First rabbit!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope. Don't know what that is like at all....

20210530_092922.jpg

:flail::flail:

It's actually one of the reasons my custom hutch is 100% detachable or openable. There isn't a single spot in the hutch I can't get to if I need to. It was one of my design parameters, it either opens, detachs or can be moved without any tools. Too many instances of both kitties where they should be or bunnies refusing to cooperate. Although my cats universally will run if the bunny gets too close; they are used to a fence between them. Link got locked in with Frodo one time when he snuck in while I was cleaning. He was very not happy with the whole experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rune is still doing well, but I think she's a little confused...

cattree1.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys loves the high spot too. We once found her six feet up on the cat walkway. That looks relatively safe but be careful with heights and buns. Their bones are made for big drops.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rune is still doing well and getting bigger. She's a little over four months old now and weighs about 7 lbs. I let her roam free about 2-3 hours after work Monday through Thursday, but Fridays and the weekend she's out the whole day. Still no problems with the cats and she's still pretty well behaved, though she did find one of my phone charging cables that I forgot to put away or cover up.

Fortunately she has lost interest in the cat tree, but she's started exploring in the attic. Fortunately there is nothing up there that can harm her, but I wasn't planning on having an attic rabbit! I'm just glad it hasn't occurred to her to go downstairs to the first floor of the house yet because there's a lot of things she could get into trouble with down there. If she starts showing interest I might have to get creative with some baby gates, but I feel bad about doing that because of Meko, my three legged cat. Although she'd probably be able to figure out how to jump over a gate eventually, she's mostly just looked really sad and pathetic every time I've put one up.

I talked to the vet about getting her spayed and they want to wait until she's 6 months, so a few more months until that happens.

rune4.JPG
rune3.JPG

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I haven't updated this in awhile!

Rune got fixed a few months ago. And surprise, surprise, the *breeder* was right, not the vet at his first appointment -- Rune is a boy!

Anyway, he's still doing very well and continues to get along great with the cats.

runekismet.JPG

He also likes to play with my nibling's toys, LOL.

runetoys.JPG

Question, how often should a rabbit go to the vet? He was last there at around 6 months of age to get neutered, but I'm wondering if I should schedule another check-up for when he turns one year, which will be coming up here in a couple of months. No health problems that I know of, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get him checked out since I'm still not familiar with what his teeth and claws should look like, if he's grinding down his teeth appropriately and if I am trimming the claws enough.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Question, how often should a rabbit go to the vet?
I take my buns once every 12 months (12 months from last 12 month exam, I don’t count emergency or problem specific appointments). But I am a little aggressive with vet care also, since I am in a RHDV2 impacted area its a vaccine appointment too.

In your case, I'd do 12 months from neuter or when he needs his next vaccine whatever happens first if he has a vaccine. For tooth and claw. Claw is pretty easy because it's easy to see. If Rune is catching on things it is time or just trim them every 12 weeks or so along with a nice groom. I take mine to the local rabbit resuce and they do grooming as a fundraiser. Tooth is very much a vet thing and you don't want to mess that one up. However, since Rune is pretty young I wouldn't worry now. Once you get going on your annual your vet should be able to tell you early if there is dental work needed or not. Ideally, with lots of hay and chew toys you won't ever need to do dental work. I've only had one rabbit who ended up needing any dental work and all the rest never did.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE those Giants! I saw my first one years ago at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I couldn't believe how ginormous they can be.

We used to have a rabbit that roamed free in our backyard. (We had a lot of tree cover and it still had a rabbit hutch that we used for a while. It never once tried to escape). We weren't very creative with his (or her) name of "Thumper." It used to play soccer all day long. Lol! We had two dogs at the time and neither of them paid much attention to each other. In the hottest part of the day it would live beneath our deck.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven’t posted an update on Rune in awhile!

He’s still doing great. 10.5 lbs, so not as big as I though he’s get, but I’m perfectly happy with his size! He’s been very well-behaved and still gets along well with the cats.

He had his first yearly check-up on Friday and got a clean bill of health. I talked to the vet about RHDV2 vaccines and they are working on trying to get them, so hopefully he will be able to get it soon.

Last month I was taking a trip a 12 hour drive away and found out the person who usually watches him when I’m away wouldn’t be able to do so. Although I know stress is bad for rabbits, Rune’s always been very chill about going places and calm in the car, so I thought I would give it a shot and take him with me since the people I was visiting were cool with it and wanted to meet him.

He did so well! He was fine on the drive down, and within minutes of getting to my friends’ house, he had jumped on their laps (people he never met before) on his own and was licking their arms. He spent lots of time cuddled up on their couch with us watching TV and playing with their dog’s toys (he did not meet the dog). I think he legitimately enjoyed it, which shocked me!