First Mate Canned Food

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone out there used First Mate canned food. I have for the past year been feeding it to my 2 indoor cats, they seem to love the chicken and turkey flavors. It is a single ingredient but does use potatoes in the ingredients. The protein on a caloric basis is 43%, fat is 37% and carb is 20%. I know that is a bit high but I also have never given my guys processed commercial cat treats. I cook skinless chicken thighs and then use the Balance It auto receipe maker, make one serving per receipe with Carnivore Blend and give about half an ounce which is 70 calories of a good home cooked treat. Total calories for my guys is about 200 calories a day.

Any one else ever used First Mate or Balance It. I am not ready to go 100% home cooked but at least they get about an ounce a day of real chicken with a can of canned cat food. Any comments appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just bumping this up for you. I believe this is a Canadian food, correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it’s from Canada.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it’s from Canada.
It is also listed on Dr Lisa Pierson chart so you can see the protein, fat and carb content. The carb is high but not as bad as dry foods.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used it in the rotation of foods I offer. I've also used Kasiks which is also Canadian. I've wondered if it is the same company. Chicken is the winner for both labels.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used it in the rotation of foods I offer. I've also used Kasiks which is also Canadian. I've wondered if it is the same company. Chicken is the winner for both labels.
It is the same company. First Mate is limited ingredients, no grains, etc. BPH free cans, a good food but the carb content is a bit high. Are you still feeding it and what are your thoughts. I only give my 2 guys chicken and turkey?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm feeding The Beast first mate's salmon every now and then along with a variety of other things thru the week. I'm working to avoid feeding only one manufacturer, and I'm throwing some raw in his diet along with onion free chicken baby food. What with trying to avoid bad ingredients such as menadione combined with his finicky nose/palate, I figure if he eats it, it's in the rotation.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you heard about Dr. Elsey clean canned food.? Or anyone else too. What do you think about the carb level of 20% caloric TNA?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is the same company. First Mate is limited ingredients, no grains, etc. BPH free cans, a good food but the carb content is a bit high. Are you still feeding it and what are your thoughts. I only give my 2 guys chicken and turkey?
The chicken is more popular than the turkey. I still include it, but not every week.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting that it's the same company. Those foods do look very similar and my cats' reactions are the same to both brands - they don't like them. I don't blame them as they tend to look very unappetizing, but it's annoying as I'd like to buy Canadian and First Mate is a cheaper brand.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting that it's the same company. Those foods do look very similar and my cats' reactions are the same to both brands - they don't like them. I don't blame them as they tend to look very unappetizing, but it's annoying as I'd like to buy Canadian and First Mate is a cheaper brand.
What do you feed your cats?

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of Balance It Carnoivore blend to use with cooked food using an autobalancer receipe?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you feed your cats?
I feed them a rotation of canned food, plus kibble. Wiggies gets about 2/3 of his diet as kibble and Pushy gets 90% wet. At this point I use so many brands that I can't list them! It's basically got to where I just want something different to give them everyday, so I buy whatever's on sale and stock up.