attachment.

When I got back, the lady from the adoption center had just dropped off a few new cats, and was leaving. I don't know why, but I wandered back to look. That's when the most precious little orange kitty reached for me through the glass. I played with him for a few minutes through the glass, as the center was closed. I went home, and couldn't get him off my mind...mainly what the man standing next to me had said. "A cat like that doesn't belong here."

I was at PetSmart the next day the minute the adoption center opened, carrier in hand.

Chester owned me within seconds, and I couldn't be happier.

He's fitting in beautifully with my 2 dogs....even sleeps with the older one. The rabbit doesn't care too much for him, but Trix (bunny) has his own room, so no big deal.

My daughter, who has always begged for a cat, is over the moon. She couldn't pick her jaw off the floor when I told her we were getting a cat. Lol.

So....here I am. 2 weeks ago, I was not a cat person. Now I'm spending an hour a day reading on a cat forum, and I've spent roughly $700 on him.

OWNED

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't, but I'll take a look. Thanks!

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 to TCS!

What a lovely adoption story. Chester is so lucky to have such a dedicated and devoted mom. It sounds like he's really warmed up to you and the furry members of your family.
I was also going to suggest the herpes/lactoferin link that @betsygee  posted.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and glad to hear that you're enjoying the site! 

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I know exactly how you feel! When I adopted my Zoey a few months ago we had a rough time with a herpes flare up!

I adopted her from a local shelter, she was days away from her euthanization date! I got her home and two days later her eye was so swollen that you couldn't see her eye ball. I was terrified, and after an emergency trip to the vet, I found out that while see was pawing at her eye, she scratched her cornea. She then spent the next 3 weeks in an e-collar, but she's been doing fine since!

I was so excited that an already spayed Zoey was going to cost me $12 and then I spent about $500 on her in two weeks!

She's my princess and is totally worth it if I do say so myself! She's priceless!

I'm so glad you gave Chester a home!

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I know exactly how you feel! When I adopted my Zoey a few months ago we had a rough time with a herpes flare up!

I adopted her from a local shelter, she was days away from her euthanization date! I got her home and two days later her eye was so swollen that you couldn't see her eye ball. I was terrified, and after an emergency trip to the vet, I found out that while see was pawing at her eye, she scratched her cornea. She then spent the next 3 weeks in an e-collar, but she's been doing fine since!

I was so excited that an already spayed Zoey was going to cost me $12 and then I spent about $500 on her in two weeks!

She's my princess and is totally worth it if I do say so myself! She's priceless!

I'm so glad you gave Chester a home!
It was so scary!

Have you had any other flare ups?

I know they can have recurrences, mostly when they get stressed. I'm trying super hard to keep his routine perfectly...because I do not want to go through this again. I felt so bad for him. He got so sick, he was lethargic to the point he just laid there like a doll. I was never so happy to wake up to a cat scratching my furniture as I was today. He's back to life and playing again.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! What a sweet story. I'm so happy for you and your new best friend!

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was so scary!

Have you had any other flare ups?

I know they can have recurrences, mostly when they get stressed. I'm trying super hard to keep his routine perfectly...because I do not want to go through this again. I felt so bad for him. He got so sick, he was lethargic to the point he just laid there like a doll. I was never so happy to wake up to a cat scratching my furniture as I was today. He's back to life and playing again.
 No we've not had any major flare ups since the initial one! I know it was terrifying, I was literally crying hysterically on the phone with my vet!

They proscribed her lysine until her eye got better, and then told me she did not need to be on it except during flare ups. I give her a pump when I think something could stress her out as a preventative measure (me going out of town and my dad is feeding her)

We just got a new kitten, yesterday, so I'm going to give it to her once a day until she gets used to the new one. She likes it and thinks of it as a treat!

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told to keep him on a maintenance dose of 250mg twice daily after this goes away (he's on twice that now, plus some heavy antibiotic eye drops and oral amoxicillin). His case was so bad, I just don't want to take any chances. Plus, he has 1 "weird" eye anyways. It's smaller, and all black, where the other is a normal, amber colored cat eye. I've gotten 3 stories on why the eye is that way, but have been assured that his vision is fine.

So glad you haven't had anymore flare ups. That gives me lots of hope that this one was just from the stress of moving, and I can keep it under control.

Thank you! Good luck with Zoey. She's adorable.