First Show: How Do You Bathe/groom Ragdolls?

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gorgeous little Ragdoll boy will make his debut at our very first show at the end of August. I am having a hard time finding any information on how to bathe and groom kittens to show. Can anyone offer techniques on how to grow a healthy coat, and bathe and groom Ragdolls to show? We really want to make a good first impression. Thank you!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! It's awesome that you're interested in showing! I've never shown personally, but I attend shows all over my area and have gotten to know several breeders. All of them only show shorthaired cats, though, so I don't know much about what goes in to prepping a longhair, but some general tips I've heard are to bathe your cat with a cat-specific shampoo three days before the show (this allows time for the natural oils to return, making the coat nice and shiny!) on the day of the show, you'll want to be sure you've brushed everywhere, including the stomach and pantaloons. Before going to the judging ring, do a quick check just to be sure he's clean (what you don't want is to bring a cat to the judging ring who came out of the litterbox and isn't completely... presentable yet), and do a last quick brush. I've also seen people brushing longhairs with loofahs, I suppose to remove any extra, loose fur. Also be sure that his nails are trimmed and you've washed his face to remove any eye goo. If you invite friends over to do a mock judging, that might help make him more comfortable when it's the real deal. Other posters will likely have more specific tips for you.

Best of luck in your first show! The cat fancy is an exciting world, and you'll undoubtedly make many new friends, and bond with your kitty along the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! It's awesome that you're interested in showing! I've never shown personally, but I attend shows all over my area and have gotten to know several breeders. All of them only show shorthaired cats, though, so I don't know much about what goes in to prepping a longhair, but some general tips I've heard are to bathe your cat with a cat-specific shampoo three days before the show (this allows time for the natural oils to return, making the coat nice and shiny!) on the day of the show, you'll want to be sure you've brushed everywhere, including the stomach and pantaloons. Before going to the judging ring, do a quick check just to be sure he's clean (what you don't want is to bring a cat to the judging ring who came out of the litterbox and isn't completely... presentable yet), and do a last quick brush. I've also seen people brushing longhairs with loofahs, I suppose to remove any extra, loose fur. Also be sure that his nails are trimmed and you've washed his face to remove any eye goo. If you invite friends over to do a mock judging, that might help make him more comfortable when it's the real deal. Other posters will likely have more specific tips for you.

Best of luck in your first show! The cat fancy is an exciting world, and you'll undoubtedly make many new friends, and bond with your kitty along the way.
Thank you so much :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since grooming requirements are different for different breeds, I have messaged a couple of Ragdoll breeders I know and will post when I hear from them. Time requirements for baths vary, for instance. A Singapura breeder I know baths her cats a week before the show and lets them air dry, while some Persian people I know bath the morning of the show and spend several hours getting the coat completely dry with a dryer.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few questions that were asked when I got a reply: Age? Color? Sex? Neutered or not? I saw that it is a male, kitten by rereading the above, but still need to know color and if neutered.

I just heard back from one. Grooming ( bathing) is much the same as a Persian. Here is what he said:"They want them clean and fuzzy. Thats it. But not to soft. The judges don't want them to feel like a Persian coat. They are more silky and crisp."
I asked if there was any sculpting like with Persians and he said no. I have to go to work now so tomorrow I will give a run down on what I use for shampoos if you waant.

Last edited:

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for looking into this! My Ragdoll boy is neutered, and he's 6 months old....and weighs 9 pounds! He's a solid cream bicolor, Which means he's mostly white with cream colored points and a hint of his cream mask. His coat is very soft.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shampoos I use in the order I use them are: Dawn (50/50 with water), Chris Christensen Clean Start clarifying shampoo, a color brightening shampoo (depends on the color of the cat which I use - Jerob Parisian purple for silvers or Mahogany, Gold for goldens) and finally Chris Christensen Thick and Thicker foaming protein. Dawn degreases the coat, Clean Start removes any product like the volumizer I use before blow drying for a show, the color brightening shampoo enhances the color and the Thick and Thicker gives volume. When finished with the bath I also use a volumizing mousse before drying. I am still waitnig to hear from the other breeder and will post if he gets back to me.

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shampoos I use in the order I use them are: Dawn (50/50 with water), Chris Christensen Clean Start clarifying shampoo, a color brightening shampoo (depends on the color of the cat which I use - Jerob Parisian purple for silvers or Mahogany, Gold for goldens) and finally Chris Christensen Thick and Thicker foaming protein. Dawn degreases the coat, Clean Start removes any product like the volumizer I use before blow drying for a show, the color brightening shampoo enhances the color and the Thick and Thicker gives volume. When finished with the bath I also use a volumizing mousse before drying. I am still waitnig to hear from the other breeder and will post if he gets back to me.
Thank you! Oh, Lord! I didn't think about hair products...what mousse (not mouse :) ) do you recommend?

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere out there, there are better looking cats than Deb Parks' Ragdolls - and I want to visit that planet.

MsKatieB MsKatieB - you made a great choice going with one of Deb's cats; you clearly don't like losing are serious about showing. Do you intend to breed, and if so, will you be using one (or some) of RiteRags' gorgeous cats as Foundations? Come on - let's see some photos of the apple of Alonzo's eye!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Riterags is a great breeder! I don't think I've ever met them in a show before, but I have heard (and can clearly see!) that they produce beautiful, healthy cats.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riterags is a great breeder! I don't think I've ever met them in a show before, but I have heard (and can clearly see!) that they produce beautiful, healthy cats.
...and usually covered in ribbons. She has some kind of magic touch, because they produce one SGC after another. Deb might be the most consistent breeder in the Cat Fancy these days.

Hey - I actually remembered the original thread title!

Does A Ragdoll And Ragamuffin Result In Ragdoll?

Last edited:

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 192625 in
Somewhere out there, there are better looking cats than Deb Parks' Ragdolls - and I want to visit that planet.

MsKatieB MsKatieB - you made a great choice going with one of Deb's cats; you clearly don't like losing are serious about showing. Do you intend to breed, and if so, will you be using one (or some) of RiteRags' gorgeous cats as Foundations? Come on - let's see some photos of the apple of Alonzo's eye!
Lol! Yes, I found Riterags after a bad experience with another breeder who was passing off mixed kittens as Pedigreed Ragdolls. We were looking for a true Ragdoll kitten. Once I found Deb, I knew my search was over. Deb said our baby is show quality, and he's one of her favorites. We were so thrilled with our Ragdoll, we decided it would be fun to show him, and see how it goes! We have never done anything like this, so we know nothing! We have no intentions to breed, and we don't know how we feel about showing yet. Here are a few pics of Riterags Lexus. He's such a sweet boy!

Last edited: